Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #1  
Move it and lose it!!

S/C/G: 243/238/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Anybody use Nike+iPod??

Anybody use the Nike+iPod to track your workouts??? I just got it for Christmas!!!

I noticed that you can "challenge" others and make teams. Anyone want to join me??
kristanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #2  

How does it work?
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #3  
Move it and lose it!!

Check out nikeplus.com

It's basically a small chip that is placed in the bottom of your shoe (or if you're cheap like me and don't want to spend a ton of $$ on a "special" Nike shoe it can attach to your laces) and a reciever that plugs into you iPod. The chip tracks your speed and distance and then you can log it on the nike+ website!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Kristin, I've been using the Nike+ kit for a couple months now, and I really like it. Initially I just used it to track my runs, which is great in and of itself, but in December, I started participating in some of the challenges and I find it really motivational. Even though the stakes are nothing, there's something about knowing that the people you are competing with are out there running - it gets me out the door when I feel a little lazy. If you want to start a 3FC challenge, I'd definitely participate.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #5  
Move it and lose it!!

Cool!! Hopefully we can get a few more and start a challenge!!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #6  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I had heard about this product and first thought it was silly and that you had to buy a specific Nike shoe (which don't always work well for me). Just the other day I saw a piece on the news about it and how you can use the chip with any shoe so now I'm way more intrigued!!

Is it expensive? Does the music really change based on your speed? Okay, I'll go the Nike site and see if I can get some answers. If I purchase one, I'll be back to join the challenge!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #7  

Hi Elisa, the Nike website won't say this (of course), but you do not need to purchase the Nike shoes to use this. I got a little pouch (www.marware.com) that holds the chip on the top of my laces, and it's worked without any issues. If you are a crafty kind of person, you could probably sew your own version too - but I'm about as clumsy as it comes at that kind of thing, so the marware holder was worth it to me.

Also, the price for the kit is not that much - only $30. You have to have an ipod nano to use it, but if you already do, then the cost of the kit is pretty reasonable.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM   #8  
Move it and lose it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post
I had heard about this product and first thought it was silly and that you had to buy a specific Nike shoe (which don't always work well for me). Just the other day I saw a piece on the news about it and how you can use the chip with any shoe so now I'm way more intrigued!!

Is it expensive? Does the music really change based on your speed? Okay, I'll go the Nike site and see if I can get some answers. If I purchase one, I'll be back to join the challenge!
Elisa-

I didn't buy the "special" Nike shoes either. Just went with the pouch that attaches to the shoe lace.

I don't believe that the music changes with your speed, but I've only used it once so I could be wrong! But you can make or buy "sport mixes"

Hopefully you will join us!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Hi!

I got one of those for Christmas. BF got me the nano, the nike +, the little thingy that makes it so I can use it on any shoe It's not diamonds but it's a close second.

I would LOVE to join a challenge. I was reading about how you can do that online. I actually just got the thing yesterday (they delivered it late), so I haven't set it up yet. Is it difficult?
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Hi Everyone! I would love to join this challange too. I have been using the Nike+ since about July/August and I love it. I did buy the nike shoe along with it I guess I am truly a sucker. HA Acutally I purchased two pairs as I like to rotate my shoes around. I have been kinda lacking in miles lately so this would probably help me get it back so bring it ON....

Hope everyone has a wonderful NEW YEAR!
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 AM   #11  
Move it and lose it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberD View Post
Hi!

I got one of those for Christmas. BF got me the nano, the nike +, the little thingy that makes it so I can use it on any shoe It's not diamonds but it's a close second.

I would LOVE to join a challenge. I was reading about how you can do that online. I actually just got the thing yesterday (they delivered it late), so I haven't set it up yet. Is it difficult?
Not very difficult to set up at all! Basically you just plug the reciever in the iPod and put the chip in your shoe!

Hopefully we can get a few more interested and try to start a challenge on the first!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #12  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Since I had always thought you needed the Nike shoe, I never really looked into it and didn't realize how reasonable the price was...well, it's cheap since I do already own the Nano. I do need a new pair of shoes but want the freedom to buy whatever shoe is best for me.

I'm going to look into it very soon! Here (Canada) it appears to be about $39 which is okay, I guess. And I'm sure I can find the pouch somewhere here, if I just ask around. I like to buy my shoes from The Running Room (not sure if that's a Canadian chain or not) and I'm sure they'll know all about it.

I don't know if I'll be able to get one right away but I will definitely keep you posted.

So, just so I understand - all it really does is track your statistics etc. so it's really just a motivational thing?

And thanks everyone for all the information!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #13  
Move it and lose it!!

Yes, it basically tracks your speed, distance, time ect. Then you upload your data at the nikeplus website where it graphs your progress.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #14  

Also, if you use the online training log at Nikerunning.com and use the same login id for both the Nikeplus and the Nikerunning site, it will automatically populate the log with your run data. That training log allows you to log activities other than running , keep notes on weather, etc.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #15  
Move it and lose it!!

Good to know Rachel!! Thanks!