Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Default Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil

Just wondering if anyone had advice about either of these. I've been consuming ACV daily for about two weeks now, and I don't know if it's doing anything or not.
I've also consciously tried to incorporate more coconut oil into my diet. I've read good things about it.
Thoughts? Experiences?
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #2  

I'm going to start drinking ACV again. It's really good for flushing your system, if you can handle the acidic feeling when swallowing and stuff. I know a lot of celebrities use it to flush their system by having two spoonfuls a day. I can say with experience, it helps.
healthynewme95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

ACV has helped me a lot with stomach issues. I've just started using coconut oil but have read so many good things about it. It's so easy to work both in to your normal diet, and ACV is so inexpensive (the good kind with "the mother" I've found huge bottles for just a few bucks, lasts for a long time).
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I use both with great results. ACV is amazing if you have allergies. Coconut oil is just plain amazing. I use it whenever I can.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Can you use ACV in food? How much coconut oilper day?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
Can you use ACV in food? How much coconut oilper day?
I'm wondering this as well!
healthynewme95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthynewme95 View Post
I'm wondering this as well!
Sure! I used ACV for salad dressing, and even mix it in juice and drink it. I like the tangyness of it.

Coconut oil is awesome, but highly caloric. It is a fat, afterall . Use as much as your plan allows. I don't see how it could hurt, other than putting you over your caloric limit if you drank it outta the jar!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'1"

I LOVE to use coconut oil when I make eggs! It adds flavor but it isn't sweet at all!
ArmyWife10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Coconut oil is great in lip balm to :-)
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/140

Height: 5'8

I used to do shots of ACV every morning. The only thing I really noticed is heartburn, unfortunately. I think the idea behind it is to get your body more "alkaline." Which when I took the ACV I was on a highly fat based (adkins mainly cheese) diet, so thats probably why it didnt work. I think that the Alkaline diet makes sense in theory. I have a friend that swears by it. I might try ACV again in combo with a more Alkaline diet to see if it works in the future.
era28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

I drink ACV daily and it works for me.. i never had heartburn im sort of young so i suppose thats the reason why
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

May try acv. Why not? Don't think it will hurt anything :3
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've tried the apple cider thing in my teens (when I would try just about anything) and I wasn't impressed with it (it didn't seem to do anything at all for me). I'm not very impressed with the research history and results.

I do use apple cider vinegar in home-made salad dressings and in cooking as a flavor inhancer or flavor balancer, but it's not my only vinegar or even my favorite (my favorite is rice wine vinegar).

I'm more impressed withcoconut oil, not only in my own experience but in the research (not a lot of research yet, so I'm not going hog wild with the coconut oil). Again, it's not my only fat, and I don't even use it daily, but I do incorporate coconut oil and other coconut foods containing coconut oil such as unsweetened coconut, coconut milk and coconut paste (called coconut manna or coconut butter - it's the coconut analogy to peanut butter).

Of all the benefits coconut oil allegedly has, the only I've noticed personally has been satiety and possibly energy level. I definitely do seem to stay full longer on meals that included coconut foods. It also seems to help slightly with energy level.

Supposedly the medium-chain fatty acid is the secret, and I do find that dairy (supposedly the only other medium-chain fatty acid common in the diet) has similar effects, which is why even though most paleo diets ban or severely limit dairy, I do include some dairy (mostly cultured/aged dairy as I'm mildly lactose-intolerant and fresh dairy doesn't agree with me).

I'm very skeptical of "miracle foods," and I don't think there's a single food that is so great that it needs to be eaten every day or to the exclusion of other foods. That being said, I'm always open to trying new foods and both coconut oil and fruit vinegars are pantry staples because they taste good and don't seem to be problem foods (high starch and high sugar foods not only trigger hunger for me, they also trigger some health issue symptoms).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #14  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

When I make my kids toast, instead of using butter, I use coconut oil. I saw a trainer on Dr. Oz say that if you use two teaspoons of coconut oil in warm water and drink that before a meal (I think about 30 minutes prior) that you'll eat a whole bunch less calories, but I haven't tried that yet.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #15  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

I put 2tsp. into one cup of grapefruit juice before meals. Will see if it works.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote