Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:58 PM   #1  

Question Fibromyalgia and Syndrome X

Hello. My name is Jody and I am 37 years old. I am married but no children unless you count my 5 furry ones (3 dogs & 2 cats). I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1995 and recently diagnosed with Syndrome X a form of insulin resistance related to Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. I am looking for others with these conditions to correspond with about weight loss.

I have been fighting the weight loss battle most of my life and am at my highest weight ever. I am new to this forum and hoping to find support and friendship here.

As those of you with any of these conditions know pcos and insulin resistance make it difficult to lose weight because of the way the body uses insulin. Fibro makes it difficult to exercise because of the pain and fatigue.

I saw a dietitian last week who suggested a diet utilizing the glycemic index. Has anyone heard of or used this before. I would love to hear from anyone with any of these conditions or anyone just looking to give and get support. I need to lose around 100 pounds so this is going to be a long road.

I hope to hear from someone soon. Best of luck to you all with your fitness efforts.

Sincerely,
Jody
243/135
Old 08-08-2001, 03:50 PM   #2  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Syndrome X

Jody: I have Syndrome X (but not PCOS and no ovaries so the two are not always related - in fact, I've never heard that they were really related). There are some really great books out there. One is Syndrome X by an MD and two dieticians. There is one called The Glucose Revolution but reads more like a textbook than the other one. I like the Syndrome X book better and use it as an ongoing reference guide.

Syndrome X: by Challem, Burton and Smith
The Glucose Revolution: by Brand-Miller, Wolever, Colagiuri and Foster-Powell

Also, Prevention Magazine had a really super article on this 2-3 years ago and is a wonderful way to begin your research. You can search the archives of the magazine for that.

I hasten to add that the condition can be reversed by attention to one's diet and adding exercise. I'm doing very well and I'm not even as strict as I should be. I had very high triglycerides and low cholesterol so my MD thought I was a secret alcoholic and kept asking me how much I was drinking in a DAY. Since I don't drink alcoholic beverages that really upset me that he didn't believe me and I have since switched doctors.

Hang in there, read, read, read. Best wishes...
Carleen...
Old 08-09-2001, 08:06 AM   #3  

Default Hello

You might get some good advice on the fibro thread-we are on fibro 29 Mima
Closed Thread