Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #1  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Question Exercise order?

I started working out with Curves, then added TransFirmation (5 days of cardio/strength DVD per week) about couple weeks later, and I'm now waiting on Pilates DVD, and today started C25K. I'm trying to put them altogether but am not sure how. For example, today was Cardio day for TransFirmation...Well, I did C25K and without thinking that much about it, I just did the Cardio I was supposed to today. Now my thighs are sore... :P

I read it somewhere to do Cardio one day then Strength the next. I also read somewhere Cardio+Stretching (yoga, pilates), then Strength+Stretching the next day, and so on... So many different "stories" I read on the "order" of workout...

So any ideas?
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hi, I do cardio every day, and a weights/resistance training session 2-3x a week, plus 2 classes which combine the 2, plus I do cardio machines at my gym. And swim. And run. I'm confused already...This is not helpful! Here is a typical week.

Sunday 1 hr. kickboxing, 20 minutes elliptical (sometimes I swim) for a total of about 1.5 hours cardio.

Monday a combo cardio/weights class, 1 hour, and about 30 minutes on the elliptical, or swim. Sometimes I will do a dance class at night for 1 hour (not that often). Total of 1 hour cardio and 1/2 hr. weights

Tuesday: Weights class, step class. 1 hour each cardio and resistance.

Wednesday: kickboxing class, 30 minutes elliptical, for 1.5 hrs. cardio

Thursday: weights class, swim for at least 30 minutes. I also do a combo step/weights class later in the afternoon. 1.5 hrs. resisitance; 1 hrs cardio more or less

Friday: Can be anything. I usually see how I am feeling to decide if I want to do more weights, or just swim for an hour. I usually do not do more than 1 hr.

Saturday: High impact aerobics class and elliptical for 30 minutes, or else swim for 30 minutes - 1.5 hours of cardio. Sometimes, though, if I'm tired, I do an aqua aerobics class and swim instead.

I add yoga occasionally at the gym, and I do it at home as well, but just when I feel like it. Also, I may choose the treadmill instead of the elliptical but I usually like the elliptical better.

In the summer my schedule is all changed, so I may run some and swim rather than do classes as much, but this is pretty much it. I don't know if it helps. I worked out this routine after some trial and error and according to what my fitness level was and my time (how it fit with the classes at the gym, as I really like working out in a group). I try not to do weights each day as it really can make me stiff and sore, but I do try to do 1 hour of cardio every day of the week.

So I think it depends on your level of fitness and what activities you enjoy. if you're trying to burn calories (duh, who isn't? guess I forgot) that will influence you too. I try to get in a certain # of calories a week and if I have to miss a day of exercise (and I do just about anything including getting up at 5 AM to run if I have to, not to mention that several times I've been at the gym as it opened at 5 AM!) I try to adjust.

Good luck!
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Geranium gave some good advice. Sounds like you have plenty of cardio going on, so if it seems too much, you might cut down on the Transfirmation and just do more of the strength training there, maybe 3 days a week, combined with the pilates, then next day curves/C25K, switch them out like that for 6 days, and take a rest day once a week. You could split those, if needed, like transfirmation strength training in morning, pilates that afternoon/eve, next day curves in the morning, c25k in the evening. Something like that? Basically, if it works for your schedule, you're having fun, and you're not crippled, you're doing fine!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote