Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I follow several blogs which "like" intermittent fasting. The first is specifically for people who want to reverse or avoid heart disease. The second is a physician who eats "paleo". Thought these might help.

I rarely fast, but I have discovered if I "skip" the evening meal (which is a short fast 'til breakfast the next day) I lose way more weight than skipping breakfast and lunch. I'm rather torn by early fasting because I know we are in a "muscle wasting" state after fasting -- ie, our body is using our muscles for food. I am no expert, but I suspect it would be best to low-carb for awhile before fasting so our body is used to using lipids for fuel and maybe it will use fat instead of muscle tissue. Anyway, the following people know a lot more than me.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Fasting

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...als-a-day.html
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #107  

Default lets talk about whats in the book.

The miss information about the ebook is amazing. For all of you posting about "starvation mode" and binge eating .... STOP just STOP .... buy the book, read it and read the studies he talks about. Read what he writes ... a lot of you are commenting about stuff he NEVER SAYS or recommends at all. Did you know that IF (intermittent fasting) allows you to drink water unlike some religious fastings do not. I bet the no water thing will give you the headaches and dizziness. No food .. certainly didn't make me dizzy ... did make me hungry tho ... of course it helps to tech you what real hunger is and how to recognize it. Not just its 6 o'clock lets eat hungry.

I have only completed fast #5 so far, that means i am no expert, but don't knock it until you at least know what your knocking. If you disagree with SOMETHING ACTUALLY in the book then by all means please say exactly what your issue is and lets talk about it. (it would help to say what page and/or what study you are talking about) ....To say stuff like "its not healthy" without even knowing whats in the book is really quite silly and quite disingenuous.

Heck just read the advertisement and see some of the stuff he recommends and stuff he doesn't. That in itself is enough to quell most of the uneducated posting on here.
owenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
I follow several blogs which "like" intermittent fasting. The first is specifically for people who want to reverse or avoid heart disease. The second is a physician who eats "paleo". Thought these might help.

I rarely fast, but I have discovered if I "skip" the evening meal (which is a short fast 'til breakfast the next day) I lose way more weight than skipping breakfast and lunch. I'm rather torn by early fasting because I know we are in a "muscle wasting" state after fasting -- ie, our body is using our muscles for food. I am no expert, but I suspect it would be best to low-carb for awhile before fasting so our body is used to using lipids for fuel and maybe it will use fat instead of muscle tissue. Anyway, the following people know a lot more than me.
EDIT just re-read this and i kinda sound like a jerk but that is not my intent.

Do you really think think our bodies are going to eat muscle first ?... the same muscle that we need to hunt with to get our next meal? If you believe in evolution (which i do not ... but a lot do) this would run counter productive to survival of the fittest. Those with no muscle and a lot of fat would be walking trying to hunt and not getting any food. End of the species right there.

Yes fasting for long periods of time, or even severe caloric deficits for long time, will cause muscle loss but short term fasting with strength training in studies shows NO MUSCLE loss and quite the opposite muscle gain. It is in the book.

I, also just like you, am thinking it might be good to go low carb after the fast just to help it out a bit before putting the sugar back in my body. Anyways if skipping the evening meal is working for you great ... prolly since it usually has the most calories that is the best to skip anyways.

Last edited by owenscott; 03-02-2010 at 07:25 AM.
owenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 300/286/137

Height: 5'3"

Default eat stop eat diet plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Carson View Post
Hi everyone,

I was really glad to find this thread as I was browsing through coz this is the plan that worked for me!

I've been on Eat Stop Eat for about 6 1/2 months now, so I'd be happy to field people's questions about it

Just wanted to say that with regards to the fasting, you are not in danger from starvation mode as this only kicks in after 72hrs without food, and on the plan you go 24hrs without, twice a week. I actually enjoy the fasting now!

Let me know if you have any questions

Sarah x
Hi Sarah...I have been on a detoxing program for the last couple of days when I came across the eatstopeat diet plan. I am so excited to try this because I have been trying the 6 meals a day and everyone is right all you think about is food. I have about 150 lbs to lose. So I am so excited to start this program...Have you reached your goal weight yet? How are you doing? I enjoyed reading your experience on this. I have never sent an email before on 3 chicks sure hope you get this. Corrine
corrinemead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #110  

I have heard of intermittent fasting. I would suggest getting a blood work-up before starting it, because of blood sugar problems. I tend to have low blood sugar (in the low 70s/upper 60s) so I start feeling the effects within a couple of hours of eating and would pass out if I went a full day. A person with normal blood sugar might be able to do it safely, but its best to check that you are definitely one of those people first.
liz688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 167/162/140

Height: 5'8"

I have been following Fast 5 for almost 2 weeks not and overall I like it. I haven't seen much weight change (been losing and regaining the same 2 pounds) but I am noticing that I have more energy and am happier. The author of Fast 5, Dr. Herring, has stated in his book that it takes about 3 weeks of eating the IF way for your body to adjust and for the weight loss to begin. I will admit, some days I make really good choices but others I really overcompensate for not eating all day and make horrible choices (chips and candy over lean proteins and vegetables). I'm hoping that it's part of the adjustment period and the weight loss will begin to become more consistant soon.
thirteenblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #112  

Height: 5'3

Following this thread... Starting Fast-5 tomorrow
Changed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #113  

Height: 6-1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
EDIT just re-read this and i kinda sound like a jerk but that is not my intent.

Do you really think think our bodies are going to eat muscle first ?... the same muscle that we need to hunt with to get our next meal? If you believe in evolution (which i do not ... but a lot do) this would run counter productive to survival of the fittest. Those with no muscle and a lot of fat would be walking trying to hunt and not getting any food. End of the species right there.
I kind of think it would. Case in point: When you break an arm or leg, the bone re-construction is considered "priority." The body opts to save the internal organs before the limbs because survival of the fittest is also about sexual reproduction, and you can do that without arms, legs, or food. Once an adult has past his or her prime in the "natural world" they are sacrificial, a waste product. Your job as an "animal" is to reproduce, and that is about it. If you survive, good for you, then reproduce again. Survival of the fittest is not about life extension. If you have ever read Darwin, it is about mating and producing offspring in usually hostile environments in which physical evolution must take place. There is nothing about Darwin about living to a ripe old age. Nature does not care if we make it past 18 (or whenever sexual prime is). Nature does not understand college, degrees or anything else-- it understands mating and reproducing. 2 or three non-hunting paleo-nerds probably created the most children anyway. You know, showing the girls their air guitar technique, getting them high and then letting nature take its course.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #114  

This thread is really, shockingly slow! I have been doing fast-5 for 6 weeks now and I have to say, even as a lifetime WW'er, I LOVE IT. I've never felt better. I don't feel like I'm dieting but I'm steadily losing weight as long as I am thoughtful about not TOTALLY binging during my window. At the weight I am right now, I'm having to be careful about how many calories I consume during my window since my cal req is so much lower than when I started. I'm reading and thinking about switching to EAT-STOP-EAT for a while till I get to goal to avoid that issue.

For anyone considering it, I'd try it. I don't feel shaky and crappy like I'd imagined and my work outs are longer and stronger. I feel sharper and in control. I can't imagine ever giving this up, even at goal. It's the absolute only "lifestyle diet" that could ever really become a lifestyle for me and I'm so thrilled about finding that.

Weight Watchers helped me lose the first 50 pounds and I'll always appreciate that but I really felt like I was dieting and felt constantly deprived. Fast-5 is free and it works!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #115  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Yay!! Good for you.
I am getting back to Fast 5 after a bad summer of non-discriminatory eating (eating too much junk!!)
Hubby even tried it today for the first time. Maybe he can stick with it (fingers crossed).

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #116  

hi everyone, i am new to this site and i stumbled upon this thread when searching about IF, which i learned about from the No S Diet forums. anyhoo, i wanna give this a shot in combination with no s diet and wathing my portions. i will try to keep everyone posted. glad for all of your success.

Changed- i have been on and off WW for years- its just never seemed to stick. but then neither did anythign else. so happy for you!
PORKCHOP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
This thread is really, shockingly slow! I have been doing fast-5 for 6 weeks now and I have to say, even as a lifetime WW'er, I LOVE IT. I've never felt better. I don't feel like I'm dieting but I'm steadily losing weight as long as I am thoughtful about not TOTALLY binging during my window. At the weight I am right now, I'm having to be careful about how many calories I consume during my window since my cal req is so much lower than when I started. I'm reading and thinking about switching to EAT-STOP-EAT for a while till I get to goal to avoid that issue.

For anyone considering it, I'd try it. I don't feel shaky and crappy like I'd imagined and my work outs are longer and stronger. I feel sharper and in control. I can't imagine ever giving this up, even at goal. It's the absolute only "lifestyle diet" that could ever really become a lifestyle for me and I'm so thrilled about finding that.

Weight Watchers helped me lose the first 50 pounds and I'll always appreciate that but I really felt like I was dieting and felt constantly deprived. Fast-5 is free and it works!
This is awesome! I just read about this WOE today. I do low carb in a healthy way...almost paleo...and I think I could combine it with this. I sent you a PM before I read that you have been doing for 6 weeks? Have you lost weight during that time? From what I understand you won't lose for the first 3 weeks...did you find this to be true for you?

Last edited by Violet73; 11-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #118  

Nope, I lost about 5 pounds the first week. I think it's just really important to be thoughtful about what you eat and how many calories you can cram into that window if you're not careful. He talks a lot about how people starting out tend to binge in the eating window and I didn't want to wait 3 weeks to see results. I've lost 13 pounds (136 to 123) in the last 6-7 weeks doing just this. That's a huge percentage and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Nope, I lost about 5 pounds the first week. I think it's just really important to be thoughtful about what you eat and how many calories you can cram into that window if you're not careful. He talks a lot about how people starting out tend to binge in the eating window and I didn't want to wait 3 weeks to see results. I've lost 13 pounds (136 to 123) in the last 6-7 weeks doing just this. That's a huge percentage and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.
wow that's awesome!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leona View Post
Hello,
I have recently combined IF with a low carb diet and it really helped to break a recent stall. So far, I'm really enjoying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belezura View Post
I have one question: In those days I fast, can I chew sugarfree gun??? the ones I buy say it is less than 5 calories one piece...
Howdy folks!.. I just discovered ESE yesterday & decided today was as good a day as any to start... so, I'm fasting today 'til suppertime, about 6:00, which will be 19.5 hours since my last snack before bed last night... I've been following the Ideal Protein protocol (very low carb) for about 6 months & have lost about 70 lbs., but I seem to have hit a plateau & thought ESE might bust me through that... I tried Fast-5 a few years ago, so I'm familiar with fasting... I was wondering about the sugarfree gum too, I use it on occasion now, so I think it will probably be okay with ESE... guess I'll find out!.. for now, I think Tuesday & Friday will be my fasting days, but I know I can adjust them if needed... for resistance training, I do kettlebells... started out with the 5 lb. a year ago & now I'm using a 25 lb... I like them soooo much better than dumbbells... cardio has been my old NordicTrack ski machine, but I'd like to start running eventually...

Okay, I guess I've rambled on long enough... I'm thrilled to have discovered this thread... I'll be back!..

hugs

P.S. I forgot to mention I also do yoga 5 times a week... great for relaxing & opening up my joints...

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 12-03-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote