Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #1  

Default Eating before or after exercising

I need help! I exercise after work. (I teach school) I'm often hungry before exercising and am not sure what kind of snack I should have before going....then after exercising I'm hungry again. I usually try to have a V-8 afterwards. Today I had 2 cheese crackers before, and 2 after with the V-8. Does this sound like a good idea? What are some better choices? I'm trying to do WW, so I can pretty much have anything suggested as long as I plan for it.
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi Lisa,

I'm no expert, but I like to eat a banana prior to working out. It gives me enough energy to get through my workout, and it is easy to digest, so it doesn't weigh me down or make me feel uncomfortable.

I eat lunch (salad with lean protein) directly after I workout, so I can't really give snack suggestions there.

Good luck!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #3  

Thanks for the advice. For some reason, I never thought of eating a banana before my workout. LOL, funny how some things are right in your face and you never think of it. Maybe after working out, I'll just try to eat some veggies while I cook supper or something. I'm sure when I get use to working out, I won't feel so famished afterwards. I might even try a little peanut butter for some protein.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #4  

A nice crudite plate with a low-fat dip or hummus would probably make cooking dinner and warding off starvation possible after the gym. You could try a hard-boiled egg, too, as these can be made in advance (and stored in the fridge) and are an excellent source of protein. And they're yummy.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #5  

Ok, I just have to ask...I see people mention hummus all the time..what is it?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

If you are trying to lose weight, have a balanced mini-meal an hour before, like some veggies and cheese, or a small whole grin sandwich with tuna or chicken. Then after your workout have some protein: a protein shake or a few cubes of cheese will give your body what it needs without weighting you down.

If you aroe going to do weights, you can add more starches to your pre-workout meal.
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #7  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Sometimes in that hour or so b/4 dinner and I'm really, really starving -- a spoon of peanut butter (maybe a large teaspoon but not more than a tablespoon) mixed w/a small handful of raisins will ward off the hunger pangs. Eat it slowly and give it a chance to curb your appetite. I've found that eating a snack before I get ravenous helps keep me from getting that hungry. If I wait until my tumbly is really rumbly, then no little snack seems to shut it up.
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/153/128

Height: 5'3" or 5'2.5" not sure

Post work walk and after work workout

Hi, i'm new at this.. i've been doing weight watchers and have lost almost 10 lbs in 5 weeks. However, lately it's been only one pound a week.

I stay within my point range and i walk (low intensity) for about 30 min during my lunch break. Then when i get home, i have dinner and then i work out for 35 or 40 min. I usually jump ropefor 20 min then work out to a YOGA dvd.

Is there anything you'd suggest to speed up my metabolism?

Last edited by wacky droll; 04-24-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: tracker addition
wacky droll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa36 View Post
Ok, I just have to ask...I see people mention hummus all the time..what is it?
Hummus is a middle eastern dip made with chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice and olive oil. It's incredibly easy to make and you can add lots of different things to it for flavoring. (You can also buy it at the store in one of a dozen different varieties.) My personal recipe involves roasted garlic, cumin and cayenne. Yum!!!