3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

S/C/G: 170/166/120

Height: 5'1

Default Keto ranks among the worst?

I just read an article that ranked diets, and Keto diets rank last! I was recently asked to try this diet.. but then this study came out...

"they ranked the diets poorly on long-term weight loss success, ease of use and overall impact on health"

"the experts were especially concerned about extremely high fat content -- about 70% of daily calorie intake -- as well as unusually low carbohydrate levels: only 15 to 20 net carbs a day. The 2015-20 dietary guidelines for Americans suggest that 45% to 65% of daily calories come from carbs but less than 10% from saturated fat."

"The keto diet is just not sustainable over the long term. It doesn't teach you how to acquire healthy eating habits. It's good for a quick fix, but most people I know can hardly give up pasta and bread, let alone beans and fruit."

Thoughts? I was about to try this diet.
tinypixiexoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I've known some people who had great success with keto. Others like me would struggle with it. Just like switching to vegetarianism - ie. giving up meat doesn't mean you switch to mac and cheese all the time. You have to select your foods carefully and pick the wisest choices among that which fits into the plan.

I tend to like things with carbs in them so I would be in constant turmoil thinking about all the things I could not have.

On the other hand a friend went Keto a year ago and absolutely loves it. However she admits she is not a sweets eater (candy, sweetened drinks and baked goods) and doesn't really like fruit all that much. She got used to giving up popcorn, pasta and bread products. I wouldn't say she eats fatty things - cheese would be about the most fatty thing she would incorporate into her meals. Many of the things she makes sound quite good to us so I would not say it's an imbalanced eating plan.

Some people give things a bad rap for fats but there is a difference between healthy natural fats like eggs, avocados, salmon, lard and yes, even bacon to an extent vs the kind of fats in processed foods.

To some fat is not the enemy - sugar / carbs are. Each person's body treats foods differently. Any eating plan basically comes down to portion control, choosing healthy foods from a food list and getting regular exercise.

Why not give it a try for a while and see how you feel? My only advice would be to eat natural foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible - that's where I think you get into trouble. Good luck.

happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote