Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #16  
Goal! Balloon Ride 2006!

Figgykitty and everybody else on this thread: you're right about exercise and it does hurt, but I know that after awhile I get addicted to it. All my doctors have continually told me that exercise is better for arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. if you just keep moving. They did tell me, though, that walking isn't the best exercise at first. I found after being off my leg for ten months due to an injury that I couldn't even walk for five minutes. They told me, as did a physical therapist, that swimming and the exercise bicycle is better and puts less strain on your joints. So if you're really in a lot of pain, check with your doctor. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is not accurate! But do try to take those baby steps at least! When I first exercised, I could only do the bike at the lowest tension for 5 minutes. Now I can do it for 30 minutes twice a day at a medium tension.

Figgykitty, I like your phrase "Eat to live, not live to eat". It seems in this society that being social means going out to eat, so that's our focus.
motherofthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:02 AM   #17  

Just one word of caution ... start S L O W L Y ... with whatever you choose to do. If it's walking, abs, crunches, weights, sit-ups ... anything and everything can and will hurt you when you have Fibro! If you are aware of that and stay aware of how your body is feeling you will be less apt to hurt yourself and more apt to be able to keep on exercising. Most of us are 'gung-ho' at everything we do and it gets us into trouble at the very beginning of any exercise or diet plan we start ... then we fall off the wagon and start the vicious cycle of lose, gain, lose, gain. That's the main reason we are where we are today. So know where you are going before you start your program and then start slowly. You didn't get where you are in a day or week or month and you won't get back to a normal weight (whatever the heck that is!) in a day or week or month, either! So don't injure yourself the first time out! A little more movement today than you did yesterday is going to burn more calories for you than you used yesterday. Even if it's just walking around your house while the commercials are on TV. And if you just cut out one or two slices of bread or a half of a potato more today than you had yesterday ... added to your walks around the house ... you WILL lose weight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. So ... as the tortoise figured out long ago, even if you're slow, as long as you can keep going, you'll always finish the race!

(I didn't see your post there Mother of 3 ... guess it was on the other page.
I totally agree with you ... baby steps! No pain-No gain is not right!)

Last edited by MemeToo; 01-05-2006 at 01:08 AM.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #18  

Walking, swimming ,Tai Chi, stretching are my favorites. The Y has arthritis exercises but you have to be careful. I can't do them because I hurt my ribs 5 years ago and I can't twist. See , that;s what I do-I hurt myself because I get gung-ho. We can't overstretch our muscles with fibro. Hurt my rotator cup and had to have surgery from a Yoga video. (I hurt my ribs from moving and picking up heavy boxes). Still on the mend!!! I am so congested.
Joanne, I will see what my husband wants to do today. I have only beeen to the mailbox in the past 5 days. I will let you know. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #19  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Thanks guys, I am going to start doing something small every day, and see where I get!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #20  

Joanne-I think that would be too much driving for one day-if there was a small country road out of Tampa, I could drive there but Tampa is oh so busy. We can pick another day. It will work out. Oh I wish I wasn;t so congested. it zaps me. mima
Old 01-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #21  

MIL getting second opinion...then will decide on permenat feeding tube or not.

I love execise but it does not like me! Somedays it makes me feel better other days it me makes me worse. I loved my warm water exercise untill I lost my wieght then I got to cold and my muscles cramped. I need to keep moving though I know that...can't just lay around all the time. I hurt myself too Mima!!!!!!! Not sure where we are moving yet or when...to stressful to think about! Sleep is the most important theing for me..no sleep = lots of pain
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #22  

Moving! I am still sick-should call doc-7 days!!!!! I still keep sneezing! Gonna take my temp. Mima
Old 01-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #23  

Default Hey There

Mima- I have to agree. Even the once country roads out of Tampa are terrible now. It is more than an hour drive now from the fair grounds to Tarpon. Hwy.19 is concidered the worse rd. in Florida.I don't drive them.Another day would be better for you.Go to Dr.
Candice..You are moving?I tried the water treatment exercise. They said the water was 85 %. It was so cold my muscles cramped and my toes were curling under. Life is no fun when we have to take care of sick MIL.
Welcome new people- Starting any exercise program should be slow. Walking is my exercise of choise. I started slow and worked up to 3 miles a day. I have been lax lately so need to get my butt in gear.I have beem having some back problems but maybe if I drop that excuse and get at it that will get better too.I am addicted to reading. When I get into a book I tend to lose tract of some of the important things I need to do.But I have lost 74 lbs and have kept it off over 4 years.Everyday is a battle.
Meme- Good advise! Every little bit works. Our Tops meeting was on the same subject last night.
Happy- Getting cool here for this weekend. It will warm up then.At this time of the year it is warm one week and cold the next.Shorts to warm pants weather.
Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #24  

Welcome to all of the new people!! This is a great place for support. Like everyone says, we need to exercise. I used to go to the YMCA and do 5 step aerobics classes a week. Can't believe it now! That was a long time ago. We have just rejoined the Y, and I'm going to be signing up to meet with a fitness instructor to help me with a plan that is for ME, not lots of others. This person will personalize a plan for me with the problems that I have. I'm sure I'll be starting slow, but that's ok.

Candice, so sorry about your MIL. I pray that God will lead you to make the right decisions. Went through similar issues with my father. Hard.

Anne, I agree about the stress causing flareups. Sugar too. I really don't notice it so much with the nutrasweet.

Mima, we could have met at Jekyll!!!

And Joanne is going to St. Simons (I assume that's the one in Georgia, right?). We were there quite a bit while we were in GA. In fact, I went to Christmas Eve services at a church there. It was the worst experience in my life. I went alone. Not one single person said anything to me except for the preacher when I was leaving. He said Merry Christmas. It was so unlike my church. If someone new comes, they are welcomed with open arms. I felt like an intruder that night. On Christmas Day I went to a church on Jekyll Island. I was hardly in the door before people were greating me. One woman was checking to see if I would be with others for Christmas dinner, because she was going to invite me to her house. That made me feel so much better.

Knees are a bit sore from the injections yesterday. I need to get back in the recliner and get them elevated so I guess I should get off of here.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #25  

Tammy, although I've had surgery on both of my knees, I've never had the injections. I had an appointment to have it done once but chickened out at the last minute. I was actually in the Dr. office at appt. time but changed my mind. I've had them in my right ankle many times, though. The Dr. always says now this is going to hurt ... are you feeling it yet ... almost though ... are you ok. What he doesn't understand is that the pain in my ankle is so bad before the needle goes in, the needle is like running water over it comparably. Sometimes I don't even feel it after it pricks the skin. Today, I can barely walk for the pain in the ankle and the other one isn't so hot, I have tendonitis it in ... at least that's what they said the exray read ... I still think it's just plain old arthritis. When they said 'acute tendonitis' I told my husband at least there was something about me that was cute ... even if was my foot. I'm afraid to have the shots put in my knees ... I guess that goes back to when they used to go out of place all the time ... just don't want anyone messing around with them. If someone start to touch them I just naturally stiffen them up. I need both of them replaced but ... I say as long as I can walk ... and I'm still standing! I can't believe I'll be SIXTY next year. Freaks me out!!! Everybody thinks I'm in my 40s. Surely can't keep the wrinkles at bay much longer!

Candice ... why are you moving? And where are you moving to??? Closer to me I hope! Sorry to hear about your MIL. I'm surprised she's willing to get a second opinion.

Anne ... the weather is killing all of us. Warm one day cold the next. It snowed here this morning and is freezing now. I'm running the heat wide open (hubby will kill me when he gets the bill) and still have on a sweater! Wish I had some of your warm Canada air!

Taking a friend to Cheddar's to eat for her BD tonight. I dread getting out it's so cold ... but, she's a good friend and there's several of us going. I'd hate to have a BD on Fri. the 13th. My kids are singing at my church Sun. night ... wish you all could come hear them! I found a cassette tape in my chest-of-drawers when I was cleaning one day a month or so ago. It had our family name and the date 1984 on it. I put it in the tape player and it had my kids and I singing on it. I'm thinking ... ok ... a few songs we recorded 21 years ago. But ... it had TWENTY-THREE songs on it! I was so excited. When my husband came home I played it for him ... it was an hour long. He put the whole thing on a CD. My daughter was only 14 years old. We used to go to singings and revivals and sing all the time when they lived at home. But none of us remember making that tape.

I hope all of you who are sick and UNDER the weather are feeling better, especially you, Mima. Seems you've had your share lately. Ya'll take it easy and don't over-do. The year is young yet!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #26  

I am glad that I found this spot. I don't have anyone to talk to about the Fibo and this is giving me some perspective. My illness isn't as bad as most of yours although it's certainly there.
I will agree with everyone about taking is slowly when you start exercising. I started with a walk around my house. That was it. The next week I did 2 walks around. I built up to 20 laps and then went in to use tapes. It took a long time but I got there. Yes, water and bike are the best to use when you have the pain. It's easier on your joints.
Mel
Figgykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #27  

Default Hey There

Tammy- I am pretty sure it is St Simons in Georgia.. Our daughter made reservations for a weekend in March at a bed and breakfast. We haven't told hubby yet he is going. We can't leave him alone at her house. He will just have to tag along.She says there are some nice trails to walk and historical things to see.He won't/can't do any walking but we will find something for him to do.
I have had multi injections in my knees as well as my back.It does hurt. But the last ones I had in my knee my Dr. froze the area first and I hardly felt it.If my back doesn't get better, I may have to see about it. I turned wrong in bed last night. That really hurt.
Meme- I have had the knees give out. Now my hip feels like it is slipping around. No fun. I guess it has something to do with the back pain .Almost 60? you are still a young one. We are getting cold tonight.
I had good intentsions to start walking again today. I lasted about 1/2 mile and had to go back home. Too much pain. It was really windy and cold. I live 1 mile from Gulf. I think maybe I can walk this back problem away. I will do T/M tomorrow....Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #28  

Meme, if I have to have surgery, maybe you could come and hold my hand. That scares me much more than the shots did. They really didn't hurt since the doctor numbed the area before the shots. I wish we could all hear the tape of your family. I love to sing, but my singing voice is very rusty. I used to be pretty good.

Mel, I'm glad you found this site too. I think I've been visiting this thread for about a year now. I was/and still am a regular on one of the other threads on 3FC.

Joanne, you will love it at St. Simons! Ft. Fredrica is there, Wesley Chapel and a garden area about the Wesleys, Christ Church, just so many awesome places to visit.
While you are there, go to Jekyll Island which is really close. It costs $3.00 to go to JI, but just being there is worth it. It is so peaceful and quiet compared to St. Simons. There is a historic district at Jekyll with many "cottages" that wealthy people used to winter in. These cottages are larger than either one of my houses!! lol We stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel for one night. Wealthy people used to stay there in the winter, and then it closed down in the 30's or 40's. It was completely redone in the 90's and now "normal" people can stay there. It's still expensive, but I found a deal to get a room for 1/2 price so that was my Christmas present to Bob. The rest of the time we were there we stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Dr. Khan froze my knees, then gave me a shot to numb them, then did the infections. I think she knew I didn't like pain! I asked her about injections for my lower back, and she said that she doesn't do them because of the risk of hitting the wrong area.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #29  
Goal! Balloon Ride 2006!

I had injections in one of my knees and on my hip last year before they could figure out what was wrong. The injections didn't hurt at all, but feeling around for the right spot was terrible! I had lunch with an old friend today whose wife has fibromyalgia and he told me that she has to go up to the cooler weather in northern Arizona in the summer because the heat bothers her so much. I would think it would be just the reverse. He also said that the fibromyalgia just keeps progressing - it never gets better. Is that what all of you are finding as well? I don't like the prospect of ending up in a wheelchair :-( Also, she's taking a LOT of oxycontin (70 mg twice daily) which sounds very dangerous and very addictive. I know when I've had kidney transplants they've prescribed 5 mg of oxycodone for pain, and that knocks me out. Is this normal treatment for fibro? Ever since I was on kidney dialysis, I admired people who survived long-term chronic disease. Nobody knows what they go through unless they've lived it themselves. It seems like a lot of you have a lot of faith. I'm not active in our churches here - they're a lot like described above where nobody talks to you - so I stopped going years ago. Do you find relief through your faith?

Also read today that a lot of people have hypoglycemia with their fibromyalgia and that sugar, caffeine, etc. make it worse. I started to research it and found that a supplement(?) called guaifenesin is sometimes taken. Has anybody taken that?

Hope everybody is going great for the new year. I'm off to a slow start, but bound and determined to get back into it. The first couple of weeks of exercise is so difficult for me. Just have to stop procrastinating.
motherofthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #30  

Mother of 3 ... Oxy can kill you and most (sane) Drs do not recommend those type of drugs for fibro. My husband runs a tool shop. The owner's son is addicted to Oxy. He buys it on the street! Here are some facts you might be interested in:

What is OXYCONTIN?
OXYCONTIN is one of several OPIUM derivatives (Heroin is also an opium derivative). It is a high potency pain killer that comes in time released tablets that last for 12h hours. As far as pills on the street go, Oxycontin is a HAND GRENADE amongst firecrackers.

Why is it a problem?
According to media reports the drug was over marketed by the maker Purdue Pharma and the pills are easily available on the street. Kids have figured out that if you chew/crush or snort the tablet that you bypass the time release feature and it will give you a high much like HIGH GRADE heroin but with worse consequences. Most kids are actually not aware of the heroin link and do not realize how DANGEROUS this drug is. 5mg of OXY has has as much active ingredient (oxycodone) as One percocet. So chewing/snorting a 80mgOxy is like taking 16 percocets all at once. Again KIDS just don't realize what they are putting into their system from ONE SMALL little pill.

What are the consequences?
Oxycontin suppresses the respiratory system and when combined with alcohol or other depressants it is often DEADLY. Often the person goes to sleep and their respirations slowly decrease until breathing stops completely.

Can a person LEGALLY prescribed OXYCONTIN become addicted?

Contrary to FALSE CLAIMS THAT LESS THAN 1% of PATIENTS GET ADDICTED, the CT Attorney General has stated the addiction rate is around 13% but some feel it is as high as 30%. All Patients (100%) do get physically dependent, which means they will suffer physical SEVERE FLU LIKE WITHDRAWALS IF THEY SUDDENLY STOP TAKING IT.

How do you kick an OXYCONTIN addiction?
Just like heroin it is almost impossible to do alone as the withdrawal symptoms are worse than heroin and last longer.

How much will cause an overdose?
Everyone's body is different but as little as half a pill when combined with alcohol or other depressants can lower your respiratory system enough to kill you. Taken in high doses OXYCONTIN alone can kill you.

I can't believe that lady's Dr. is giving her such a high dosage of that stuff. Most doctors give their patients muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory type drugs/NSAIDS, steroids and antidepressants ... which most people with fibro don't really need. I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T take antidepressants ... just that I think doctors are too quick to prescribe them a lot of the time. Just like the over prescribing of the Oxycontin. My Dr. prescribes Darvocet for me and I try not to even take that unless I really need it ... but that's for arthritis, not Fibro. I have muscle relaxers and stuff but they make me sleepy. I usually take Aleve and if that dosn't do it I'll take the Darvocet. Of course, nothing ever takes all the pain completely away but the Aleve and Darvocet helps.

Yes, God dependency helps, too. I couldn't make it without my faith! Visit my website if you'd like: http://www.memeart.com If you don't like the church you were attending, try finding another. I'm sure there is one out there somewhere that needs you!

As far as the hypoglycemia ... I'm not diabetic but my blood sugar is always just border-line low. I can eat all day long ... take it with my husband's meter (he is diabetic) and it will never be over 100. Usually in the 90s. Never low enough to be considered 'low' but never really normal, either. I think that's one of the things that makes me feel tired a lot ... that plus the fact that I'm severly anemic. Have been all my life. I'm talking ... I have no blood. I have to have my blood count checked every month to make sure the levels don't fall too low.