Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193<205>213

Height: 6'1"

Default Bacteroidetes.

hi just joined. interested in the new theory of GI probiotics.

seems Bacteroidetes(?) has been identified as the key "skinny" bacteria the absence of which may cause fatness/fattening.

who has tried it and sustained a long term experiment and lost weight?

if it worked, where did you buy it?
UriRundol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The skinny-bacteria theory is so new that there are no products on the market, nor long-term studies (not even for the mice in the original study). Nor have any human trials been conducted to prove whether the human experience is the same as for rodents.

The actual study results only came out about a month ago.

A VERY important aspect of the mouse experiment was that that giving fattened mice the "skinny bacteria" only slimmed the mice on a healthy diet. On the typical American diet, the "skinny bacteria" had no effect.

Human trials are probably years off, so any "products" that crop up in the next 5-10 years are likely to be bogus.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-02-2013 at 12:38 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Uri! It sounds like Kaplods gave you some good info, and I hope you are not too disappointed to learn it's all still so new. I just wanted to say good to have you!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193<205>213

Height: 6'1"

thank you for the reply. sounds accurate. new. new new. little disappointed. back to the eat 13 days fast 1. keeps it in check but man i am not looking forward to day 14
UriRundol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #5  

Default Where to find Bacteroidetes in food

Hello,

I was glad to find this thread during my search for this enzyme in supplement form. I never found what I was looking for specifically but did real LOADS of research that the same and very exact Bacteroidetes are found in fermented foods! Yes! Three heaping fork fulls of Sauerkraut in the morning before breakfast (must be non-pasteurized) will introduce it into your gut and get the fat reducing benefit moving forward. I am definately going to give it a try! Also, BTW - Kafir has it too :-)
ItGoesCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #6  

Other fermented foods that are awesome to add to your diet:
sauerkraut and kefir - as ItGoesCrunch already mentioned
lassi
yogurt and buttermilk
unpasteurized artisan cheese
natto
fermented ketchup or hot sauce
homemade-pickles
kimchi
miso
kombucha
tempeh

If you're interested in fermented foods, you might enjoy the books 'Jungle Effect' or 'Deep Nutrition' - they both touch on the importance of whole foods, and holistic preparation methods that improve bioavailability.

EDIT: Sorry, realized I didn't actually address the OP's question - a lack of diversity in digestive flora tends to be a correlative factor in obesity, and probiotic/prebiotic supplementation offers the most promising results when considered IN CONJUNCTION with reduction of processed foods and increase in whole foods, as well as moderate physical activity. Digestive flora diversity has been explored due to the potential importance of the effect on bioavailability of nutrients as well as the metabolism of certain compounds into more 'beneficial' forms; there is also the possibility that a healthy diversity in our personal microbiome can help regulate low-level chronic inflammation. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any specific forms of fermentation that include the phylum you've mentioned.

Last edited by Defining; 02-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

A "skinny bacteria?" That just sounds yuk.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defining View Post
Other fermented foods that are awesome to add to your diet:
sauerkraut and kefir - as ItGoesCrunch already mentioned
lassi
yogurt and buttermilk
unpasteurized artisan cheese
natto
fermented ketchup or hot sauce
homemade-pickles
kimchi
miso
kombucha
tempeh

If you're interested in fermented foods, you might enjoy the books 'Jungle Effect' or 'Deep Nutrition' - they both touch on the importance of whole foods, and holistic preparation methods that improve bioavailability.

EDIT: Sorry, realized I didn't actually address the OP's question - a lack of diversity in digestive flora tends to be a correlative factor in obesity, and probiotic/prebiotic supplementation offers the most promising results when considered IN CONJUNCTION with reduction of processed foods and increase in whole foods, as well as moderate physical activity. Digestive flora diversity has been explored due to the potential importance of the effect on bioavailability of nutrients as well as the metabolism of certain compounds into more 'beneficial' forms; there is also the possibility that a healthy diversity in our personal microbiome can help regulate low-level chronic inflammation. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any specific forms of fermentation that include the phylum you've mentioned.
Thanks for all that great information, Defining. I am going to look into the other foods you mentioned because, while I can't say for sure it is due to the sauerkraut, I have steadily lost an average of five pounds a week since eating a half cup a day where prior, I was only loosing one.
ItGoesCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItGoesCrunch View Post
Thanks for all that great information, Defining. I am going to look into the other foods you mentioned because, while I can't say for sure it is due to the sauerkraut, I have steadily lost an average of five pounds a week since eating a half cup a day where prior, I was only loosing one.
Cool beans - just don't go overboard on the ferments. A little is much better than nothing, some is better than a little, but lots can also screw up your digestive system in the other direction. If you start getting the runs, you know you've had too much.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote