Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 10:35 AM   #1  

Question allergies & excuses(??)

Hi guys...
Can anyone help with multi-allergic dieting?
I find it pretty hard to come up with an effective diet as I can't eat any vegetables or fruit (no salad and the green stuff either!), fish or red meat. I'm pretty sick of eating chicken and pasta!!

I've also got a problem with depression which affects my motivation on a regular basis, including exercise - most of the time I have no time to cook, or no extra money to buy different material to cook something different.

Please... if you have any advice or suggestions, i'd really appreciate some help as I'm really running out of ideas!

Thank you thank you thank you!!
Old 09-16-2001, 07:39 PM   #2  

I have to admit I haven't never heard of someone who couldn't eat fruits and veggies. I couldn't live off of pasta and chicken either but my children sure could. Are you actually allergic to those foods? Can you eat dairy products? Surely there is someone else on this board who has your same situation. If so, please post. Suggestions are needed!
Old 09-18-2001, 01:36 PM   #3  

yeah, I really am allergic.. add mushrooms and honey, nuts etc! I CAN eat milk & dairy products but aside from milk with my tea and an occasional cold glass of milk I don't really use dairy.

I've found that cooking or freezing veggies and fruits sometimes enables me to eat them, but cooked veggies are gross...
Old 09-18-2001, 05:49 PM   #4  

Default Wow

I don't like mushrooms and honey or nuts really either. I can't live without eating some veggies though. We just had potato salad and pressured green beans for supper. My children even eat that.

I really don't know what to tell you. It would seem that if you're allergic to everything, You'd be as skinny as a pole. Can you eat sweets and candy and things like that?
Old 09-19-2001, 11:11 AM   #5  

Have you actually been tested for these allergies? It looks to me like you could learn to eat the cooked veggies that don't bother you. You can't be very healthy. Why don't you use dairy if it doesn't bother you? I'd think mac and cheese would be a change from chicken. You can also make some nice cream sauces with cheese by using the low fat kind. What about beans and peas?
Old 09-19-2001, 03:13 PM   #6  

Lakelog, I agree (skinny as a pole) - it seems that whatever i eat shows up on me... my family is all very big too.

Quilter, I've never "had" to eat veggies (spoiled child that I am) so I really can't force them down when they're cooked. I've been tested for some allergies, but they increased since I came to puberty and I regularly treat myself to a fruit, only to get an allergic reaction. I could live on candy; which probably partly explains my weight problem. I don't eat cakes or such though.

I'm not a good cook, and I rarely bother to actually cook dinner for myself, so I tend to stick to quick pasta with chicken in some form, or white bread. I've been anorexic and I used to train excessively, a combination which got me a lovely body, if very unhealthy.... I try not to get there anymore!

Here's the full list of allergies I have (believe it or not!):
- fish (even the SMELL of fish being prepared gets me an asthma attack) and all those underwater creatures
- vegetables; carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, salad...
- fruit; apple, watermelon, strawberries, citrus etc
- nuts and almonds and all that
- beans & peas etc
- honey
- mushrooms

...yes, i think that just about covers it all. I CAN eat potatoes for example, and dairy. I also can eat red meat, but i choose not to. (i know i can't really afford to be picky) It's pretty hard to think up an extensive diet with what's left!

I appreciate any suggestions...
Old 09-19-2001, 05:00 PM   #7  
Seeking God's Gold

Question Food Allergies

Hey Dragon!

I also have very bad allergies to lots of different types of foods. Some foods I am allergy to but some foods I just have an intolerance. And up until April this year I was eating them all and never knew what was going on..........I just knew that I felt bad.

The Allergy Dr tried to kill me (not really) he just threw me into anaphylactic shock by testing me for 60 things at once. Well, turns out I had a reaction to every one of them!!!! I have learned a lot since all this began. For now I can no longer eat onions, yeast, strawberries, grapes and pineapple or it's cousins mango or papaya, and Yellow #5. But the others I have to alternate eating, and not eat every day but maybe every other day. It sounds like to me that one thing you need to do is eat MORE of a variety of foods. I also have trouble finding things to eat but it can be done if you want to. I have intolerances to chicken, pork, beef, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, corn, all beans except green, all peas but green, wheat, barley, rye, coffee, oats, egg whites, molded foods which include vinegar, cheeses, cottage cheese, yogurt, smoked meats, processed lunchmeats, oranges, apples, plums, AND chocolate! So, I really do understand. Going out to eat at a restaurant just don't happen for me anymore. What can I eat? If I order a sandwich, then I can't eat the bread, if I order a prepared entree 99% of the time they are processed WTIH ONIONS. I have ordered them without onions and still get them with them anyway. I have already had to send back numerous plates so I just choose to eat at home.

The thing that helped me with my allergies more than anything was keeping a journal and writing down everything I ate. EVERYTHING! If I popped a bite of popcorn, I wrote it down. And when you get to feeling bad: headaches, stomach aches, itching, nauseated, diarrhea, anything abnormal write it in the journal. After a few times you will be able to tell exactly what is causing you to react this way. BUT, IF your DR has told you NOT to eat something. Then don't!!! Your body may overreact and you could go into anaphylactic shock as I did. I am now on allergy shots twice weekly and I carry a "epie" kit in cause I do go into shock. If your Dr hasn't made it very clear about what to eat and what not to eat either go back to him OR go to someone else. I don't know anything about your Drs but they should be able to help you more. Or you might try going to a dietician that specializes in allergies.

I hope this helps but in my own opinion only I think you need to experience with more foods and keep a journal. I hope this has been a help to you.

~Sherry~
Closed Thread