Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:48 PM   #31  
Swimming Mouse

I have been browsing this thread...
I also have the so-called "cortislim body", and do have elevated cortisol levels.
I have an endocrinologist who has done loads of bloodwork on me. I think she's a vampire in disguise at times, although the last test was for cortisol and involved a liquid other than blood.
I also have elevated insulin, elevated testosterone, elevated liver enzymes, and digestive hormones that only work 1/3 of the time they're supposed to. I don't have a normal or any mestrual cycle. ALL of my weight is concentrated in my abdomen and hips, to the point where I developed a thing called a "pannus". There is no muscle involved, its ALL fat. And it was caused by the elevated insulin, cortisol and testosterone.
I have bloodwork done every 3-6 months, varying... I've had more blood done in the last 6 months because of the elevated cortisol levels. That is typically a sign of a tumor, so my doctor has been checking to make sure that I don't have one.
I've also had MRIs, CT scans and get an ultrasound every year.
That's the only way to treat an endocrine disorder. Things like Cortislim won't help me lose weight: all the exercise and dieting I've done hasn't helped very much either. My endocrinologist applauds my effort though, and I'll keep doing it because it makes me feel better.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

YES they are supposed to check bloodwork before diagnosing a hormone problem!! I am hypothyroid and they checked my blood before they recommended any form of weight loss plan for me or prescribed meds! I have my levels checked every 6 weeks to regulate my hormones.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #33  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yes it takes a lot of bloodwork to figure out if your body is out of whack hormonally. I have PCOS and it took a while for that to be diagnosed even though I suspect I've had it since puberty, considering that is where my biggest weight gain occurred. I would say that 90% of the population has the bulk of their weight in the abdomen/hips, I know I do. Recently re-reading the South Beach Diet book, Dr Agatston blames simple carbs (increased insulin/insulin resistance/etc) on that, thus the "beer belly" syndrome and although I didn't believe it at first, after doing low carb then south beach diet, most of my weight loss has been from my stomach/hip area. Anyway, it is a good marketing ploy in general to say "if the bulk of most of your excess weight is here then you have a hormonal problem" when 90% of the population has their weight there.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:45 AM   #34  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana
You are also overlooking the basis of weight maintenance - learning to control your (over)eating for the rest of your life. When you are truly ready to change your body, you won't need a pill to do it. I am living proof of that statement.
Jana, I love you! That is exactly it!!! When you are ready to do this, and you are serious about it, you take yourself in hand, with the help of your Higher Power, and you deal with the issues you have with food. You deal with them in a way that doesn't take magic pills, locks on doors, and is something that you can do for the rest of your life. You change your life, for good, and you keep on doing it, even after you reach goal weight. This, at least for me, is about becoming healthy (which includes losing my excess weight), not just about weightloss.

Just had to chime in and express my enthusiasm for how succintly and perfectly you stated this! :
Old 08-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #35  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Davidzee, I do not work for CortiSlim. Jay
Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #36  
GmaTo8

Thank you, Laurie! Reading your response is the best thing that happened to me all day... and I've had a very good day, so that's saying a lot!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM   #37  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jana! You lifted my day up, too!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #38  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default This was too good NOT to crosspost...

Just in case any of you missed Suzanne's response in the ********* thread below...here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Our website is based around weight loss with a healthy diet and exercise, without the use of diet products such as weight-loss supplements. It didn't start out that way. Well it did, sort of, but the purpose was to encourage weight loss in a healthy and cost efficient way, which meant spending your money on enough healthy foods to support your diet, or a treadmill, etc, and not on unproven or gimmicky products.

Over the years, though, we've received thousands of email from people that shared their experiences with these products, and that's when we started to research them. The email we've received have been shocking, scary, sad, and disturbing. This is probably the number one topic of email we receive.

We are upset with the government for basically turning their backs on the public. I know that legally, their hands are tied, and they can't just stop these products from being produced, unless they fit a certain criteria. Uselessness isn't on that list. Proving the claims on their labels also is not required, unless it claims to actually cure a disease, such as cancer. Therefore, they can claim weight loss success all they want, and don't have to prove it. They can sell sugar pills and tell you it will cause weight loss, and it's legal. Even when they do have grounds for taking action, it takes ages due to all the red tape! How many people lose their money in the meantime?

Providing the listed amount of ingredients also isn't required. No one is monitoring them. They can tell you one pill contains xx units of xxxx but it can contain ZERO, or even dangerously high levels! No one ever knows, and they usually are not accurate. Plus, they frequently contain contaminants such as lead.

Something else they do that is a method of tricking the consumer is to make claims that their product is so "revolutionary" that it is patented. Yet if you actually take the time to look up the patent, you'll find otherwise. Yes, a patent exists, but it's patented for doing something else. PLUS, a patent on a weight loss product does not mean that it works, or is safe. Consider the man that patented e-coli as a weight loss method! I've read the patent. He claims that you can take a certain amount of e-coli and crap your weight away. You'll be dehydrated and you'll lose your appetite. He does go further to explain that if you take too much, that it could mutate or have dangerous effects.

Many OTC diet supplements, however, don't bother to warn you of any side effects. Many of these pills, marketed as "all natural", can have serious side effects if you take too much, or if you use them while taking prescription medications, or even if you have health problems such as heart disease or kidney problems. No one is giving you a physical exam before suggesting you take their product.

We've heard from women that became very sick from these products, some of which were hospitalized. They had no recourse, no one to turn to. Why does it take something serious for people to realize that all they need are a healthy diet plan and exercise?

Another thing to consider is that some people have a psychological dependence on them, even when the product has been proven not to work. They still believe they work, so subconsciously, they eat less. This can be argued as a good or bad thing. On the one hand, we want to think that anything that gets a person to eat less is good. On the other hand, what is the true price of this behavior? Money is just part of it. It doesn't help in the long term, as we must be able to naturally control our behavior and eating habits, if we want to be successful in keeping the weight off.

Regarding deecanadiana's comment about taking trimspa while pigging out, I don't see where you get that. True, you can take trimspa and pig out and it won't help you lose weight. But, you can take trimspa while eating healthy and it still won't help you lose weight. It isn't the trimspa that is doing it, it's the healthy eating. If you eat right, you don't need the pills.

Perhaps you are taking something that works as a stimulant and makes you a nervous wreck, and you get that lack of appetite and nausea that comes with stimulants. Of course at the same time, the rest of your body is suffering the effects, such as your heart. This leads me to another false claim - no stimulants. Just because a product does not contain ephedra, doesn't mean it doesn't contain stimulants. The marjority of the labels we've read with that claim DO contain them. Caffeine is a stimulant. Guarana is a stimulant. There are a lot of "natural" ingredients on their lists that are actually stimulants.

Bitter Orange, or Citrus aurantium, is another stimulant and this one appears to be very dangerous. Consumer reports has it on their Dirty Dozen list of most dangerous supplements, but you see it in so many weight loss mixtures, with claims that it's safe and natural. I fully expect this to be the next item banned by the FDA. Of course that kind of action takes forever. In the meantime, they do warn people not to take it. We are working on a very detailed report on this item, which will appear in our diet guide to supplements in the near future. I'll also post it here, in Buyer Beware, when it's done.

The above is just an example of why we take a strong stand against weight loss products. Some might even say our website as a whole is anti-weight loss supplement. I don't dispute that. We know that healthy diet and exercise really works. Why take unnecessary risks with products that have never been proven to be safe or effective? Is it really worth it?

Eat less, move more
Old 03-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #39  
Motivated

S/C/G: 138/120/105

Height: 4' 11"

Angry It's Junk

Yeah, well I took it religously...you know any quick fix. But it didn't work! Surprize....diet and exercise is the key! It's funny that I can be a nursing student and still fall for all these gimicks...
Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #40  
prepare for the BEST time

LOL.....I know a DOCTOR who tried Trimspa.......
Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 AM   #41  

See the rude kinda of smug attitude some take to supplements. One side or the other without ever trying one properly, or more importantly, the one they say is crap. These are the people that believe the Joseph McCarthy's of the world flat out without any proof to back it up. In the end both sides are fighting each other (not the individuals but companies doing the propaganda) for a side that's in it for Profit. Think like a business people. Even Ford has it's tactics.
Not all of them are safe, not all of them are good, and u should be careful what u try. As for both u mentioned u can try them but I am not sure, (see I admit it on truth and logic) I have no real experience with them. If they really didn't work (had I tried them or someone close to me had) I would have said there good or crap, if they were either. Children.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #42  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Thanks, Beachgal!

Tifftazia, thanks for posting your experience, since as a nursing student, IMO, you have a valuable perspective to offer.

Joe McCarthy? So much drama 'n angst here in defense o' diet supplements. Seems like if they were as effective as their manufacturers and their industry spokespersons (on and off the 'net) claimed, there wouldn't be all this sturm 'n drang 'bout it in a simple discussion ... the thing would speak for itself. There'd be a worldwide revolution with folks breaking down the doors o' Walgreen's to loot the diet pill shelf. There'd be petitions in Congress lobbyin' for funds into further Trimspa research. People could stop exercising and worryin' 'bout pesky stuff like fruits 'n vegetables and lean protein sources and everyone across the globe would magically begin a process of weight loss that would quickly transform them into healthy individuals with 20 percent bodyfat.

Let me know when that happens.

(Caveat: The above is just a lighthearted response to this thread on a Sunday morning, reflecting my personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone whether or not they sell diet supplements.)
Closed Thread