Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Default xbox kinect dance central or zumba?

I have been looking into getting an xbox just to do dance central and maybe zumba. About 7 years ago i got a PS2 for DDR (dance dance revolution) and i did stay in shape with it. Fast forward to now, and I am looking into getting this..

Can i actually lose weight or tone with these or are they just really play. I am big into exercise being fun, but have lost my belly dancing dvds for the 6th time, and need something awesome to get me hooked on exercise again!

Opinions?
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I'm love Zumba DO IT DO IT!!!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #3  

I LOVE Dance Central - but it should be known that the songs on the list go from easiest to hardest. Poker Face is easy - even the hard setting I can get 5 stars and 100% moves completed. We're working on "Hey Mami" now. Not so easy >.<;

I haven't tried Zumba on the Kinect yet - but Dance Central is really fun. I want Dance Central 2 so that my coworker and I can dance and be recognized together. And have battles. lol

As for losing weight, I think ANY sort of long-term movement will help you lose weight. I know for us, 30 minutes of playing Dance Central and we're in a bit of a sweat; our heart rate is up, and we're pretty warm. It's not as good as say running on the treadmill for 30 minutes, but we're still moving and that's what counts. The game also has the option of setting your height/weight and it will tell you about how many calories you're burning (not EXACT, but it's close). I'm sure Zumba has something similar. I think I might ask for that for Christmas.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Another good Kinect game is "Your Shape: Fitness Evolved." I can't even begin to get into all that this game has on it. Everything from fun little warm up games to intense 30+ minute work outs. The metering is a bit finicky and doesn't always say you're in tune with the trainer, but as long as you think you are and you keep at it - that's all that counts.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I want to get a couple of the fitness games to alternate...haven't bought any yet, but I have to say that most of the kinect games do get your heart pumping as far as I've seen.

I played Fruit Ninja yesterday, and my arms are soooo sore today!
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Funny I just saw this, because I just tried Dance Central 2 last night and LOVED it! I played for at least an hour and a half (and I'd already exercised in the morning so I wasn't feeling more 'exercise'). I hadn't even really been planning on playing, I was just bored and wanted to try out the new stuff we bought.

So I'll admit that I am probably the worst dancer you can find. No rhythm and always missing cues. And so I did get a little frustrated (moreso in the tutorials section) but the whole time I was sweating my arse off and didn't even realize how much time had gone by. My gf even did a few songs with me after insisting that she wouldn't (although we kept jabbing each other because of limited room, which made it even more hilarious). And the pictures it takes are so fun, I crack up every time.

I think you can try it out in best buy or other places you can buy it, and that'd probably be worth it (don't worry, people are ALWAYS using it and not knowing what they're doing, it's made me smile every time I go to a store and see someone using it). I bet you'll like it!

I haven't tried Zumba yet but might ask for it for Christmas. The reviews I've read for the wii version make it sound like it's kind of hard.

Last edited by djs06; 12-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Sooo my new favorite is Just Dance 3... They are the entire song, so be prepared for tired arms if you dont have a lot of use already, but I really like it! Also you need some room in your living room to do this. The last place I was staying had a tiny living room so I couldn't play it there. My new plac it works really well!
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I have Just Dance 2 on the Wii and just got Just Dance 3 and Just Dance: Summer Party.

THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN!! I don't quite break out in a sweat until I've hit around 20 songs though, as I usually do much more at the gym but I've been having fun playing them over Christmas since the gym is closed until Tuesday.

I got my brothers into it now and my mom is happy since they're doing some form of exercise.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

GET ZUMBA!!! It is seriously life changing lol
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I have no rhythm...none,so Dance Central was frustrating...at least to me.I took a Zumba class and while I was awkward,I loved it...so bought it for the xbox as soon as I could.I LOVE IT! Some of the moves are the same from the class,so it was easier to move along to it and pick up other moves.It also has a few bollywood songs..which I love.So,between the two,I'm partial to Zumba
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #10  

Zumba is pretty fun - I have most of the dance games for all the systems and any of them are good since it gets you moving regardless. I'm breaking into a sweat and I don't even feel like I am exercising sometimes!
kayden is offline   Reply With Quote