Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 11:10 AM   #1  

Default Lactose Intolerance

I was diagnosed a few month ago with lactose intolerance, after years of suffering from 'stomach problems'. Since cutting off completely product that contain lactose (all type of milk and cheese, butter and everything that contain milk products etc...) I feel much better. However, on my diet I used to treat myself with cheese and with ice cream (I am on WW and was doing really great with managing to have some treat points saved up). However now that I cannot eat cheese or ice cream anymore I feel that I get really frustrated. I have managed to find some lactose free treats (In Europe we have a delicious lactose and gluten free 'ice cream' called Swedish Glace), but I find it more difficult to stick to the program as I am not allowed pizza anymore (I used to go to this restaurant which had very point friendly pizzas. It was great!).

I was doing just so fine on Weigth Watchers but now that I have to watch my diet for other health reasons, it is harder!

Anyone else with Lactose Intolerance???
Old 07-11-2001, 02:04 PM   #2  

Have you tried Lactaid and the lactose free milk sold in health food stores? You can go with soy based cheese replacements, they have no milk and are quite tasty. You can get the soy milk in flavors as well as plain. You could make sugar free pudding with it. You might also look in the natural foods section of your grocery or food store at the vegetarian pizzas...no milk used in these cheeses.

How about the ices for a tread or frozen fruit bars?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:03 AM   #3  

Wink

Thanks for your advice!

I have not tried lactaid yet but I may get it. So far at the moment I am just trying to avoid lactose and to substitute.

I tried soya milk and did not likt it but I have never been a fan of milk anyway so I did not feel like trying to replace it.

I managed to find 'rice slices' which taste like the cheese slices. And Swedish Glace is a very nice alternative.

I gues I just need to get used to it
Old 07-27-2001, 12:12 AM   #4  

Hi. In Canada there are some OTC pills you can purchase that you take before you eat any milk product. Are you taking these? Or do you have a prescription.

Anne
Closed Thread