Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Default The Reverse Diet

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it? It makes sense to me, and I've heard success stories, but I just want to know if anyone on here has tried it and had success?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had not heard of this, but Googled it.

It has some of the same basic principles as most good and healthy diets:
moderation for beef
vegetables
berries
seafood and poultry
fat free dairy
stay away from salt, sugar, alcohol, caffiene, carbonated sodas

The tips are similar:
eat breakfast (recommend to eat a big breakfast)
eat when you're hungry

For some people, eating late and then going to bed might mean a weight gain, so this diet would be good for them. Basically, if you eat the right foods (stay away from the processed junk) and keep track of your calorie intake and get some exercise, you will lose weight.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #3  
it's always something

We've had some discussions about this diet in the past. It was brought up that the latest research shows that it doesn't matter what time you eat your meals, your body will process the calories the same way. However, people tend to eat more fattening foods at night time, particularly for snacking. If you can train yourself to avoid heavier meals at night, then maybe it will help train you not to snack at night. That's just a theory. Many of our successful dieters do quite the opposite, eating several mini-meals throughout the day, each about the same in size, and find that works best for them.

I think that instead of looking for a diet plan that emphasizes some sort of gimmick, like reversing your meal patterns, that it would be better to choose a diet that focuses on balanced nutrition and your personal health needs.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just last week I started eating my big meal, what was once dinner, for lunch and it has been going very well. I am much more full and it keeps me satisfied much longer then my regular lunch. I don't always have the time to do this, and it doesn't always work out with the rest of my family's scheduele. So the plan is to do it whenever I can. I then have a lite supper.
I have no set rules, per se. That's why I don't like these gimmick or fad diets. This way I make the rules. No matter when I eat I always try to make it a good choice, high in nutrients and stay within a certain # of calories. I also like to change things up a bit from time to time to keep things interesting. The bottom line is if you eat healthy foods and in the right portions and add movement to your life you will lose weight, regardless of when you eat it. Some people prefer bigger breakfasts, some lunch, some like to save their big meal for dinner. You've got to find what works for you.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
We've had some discussions about this diet in the past. It was brought up that the latest research shows that it doesn't matter what time you eat your meals, your body will process the calories the same way. However, people tend to eat more fattening foods at night time, particularly for snacking. If you can train yourself to avoid heavier meals at night, then maybe it will help train you not to snack at night. That's just a theory. Many of our successful dieters do quite the opposite, eating several mini-meals throughout the day, each about the same in size, and find that works best for them.

I think that instead of looking for a diet plan that emphasizes some sort of gimmick, like reversing your meal patterns, that it would be better to choose a diet that focuses on balanced nutrition and your personal health needs.
It's interesting that Greene (Oprah's trainer) actually said, ON THE AIR, that we shouldn't eat after 7 PM. That's a crock! It was at that point that he lost ALL credibility with me.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I read an article in a magazine about the author, and she was quoted as saying there is absolutely nothing new or special about her approach, just that it worked very well for her because she had been eating compulsively at night because she had starved herself all day, and then lost control.

So if eating your biggest meal in the morning helps, that's great, but there's no magic to it.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm actually doing some Reversing now, but mostly as a way to get past a plateau and to break up the diet monotony. I have always been a "starve all day-binge after 5pm" kinda chick and this week, I am finding that I am much less likely to graze later in the day. I agree with the opinions here that it's basically just eating right, getting the exercise in and understanding that there is no "magic" solution!
That Bob Greene-Oprah thing makes me nuts too! I've always wondered what happens on Daylight Savings Time...or if you travel to a new time zone...what time does your body think it is? *tee hee*
Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Yes- I have tried it and I loved it at first! It was really pretty easy. I bought a rotisserie chicken so Ih ad several days worth already cooked. I microwaved several small potatos so I ahd them ready too. I loved eating chicken/potatoes and a veggie for breakfast! I just go ttired of the cereal/OJ for dinner. Perhaps when it is warmed I will try again. It is probably all in my head, but I like warm food for dinner in the winter.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #9  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Over on Dottie's Weight Loss Zone (ww's) there is a group who do this with the Weight Watcher's plan. They have success, but I agree...it doesn't matter if you eat your dinner for breakfast or your breakfast for dinner...if you eat right and exercise....it's gonna come off!

BOB
(from the Sugar Busters board)
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm going to add another vote for "eat whenever works best for you".

I personally have a smaller breakfast, lunch and dinner of roughly the same size/# of calories, and several snacks. It seems to be working really well in terms of keeping me fueled and satisfied.
Closed Thread