Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #1  
~*JSKA*~

S/C/G: 171/165/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Green Tea: Does it really work?

My sister says yes. Over the course of about 4 weeks, she lost 20 pounds.
I have heard that the pills work also. Although, i prefer to just drink the actual tea than take the pills.
I HATE tea with a passion, but I would be able to stomach it if it would help at all.

Does anyone have any opinions on this subject?
Loseitforgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

There has been studies to say that green tea can help you lose a minimal amount of weight (8 lbs over a year?). I think it is probably from the caffeine and partially because it is filling and helps curb hunger. The tests done were done on tea, not pills.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #3  
it's always something

I find that when I drink green tea (or white or oolong), that it satisfies my craving for something soothing, so I avoid other types of nibbles that contain calories. In this way, I do think it helps with weight control, but I agree that it's not something in the green tea that causes it. If you have excess water, the increased liquid consumption and caffeine can help you drop that as well.

Nelie is right, documented studies have proven that any weight loss directly attributed to the thermogenic qualities of green tea is very minor. Participants drank 4 cups daily to lose 8 pounds in a year. There's no evidence that drinking more would lead to more weight loss, I think it capped off there.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #4  

Hi, i been drinking the green tea also. it helps my cravings. but is the water like you said i think. but been losing little bits but its going down. so i am drinking it. have a good week. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #5  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I'll be honest- I took green tea supplements during my last diet, and they seemed to work well for increasing my energy and keeping away cravings. However, you have to be careful- some of those pills contain other things besides green tea- I didn't realize that, and I bought pills that had some kind of root extract that made me feel so sick. It's safest to just drink the tea, unless you can find a supplement with a minimal number of other ingredients. I drink white tea, which is supposed to have even higher antioxidents. Good stuff.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've started to really enjoy a few cups of green tea each day. I know it has been used to "lose weight", but for me it's more just for drinking it - it totally calms cravings if I'm hungering for junk. It's nice to drink in between my meals if I have nothing healthy on hand to munch on.

I've also heard that it's good for your body overall... something to do with cleaning out toxins from foods.

I used to drink coffee all the time, and now that I drink green tea more often - coffee just isn't the same for me.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #7  

I recently bought a bottle of Rexall Green tea tabs with Hoodia from Walmart. It was really cheap like 6 dollars. It seems to help me not have cravings,plus it was CHEAP. I don't like to spend alot of money when trying new things.
lynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #8  

Cool

tried this one last year but the herbs in the pills got to me and only helped curb my appetite...drinking the tea was easier i only refrained from gaining 5 lbs...the diet was a very low carb diet to go by....so as a carb lover like myself it wasn't easy
citygirl0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #9  
Better,Faster,Stronger

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Im a green tea fan,but I love coffee more-thats my problem.A couple years ago I lost a good bit of weight and I drank about 3 cups of Green tea a day,what I noticed personally was it acted like a mild diuretic and its a great anti oxidant which Im all about.My skin looked good and I never retained much water when I drank it regularly.So....try it,you might like it!
Keldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #10  
Duzzie

Green tea is good for you, but on the morning show they had a specialest come on and bust some of the fake weight loss scams. Green tea was one of them. So i doubt that it helps you lose anything but maybe a few in water weight. But they also said that usually hunger isnt hunger, its thirst. So drinking somthing can make it seem like its curbing your hunger when its actually just being satisfied because you were really just need water in the first place.

GL!

Last edited by Duzziebat; 02-09-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Duzziebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #11  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

I was talking to someone that worked in a GNC store and he told me that studies have shown that green tea does a real number on your heart because it has twice the caffiene of other teas and coffee. Is there any validity to that? I drink it at work every day.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I like tea but I need coffee to get me going in the morning. I'm going to try to start drinking more tea at night (decaf) to help calm cravings, like others suggested. I figure why not have green tea? It has health benefits above and beyond other teas (and beyond weight loss, right)?

But since you said you hate tea, maybe a diet hot chocolate would be good?
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #13  
_________

In moderation it's been shown to help strengthen your artery walls in your heart and blood vessels.

It's not something known for causing wieght loss, but there are other health benefits it contributes to.
Rockrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #14  
Losing it by being active

S/C/G: 230/222/170

Height: 5'8"

Green tea works for weight loss but it is not mainly for weightloss
With green tea you don't add sugar, so it helps your cravings without adding unpleasant calories. When I started a new job 2 years ago I drank tea instead of coffee like everybody else, and lost about 10 pounds. I truly think that green tea has tons of benefits :
yobi new mom 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

I was trying to cut out soda from my diet. I was already drinking diet soda but all the sodium was killing me so I tried different things and finally settled on iced green tea. If your comparing it to other things to drink its a great calorie free drink and it has I THINK half the caffeine. Hold on i am checking....... ok Coffee has almost 110 mg and tea has 25 mg. I still think green tea is better for you than soda or coffee, less caffeine, no calories and no sodium!
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote