Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #16  
banned

Awesome, Talina! That event (and guy) sounds neat!
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #17  

Height: 5'2"

Hi -

Was excited to see your post about hula hooping. I just posted about how my 78 y/o re-introduced me to "hooping" on Thanksgiving day when she brought her new "toy" with her. She has a 3 lb. rainbow foam covered wavy one.

After doing some research, I found that a lighter one would be more challenging (hers was very easy for me) and so last night I went out and bought one. My hoop is made by Wham-O, the original Hoola Hoop makers. It is specifically designed for adults to use for exercise. It weighs just over 1.5 lbs. and is large.

Last night I used it for almost 5 minutes straight until I remembered I read you shouldn't over do it at first. This morning....my stomach muscles are actually a little sore!! But oh.....it is so fun!!

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #18  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Oh I've been wanting a hula hoop ever since I read an article with Marisa Tomei who does hula hooping for exercise. You'll have to keep us updated on your progress with it!!!

By the way, your cat is ADORABLE!!!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I just got a 5lb weighted one today and ouch, it hurts my bones! I only tried it for a few minutes but it was really hurting. I didn't know there are weight requirements on these. The box says it's for 160-220 lb person and I'm 130 right now. I wish I had a lighter one.

Last edited by Prism21; 04-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 135 kg / 123 / 72kg

Height: 5'10

My hula hoop (also weighted and large) should be arriving soon! I got mine in their largest size as my height deems it should be as such... heh... I am so excited!! Between my jump rope, my hula hoop, and sidewalk chalk I think I might somehow slip into an oblivion that was my childhood.

My secret reason for getting a hula hoop is the fact that one of my friends is so good at hula hooping that she does tricks while the hoop is lit on fire... I aspire to be that good... oh... and it's good for abs bla bla bla.
FallingAwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

There's a class here in Atlanta that offer hula hoop "dancing" my daughter and I went a few times and it's fun. The larger, weighted hoop is great for those hips and tummy rolls. I hoop with my daughter and her friends and it's funny to hear the kids cheer me on. Get my work out and bonding time in one go.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Do any of you use a workout dvd for the hooping?
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 135 kg / 123 / 72kg

Height: 5'10

My gorgeous hula hoop came in today, it is weighted though I am not sure how much...

I personally don't use a workout DvD for hooping, but I have my sister as basically a personal trainer... She pushes me further than I would like to go with any activity I am doing... Lately it's jump roping.

She has tried to show me how to hula hoop properly but something in my head is just not clicking for the motion.

I am not sure what I should be doing to keep it up, differently. I used to hula hoop for hours as a kid, and though I was much, much thinner then, I am finding it very hard to properly adjust. The longest I can seem to keep the hula hoop us is six seconds...

Does anyone have any advice or anywhere I could possibly visit online?

Or any beginner class stories?

I feel hopeless with my hoop currently.
FallingAwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 221/206/160

Height: 5'5"

I know this is an old thread but I just hot my fitness/cardio hoop a week ago from Academy for $24.99 (Danskin brand) - it has foam padding, weighs 3 lbs, and is 42". I really like it. The dvd that came with it mixes hooping with some standard exercises like squats and crunches, etc. My waist was very sore the first time I did it (which was only for about 10 minutes). I watched a "how to" video on youtube, though, and found out the proper way to do it (my dvd doesn't tell you that - just goes right into the workout). I found that I need to space my legs shoulder width apart and it's more of a rocking front/back motion than a turning of the hips motion. I can do it pretty well now - I just have to stop frequently to get my breath because it really is a cardio workout and an ab workout. I really love it.
sunnyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 221/206/160

Height: 5'5"

Oh and on the stance for doing it, you place one foot in front of the other so your feet are not side by side shoulder width apart, but staggered so that one is forward of the other. You might try that. I also bend my knees a bit.
sunnyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Neat!~ I found this awesome article on squidoo.com about how to make your own weighted hoop, so I'm going to try it! I couldn't find one for less than $25 and couldn't really justify the purchase right now... but I can afford to buy a $5 one from walmart and fill it with rice! I'm excited about it!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #27  

Call your local Walgreen Pharmacy.
Mine sells Hula Hoops, but I didn't ask the price.
If I go there tomorrow, I'll ask how much they are and let you know.
They had various sizes.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the great thread! I typed in "hula hoop" + the name of my city and a video popped up that a woman from where I live had made about hula hooping. She makes and sells hoops and teaches a class through a local community association. What luck! Anyway I contacted her and i now have a hula hoop in my hot little hands. I hooped until my cat hid in the bathroom and I was covered in sweat. It was awesome and I can totally see how something this fun and addictive will be easy to add into my routine every day.
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote