Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #31  

Moderation in both areas will give good results, I believe. I think that it is okay to eat high carb foods, as long as you do not create full meals out of them. Carbs are a part of a healthy diet, as long as they are taken in moderation. The same can be said for high calorie foodsand drinks. Every once and a while they are okay, just not all the time.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #32  

I like the point made about whole-grain breads and more organic foods. Refined sugar and flour are not as healthy as the natural stuff "the way God intended it". Unfortunately, natural or organic food is more expensive now that the industry has discovered that society needs everything to taste better and to come in HUGE quantities. I think you can have a lot of success with portion control, but I've also tried to replace white bread with whole-grain bread and refined sugar with Splenda (ok not natural) or that unrefined sugar you can find in packets in a lot of restaurants. Granted, it takes some getting used to, but I think it makes my diet a lot healthier.

Another thing that might help is taking a fiber supplement. Pardon my frankness, but we need this stuff to go through our systems quicker! Keeping our internal organs running smooth helps you feel better all over and makes the digestive process easier. Most Americans don't get enough fiber.

My health teacher in high school used to say "chew your food ten times before swallowing and your stomach will love you forever." I think that's a good rule of thumb to follow. We're harsh on your digestive systems. Eating slow and making sure we use our teeth to properly prepare the food we're eating for our stomachs is a good rule to follow.

These are just a few of my suggestions! I count calories - but I do try to make sure I'm not getting more than 30 grams of fat per day - and I have been trying to increase my protein, but that's to build more muscle.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #33  
:) Happy :)

I agree! Amen! Of course, you will lose weight if you cut out the carbs! This has been known for years. It was designed for overweight patients that needed open heart surgery. Doctors would put these patients on this diet for rapid weight loss before surgery for fear of complications. This is a diet. Not a life style change. The minute you start eating carbs again, your weight will come back on. It is a matter of portion size and exercise. I am so glad that someone actually agrees with me.

Thanks,
Mistie
Old 04-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #34  

Mistie, you are a genius... You are right, it is moderation, exercise, and a way of life. Carbs are okay in moderation, just like anything... You can have a soda or some chips, just don't have them everyday... And make sure you are getting the exercise you need to enjoy those snacks and treats
Old 04-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #35  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I do believe that no matter what diet your on, it all boils down to calories period!

Okay who's the one that mentioned the Cheese Cake Factory.........drooool
Old 04-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #36  
Empress/Queen

Just tagging on to this excellent thread! I seem to agree with every post, especially the discussion about calories.

They do count, IMO! Playing around with the macronutrients has different effects on different people but the mania to ignore calories in favor of counting carb grams seems just as misplaced as when we ignored calories and counted fat grams.

There's no magic bullet in weight loss, IMO!
Closed Thread