Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #31  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Beth, I don't know anything about bike riding in winter, but I run my "sled" dogs in the winter (with a scooter, though, because we don't get enough snow here for sledding, just rain, sleet or hail). At first, I didn't want to go in winter, but really it's not that bad as long as you've got layers on and are moving, and I bet bike riding is similar. With the right gear, you'd probably get warm quick, and just wearing gloves and having an optional ear cover plus warm feet would be the main things, I would think. You could try it, and you might actually enjoy it. Snowmobiles are great for packing down snow, so if you have any that ride in your area, you might check out their trails with the mountain bikes.

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #32  
TRIATHLETE!!!!!

S/C/G: 274/255/130

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Cinderly, where do you ride? I'm in Palmer, but I love to come in and ride on the Coastal trail, though the roller bladers freak me out! Have you ever ridden at Eklutna Lake? I'd love to do that, though I need to get some mileage under my belt first.
Eklutna Lake is a great trail! I've only hiked it, but it's nice and wide. We're hoping to hit it up toward the end of summer, this year.

We love the Coastal Trail! We like to start at Earthquake Park, ride downtown, then turn around and end up back at the car. A nice, easy ride that gets some distance in (and changing scenery!), but it's an all-day affair, since we have to drive to and from the trailhead.

I also want to do Powerline, but haven't worked up to it, yet.

We actually spend most of our biking hours in our neighborhood (Scenic Park) and on the trail along Baxter Bog. At our previous place, we rode Russian Jack (literally 2 blocks from our apartment at the time).

I keep thinking I should get some studded fat tires and just get out there, but then I remember that I'm a total wimp when it comes to cold, so I get back on the stationary and just keep hoping spring will come. And grumbling at the weather forecast when snow advisories show up. (Hey, maybe we'll get another St Paddy's surprise! I'd love a snow day off from work.)
cinderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #33  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh yes, ooastal trail is all day for me! Usually I end up only doing part of it. I've hiked at Eklutna too. We have nice bike trails here, and I can go beyond Wasilla, at least to Meadow Lakes on the trail - when I work up to it. And it's way too cold and snowy to be biking in Alaska!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #34  

I got out on my road bike today. A little less than 7 miles in a little less than 30 minutes. It was a nice ride, a little windy but not to bad, and hot already--almost 90. What happened to spring? Anyway, this was the first time I've been on the road bike (on the road anyway) since November, and my new saddle, stem, and position all checked out at least at this distance. I usually need to ride about 30 miles to really test things out, but I'm going to hold off on that for a couple weekends.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #35  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Okay, where'd everybody go? I think I'm going to try hitting some garage sales for an older road bike. I've been looking at new ones and used good ones, and if I do that, I won't have any money left for shorts or an odometer or anything. I looked at converting the bike I have, but again, it would cost me hundreds just to convert, so then I might as well have gotten a better used or new one. I'm just hoping to find something I can use that has drop handlebars and some kind of road tires, that would just get me through a year at least. I just can't afford to invest in a bike this year, and I really haven't done enough riding to be sure it's worth paying for a "real" road bike, even if I did have it. Just any old ten-speed from the 70s would be better than what I'm riding now, though. That stupid discount MTB is killing my hands and the seat is as uncomfortable as ever. There are plenty of new, cheap MTB or Hybrid style bikes to be had, but I want the drop bars and road tires, so I'd just be in the same position I am now. This is very frustrating. Why does everyone only sell MTBs now? Like all these people are hitting the trails? I'm guessing that's a no. Where's my cheap 18 speed road bike?

Cheryl
Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #36  

DH has been out of town all week, and I've been in the house with the kidlet. Anyway, got out today, did my 25+ miler I've been itching for. A very nice ride, and my bike fit was good, no shoulder issues.

Planning to get about 16 on Thursday, and we'll see what next weekend brings. I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 20 miles on the road, or maybe around 10 on the trail.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I ride! Well, I did...hehe...before it started getting cold. I'm in Connecticut, but from South Carolina...so I'm a wimp when it comes to this weather. I've been itching to get my bike out, but I just can't make myself do it. I'm with you Cheryl, got a cheap mountain bike, but I plan to get a nicer road bike this year. Can't complain...I mentioned in passing that I wanted a bike, hubby shows up a day later with 2 bikes Was good enough to figure out that I love to ride!

I'd worked myself up to a 22 mile ride in NO time last year! I hate that I quit on it so suddenly...I started working nights, got cold...blah blah blah, excuses excuses, huh? I guess I'll have to suck it up soon, bundle up and go! Soon as all the snow is gone, that is...hehe. I can handle falling, but falling into slush? No way!

Enjoy riding...you'll be really surprised how fast you can work yourself up to more distance. Just remember to keep spinning and don't make it too easy on yourself! Enjoy the downhills, but RELISH getting UP the hill!!!!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #38  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Thanks for the update, Anne. Sounds like you're getting in some good rides!

Kim, welcome! Thanks for joining us! I haven't been posting my mileage, because it is so embarrassing to post "2 miles", lol. My bike really is about ready for the junk heap. I rode 2 miles the other night, but with some rolling hills this time, in the rain, and I did NOT wimp out on the hills, though there was some cursing involved on the last, longest one, and I had to stop at the one-mile mark because my pedal was about to fall off. For some reason it comes loose no matter how I tighten it down. Then, I was coming down the hill, and had no brakes to speak of. The rain, combined with my weight/momentum, combined with the crappy caliper brakes, left me doing the flintstone braking method to avoid shooting out the end of the hill onto a 4-laner. Sheesh! I tried to fix the brakes, but the back brake was cranked down by some neanderthal (not me) so it doesn't work at all, and there's just not much power in the first place with the front brake only. I've been sticking with the flat surfaces since then, but I'm proud of the fact that I can at least go 2 miles now without having to walk part of it and I am feeling good when I get back.

I might have found a bike. It's an older ten speed, but might be better than what I have now (a tricycle would be better, lol). I'll let you know later, as I'm going tonight to give it a test ride, and purchase if it's one I can use. I looked at road bikes, but can't really, really afford one right now, not if I want to do anything other than survive the next 3 months, lol.

Cross your fingers, because if this bike works out, I could be posting more than 2 miles at a time soon!

Cheryl
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #39  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

I got the bike!

It's in really, really good shape. It looks almost new, though it's a 1990, but it was really well cared for, no rust at all, oiled up and the tires seem new, and I might not even need a new seat, because it seems to have a nice comfy seat so far. It could probably use new brake pads and getting the wheels trued, but it rides great as it is. SO much more comfortable than the mountain bike, and it seems to be a good fit, I'm just so excited! No worries now about being able to have a bike AND do the other stuff I wanted to do with my money this month. I can buy bike shorts and gloves and goggles, too. It already has a water bottle holder that fits mine, and the shifter works just fine through all the gears. It's not high end or anything, but I'm just happy to have something I can call a "road bike", even if it is just an old ten-speed. I really feel like I'll be able to build up my miles on this bike!

Cheryl
Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #40  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Oooh, good for you Cheryl! How fun.

We went out and hiked the trail by us yesterday to see if we could get our bikes out for the season. Unfortunately we're alternating between freezing and thawing here so the trails are a mess. I suppose if I was tougher and had a mountain bike instead of a hybrid I could do the trails. But I'm a whimp.

I still have memories of a really bad fall I took off road/trail a few summers ago. Literally bit the dust! If I'd not had my helmet on I'd have for sure broken my nose and probably lost teeth. As it was I had a huge mouthful of dirt and weeds and had to walk my bike for about 3 miles because every time I tried to get back on a ride I thought I was going to throw up! My poor DH I was the one hurt but he was so scared for me he was white as a ghost! Always wear a helmet! I have to remind myself of that whenever I think it would be so nice to ride with the wind in my hair, LOL.

I took another fall years ago when riding on a country road. A poor skunk decided to run out of a ditch right when I was riding by at a very high speed. It ran right into my front wheel! That was bad. I went over the handle bars into the ditch. The skunk (yes it did stink to high heaven) I'm sure got very hurt by my spokes but ran off into a field so I didn't see how hurt it was. My bike lost lots of spokes and had a bent rim so I got to walk it back about 6 miles into town with lots of road rash and bruises. Not fun. Plus both my bike and I stunk like skunk!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #41  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Beth,

Those are some good crash stories. Ouch! I have some good scooter crashing stories, because I run our (crazy sled)dogs with a mountain scooter, but no bike stories (yet). I've been thinking about that one, though, as I start to get fitter and going a little faster on the bike. Oh well, as long as I can get up and walk away from it, it will be alright.

Haven't gotten out on my new bike today yet, and probably won't, with how my schedule is looking. That's okay, though, because I want to go shop and get some bike shorts, gloves and things, to make riding a little more "official" and fun. I have enough money left to join the YMCA, too, which I was hoping for this month. I want to be able to do some weight training, swimming, and maybe start a baby running program on the treadmill (see what my ankle thinks of that).

I feel like my biking program has been good at 3 days a week, as far as coming from zero bike riding before, but now I am feeling more comfortable and not feeling like I need that rest day every time, so I'm going to up the biking, maybe 2 days on and one off, then three days on and one off, or maybe I can just start riding 5 or 6 days in a row, I'm not sure.

I don't want to pull/injure something that would force me to stop, and the one thing still bugging me is my right knee, well, a muscle or something above my knee on the inside really hurts when I go to push down on the pedal on that side. I'm wondering if some sort of sports knee brace would help. That knee has been crappy since I was about 16 yrs old, so it's not the biking, just that it's weaker or maybe I'm not riding in a balanced way and it's putting extra strain on it. I'll try to pay more attention to exactly what I'm doing.

Cheryl
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #42  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

4 miles on my new bike today (at least, have measured that with the van, but don't have an odometer for the bike yet). That's my longest one yet, but it felt good!

I am thinking we should start a new thread for reporting our miles. Is that okay with everyone? If nobody answers either way by late this evening, I'll just do it, and hope to see you all there when your weather clears up enough for riding. I just figure this one's a little outdated, then we can be cool like the runners/walkers, lol.

Cheryl
Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #43  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Way to go, Cheryl!

I think a new thread sounds great. I'll hopefully soon be joining you to log my miles. Not too much longer 'til I can get my bike on the trails!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #44  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Default I'm a bike rider

hello,
I'm new here. Well I've been reading posts and wish I could join in everyone here is so supportive of each other and I need that. Had a email
server problem but now I good to go. Been riding for 3 yrs and finally updated my bike from a Huffy to a trek hybred. What a difference!!
It's such a smoother and faster ride. Had a little mishap the other day
and now know how important a helmet is, was lucky. I'm really impressed
on the mileage some of you are doing WOW! I can't seem to break past the 8mile . My town is not very biker friendly and I ride the same road which
is not inspiring . I try to ride every other day , would like to join your
thread to post mileage , keep myself accountable.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #45  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Welcome, Mudbug! Please jump in on the new thread.

See you all on the new thread. I thought of calling it "biker chicks chat", lol, but that's probably a bit over the top.

(Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to another thread, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.) I think I'll just call it "bicycle chat".

Cheryl