Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #16  

My hair cutter probably makes less than 50K a year. If she donates 5% of her gross income, that's $2500 a year. It's not pocket change for a person, but it's not annual operating expenses for an organization, either. Her donations on their own aren't making or breaking anyone or anything or any cause.

Gary Heavin has pledged $5 million. That amount of money is enough to effect real change, to fund X organization or change the outcome of X small local election or operate X clinic. Regardless of whether I believe that his causes are right or wrong, it's accurate to recognize that financial contributions as large as his can make a substantive difference.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Bargoo, I don't think it's really up to you to tell me whether or not I want my money going to Heavin and Curves. I don't and I won't. I also don't spend my money on Coors or Dominos. That's my decision, not yours. If you don't feel strongly about this issue, then by all means go to Curves. I raised the issue because there are plenty of women who, like me, do not want to fund, indirectly or otherwise, Operation Save America.

Back to the main issue: I also belong to the Y. It's not a meat market AT ALL--just ordinary people of different shapes, sizes and ages getting their exercise done.

I belonged to a Bally once which had a special women-only weight room, which was kind of nice, but I can live without it.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #18  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Do you Know , or care where your grocer spends his income, or the shoe shop owner, how about the beauty shop owner, the car dealer?
Actually, some of us do. That's why I shop at small local stores as much as I can afford to, and when I have to do business with a larger corp I do my research first - well, I do now. Didn't until a few years ago. I hadn't had to research Curves yet, cause I don't go anymore, but I'm glad I know this now. I'm definitely going to tell my mom; I don't know what she'll do, but she deserves to know.

Quote:
It is their business just as it is my business to spend my income as I wish.
Absolutely. I'm not saying Heavin can't spend his money on anti-choice organizations (although I'd of course prefer it if he didn't), or that you can't spend your money at Curves (although I'd of course prefer it if you didn't, either). I'm just saying that MY conscience dictates that I don't help him donate to causes I'm deeply committed to fighting. I'm not trying to dictate where YOU spend YOUR money; please don't get defensive and such about where I choose to (not) spend MY money.

Quote:
My gosh, if we worried about where every merchant spent his income we would be ready for the nut house.
Or the world would be a radically different place, one where businesses and their owners were held accountable for their actions, where consumers did their best to make informed decisions based on ALL the factors...

Also back to the main issue...I wish there was a Y here. I checked online and the nearest one's a half an hour or so away. Bleh.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #19  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Just to add my two cents to the different topics floating around.

First, I think it's good to be informed. If someone feels like they don't care about the political leanings or charitable contributions made by some organization that they frequent, that's fine. If someone else does care, that's fine too. There's nothing wrong with some knowledge and information and then, what you do with it is your business.

I, for one, would never belong to Curves for many of the reasons already discussed but that's my choice. If someone asked me why, I would tell them but I wouldn't think less of them for going there anyway.

Second, back to the gym question. I think whoever suggested checking out the gyms that you are considering by getting a guest pass, is the best idea.

Many people are afraid of who might be there or whether they're too overweight and will be stared at or if the gym is a meat market, but you'll never know for sure unless you check it out (and at the times that you think you might go there).

To generalize all gyms as meat markets doesn't seem fair. My gym is in a downtown business neighbourhood and, while not cheap, is absolutely not a meat market environment. There are people of all shapes and sizes and I would hope that most everyone would feel comfortable there.

If you want somewhere a little more relaxed or with a more varied clientele, then the Y or a local community centre may be a great option. Where I live there are a lot of women only facilities that offer much more than Curves does for the same price.

I'm not putting down Curves. It absolutely reaches a market that other more traditional gyms don't and I think that anything that gets people out there and exercising is great.

Just check out a few places if you can and decide what's the best fit for you.

Closed Thread