Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Fast to kick start weightloss?

What do you think about a 2-3 day fast to help restart weightloss and curb sugar/carb binging?
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #2  

I don't think it's worth it. At best you'll drop the water weight and at worst you'll lose some muscle as well. You'll probably lose as much by just cutting some calories or carbs.

My weight loss isn't going great at the moment either so I'm not the best expert. Still, fasting isn't a very good option.
Weightever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

The risk is you will get too hungry, eat it all back and quit.

Why not try skipping a meal a day if you want to try fasting. I gave up dinner two years ago and have never missed it.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/235/185

Height: 5'9"

Fasting tends to make me overeat when it's done. Have you tried changing your meals up or spacing them out to several small meals? I've been avoiding breads and processed carbs, but I still have fruit and complex carbs - I don't miss the bread and processed foods anymore.
LisaGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

Why not try skipping a meal a day if you want to try fasting. I gave up dinner two years ago and have never missed it.
This, pretty much.

I understand wanting a way to "kick start" things, I've been there. I was so desperate. I just wanted to lose a lot really quick so that eventually I could start on my life-long journey. But the reality is you'll be more successful if you start out with a sustainable plan.

Fasting is awesome! I do 5:2, so two days a week I skip breakfast and lunch, and only eat a 500 calorie dinner. There's tons of awesome health benefits to fasting. But fasting for 2-3 days? I dunno. You'd really need a backup plan so you don't binge. Not to mention it should really be done with medical supervision.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #6  

Quote:

Do you eat lunch later then?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
This, pretty much.

I understand wanting a way to "kick start" things, I've been there. I was so desperate. I just wanted to lose a lot really quick so that eventually I could start on my life-long journey. But the reality is you'll be more successful if you start out with a sustainable plan.

Fasting is awesome! I do 5:2, so two days a week I skip breakfast and lunch, and only eat a 500 calorie dinner. There's tons of awesome health benefits to fasting. But fasting for 2-3 days? I dunno. You'd really need a backup plan so you don't binge. Not to mention it should really be done with medical supervision.
5:2 sounds interesting! Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
Do you eat lunch later then?
I eat a large breakfast. Typically at 5am.

And a large lunch. Typically at 12 noon.

But some people find it easier to skip lunch or even breakfast. Or do the 5:2 like mentioned above. My step dad does that.

If fasting is your thing the key is to find the pattern that works for you. It should be very easy once you find the combination that works.

Quite literally I would find myself eating dinner some evenings at my heaviest weight while not feeling hungry. So that was an obvious choice for me. Actually, my ex-wife noticed it. Not me.

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #9  

Quote:
I eat a large breakfast. Typically at 5am.

And a large lunch. Typically at 12 noon.

But some people find it easier to skip lunch or even breakfast. Or do the 5:2 like mentioned above. My step dad does that.

If fasting is your thing the key is to find the pattern that works for you. It should be very easy once you find the combination that works.
I'll have to work on this, some days I can skip breakfast or get by on a cup of coffee and other days I'm starving even if I had three decent meals. I think I'd miss dinner the most, I'm always hungry in the evening!

Last edited by Aileen; 09-16-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

The secret is to use the other meals to tide you over. I eat *a lot* of lean protein which keeps me feeling full and is relatively low in calories. I load up on fish and seafood. But chicken, turkey or eggs or tofu could work well as well. Just my tip there.

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #11  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

I fast during diner time, no food after 4pm & I drink water flavored w cucumbers or fruit, if I see a 2 pound gain on my bath scale.

Several years ago I read a friend's W.Watcher info & the first week it had a very low calorie count with healthy foods to kick start the body into weight loss.

The following week was increased by 200 calories.

Later W.W. made their points system that simulated simply counting calories that is also based with fat included.

miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote