Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #1  
McPheever! Yey!

Height: 5'4"

Default My legs itch when I jog...why?

Why does my legs itch when I jog? I mean it's really unpleasant. I dread jogging because of this.
killmisspiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #2  

I wonder whether it could be a heat rash? Obviously running your body will be warmer. Sometimes I get itchy if I get too hot.
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #3  

Sometimes when I am running I feel really hot, but the skin of my legs feels really cold and gets itchy...is that what you mean? Because (sorry!) I have no idea why it happens, I was just clarifying if it was similar to what happens to me.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi, it could also be a circulation problem, one of my cousins had this problem when walking or even standing for long periods. She took cyan pepper capsules to aid circulation.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

OMIGOSH!!! that happens to me too. It's the most dreadful feeling, makes you want to peel your skin off. However, I have found that this only happens if I haven't jogged in a while. I'll have the itchy scratchies maybe 2 - 3 times and then it doesn't happen anymore. I've also had the itchy scratchies on my stomach back and behind when I've started an exercise program after being dormant for too long.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

"Itchy skin usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it's inside the actual limbs. There are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but when unfit and inactive they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. That's why after a few sessions the sensation tends to go away. Just another indication of increasing fitness levels."

Source: Maximus from the John Stone Fitness Forum on 02/09/04 (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/a...php/t-830.html)

Last edited by Genesis; 03-23-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #7  
Tallgirl

S/C/G: 192/182/176

Height: 6'1''

I actually have this happen to me when i run but in stomach area. It doesn't happen every time but I really don't know why it happens, i think it might be the type of clothing i'm wearing. Yet I'm really not sure and it is very very annoying
tallgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Dang, Genesis! Nice response.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Oh god...I remember that!

And yep, it was just exactly when I hadn't done anything for awhile. All I wanted to do was just pull my skin off and scratch myself raw underneath it's the WORST feeling.

I'd get it on my legs usually behind my knees and on my thighs and on my stomach - i'd have a compulsion to stop and just scratch which made it so much worse lol.

It only ever happened the first 2 or 3 times i'd run and then would stop or if I changed pace it would stop as well.

Like Genesis described above I figured it would have to do with being inactive and my body not being as efficient in circulating blood. I have poor circulation and veins to start with...varicose veins coming up (thanks mum)
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180

wow good reply Genisis, I was thinking maybe it was after she started to sweat that she was allergic to her detergent. detergent + sweat can sometimes make a reaction where there isn't one before. But I like your increased fitness level thing better.
berta gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

I also get it if I haven't worked out in a while. After a few sessions, its gone.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #12  
McPheever! Yey!

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, it makes me want to peel my skin off so I can continue jogging. It's annoying and quite embarrassing.

I've been jogging for a month now and I can still feel the itch. I'm sure it's not my jogging pants. I think I'm just really unfit. Is there anything I can do? Maybe the pepper capsules Puncezilla mentioned will help me.
killmisspiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Are you keeping your legs moisturized? I know when I sweat more my skin dries out faster even if I stay hydrated, and with the winters here being so cold, my skin is even worse. Somedays I just wish I could sit in a bath tub full of lotion and soak!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #14  

Oooh! I'm the same way. I get itchy in my legs and stomach. Especially if it's cold outside. It runs in my family- poor peripheral circulation, according to my aunt.
mandible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #15  

Thumbs up

This happens to me as well ... particularly if I haven't walked/jogged in a long time. It usually goes away after 1-2 weeks of consistent activity.

But I totally know the feeling ... it's **** ... ok ... maybe not '****', but close. You just want to peel your skin off ... my husband thought I was being a drama queen until my best friend stated that it happens to her too and she's thin, just doesn't perform cardio regularly.

The only thing I could do to relive it (kinda) is to wear lose fitting/breathable workout clothes that don't cling to the skin and take a benedryl before working out.
gands is offline   Reply With Quote