Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #1  

Default Volumetrics?

A scholar at Penn State was on the Today Show this morning, as she prepares to release her new book on dieting through "Volumetrics" She showed how you can bulk up meals making choices like whole grains and get more food for your calories.

I'm as skeptical as the next person when it comes to "NEW" diet techniques, but this woman seemed to make sense. I'm seriously thinking I want to buy her book. Anyone know any more about this?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hello! I didn't see the interview but I have a previous book called Volumetrics. It provided a lot of compelling scientific evidence behind the volumetrics plan. I never quite followed the plan word for word, but I adopted a lot of principles from the book, like bulking up food with vegetables. Definitely not a fad diet!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Volumetrics is not new.

The idea is to eat grapes instead of raisins, ie fill your stomach up with fewer calories, the same way a lot of people use their WW points.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

This was featured in a recent issue of either Time or Newsweek, (Big print on the cover)I flipped through the mag. in my doctors office, but do not remember what issue
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My doctor is following it and he loves it. Lost 8 lbs his first month. I am trying to follow the same system.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #6  
Probably taking a nap

Question

I saw the Today show feature too. Some of those lower calorie/higher volume meals looked great!
For those who own the book... do you feel it is worth purchasing? I'm wondering if there's a good amount of recipes, strategies, and that sort of thing?

I checked on amazon and there's two different copies of this book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
This confuzzles me. Content wise it looks like the same book but... one costs twice as much.

Which one did most of you buy?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

Maybe one is a paperback, the other more expensive one is hard-cover?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Hi,

I bought the book I have about 3 years ago I think (I assume there is a new one or else the Today show wouldn't feature it). I bought a paperback used on Amazon so it wasn't expensive at all. It has a lot of information explaining how the diet works and a lot of compelling scientific evidence showing that bulking up your food healthfully helps you ingest fewer calories. It really is very dense reading. But there are a variety of recipes in the book. Like I wrote earlier, I don't follow the diet closely, but I integrate the recipes into a general healthy diet.

ETA: Oops, just saw the links someone else posted. I have the cheaper, older book. I assume the second is a supplement to the first with additional recipes. (The 90/10 Plan, a book by nutritionist Joy Bauer that I really followed to lost 40 lbs, was followed up with a book with more recipes, etc., to extend the plan from the first book).

Last edited by Amy8888; 03-08-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #9  

Hi Friedspam..the top link is Dr. Rolls NEWEST book..the bottom links to her PREVIOUS book. Both books are wonderful and I would highly recommend getting her newest one. It has really helped me know exactly what to do!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:04 AM   #10  
On My Way!

I have been reading this book--the older one. I got it from the library. It's a good book, but is what I'm already doing. Eating whole grains and enjoying healthy fresh fruit and vegetables. Not much new that I can see for me--but that's okay. I want to try some recipes! I haven't read much, but so far it sounds great as a guideline for someone who wants to lose weight and eat healthily.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #11  

The newer book has some fabulous recipes albeit labor intensive (chopping, peeling etc) The newer book is also less science and an easier read..but one thing I like about the older book is how she spells out very clearly that bottomline its calories.
Anyway her book really synched with me..and I have lost almost 10 pounds since I read it
I made easy switches like popcorn instead of chips and lower fat dips..that type of thing. So its been slow, but I will take it!
I also use CalorieKing and that has been a tremendous help! Makes it easy as it does all the counting for me.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #12  

Far from new - it's the basis of WW Core plan and very sensible.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 PM   #13  

Yes it is based on sensible advise. However, she does point out that water rich foods curb appetite..but water does not and other things.
I love the book. For some reason it clicked with me..though WW did not .
Old 04-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #14  

It shows you more efficient way to use your calories so to speak. Would you rather eat a bite of brownie or 2 canteloupes? It is great for people who have that need to eat a greater amount of food. It will show you nutrient dense food you can eat in larger quantities...which was the trick for my husband. He had no interest in counting calories...he would feel too deprived. But this really hit home with him in terms of looking at how you can make certain choices to really get the biggest bang for your calorie buck. I recommend it.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #15  

I lost about 10 pounds so far. Yes yes yes I knew to eat fruits and veggies...when I really thought about her book I made a few more painless changes like the popcorn INSTEAD of chips type thing.
Book is GREAT!
Closed Thread