Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #46  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Jenilala, I'm Chris. I'm 34 yrs old. I've had RA for 6 yrs now. I didn't get diagnosed with it until 3 yrs ago. I was fortunate to go for a long time without meds...but after my last little girl was born, I hurt. While I was pregnant with her, I never had any pain or flares. I've been on methotrexate for 2 yrs now. I've had some very bad and very rough days and nights. Once for 2 months, I could barely get around. They had to take me off all my meds because one was causing some liver damage. So I couldn't take any new meds until my liver count went back to normal. Currently, I'm getting more pain in my feet again. Darn it! Don't know what they'll do next. I'm on th max dose of methotrexate. Other than the diseased part of me...I've been married for the last 7 yrs to my 2nd husband. We have 3 daughters. Tiana is 12. (the only good thing from the 1st one). Kayla is 6. And Nicole is 3. I work part time for my dad....and on Sept. 7, I'm going back to school for my degree in accounting. I like to sew, read...and play on the computer, of course. Nice to meet you and I'm really looking forward to reading more posts from you.

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #47  

Default Hey There

Welcome Jenilala and hello everybody.. I have had computer problems due to a lightening strike. Had to replace modem and buy new phone.
Angel- I hope things aren't too bad with hubbys job. Sometimes it seems like good people can never get a break.
My vacation was nice just not long enough.Now I want to lose the weight I picked up. I watch what I eat,but things sneak up on me. I am trying to get my routines back with my walking. I walked the first time last week to the beach. It has been too hot and so I have been walking on the T/M .Boring!. Now the arthritis has flared up in my l/ankle and I am not having it so easy walking anywhere. I will just rest it today..Ofcourse I have already done 2 loads of wash.Never a dull moment.
Bye for now...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #48  
Focus on the Process

Joanne,
You sound like a busy lady. I've been trying to get more exercise in. It must have paid off...I lost 2 lbs from last week. Halleluah!!!! The kids go back to school on Wed. That will leave me and Nicole home all day. Maybe I can get more done around here. Her problem is she is just too darn busy for this mom.

I do start school myself on the 7th of Sept. Wish me luck! I took some classes that are easier, but required, so I can ease myself into this without being too overwhelmed. kelly's business is doing good. So that's been keeping him extra busy. The money's nice though.

I must go make some dinner for my little family. SOme are claiming total starvation now.

Talk to you soon,

~chris
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #49  

Default Hey There

Hey Chris-- I try to stay busy. I was a charge nurse in a nursing home the las 15 years I worked. I say first hand what happens to people who don't keep their mind and body active.. My life now is not as stressful though. I do things on my time schedule.
Good for you on the weight loss. Keep up the good work,you will feel so much better with good health.
What are you studying in school? I am so in favor of continuance learning.I am a avid reader. I learn something new everytime I get another book.Both of my children have college degrees and good positions. My G/daughter will graduate from college next spring. Good luck to you in whatever you desire.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #50  

Hi everybody,
Sorry....no time for graphics. I'm making copies of CD's & making the jackets & labels for friends who have a new recording. That makes my computer crawl if I try to do anything else. So.... At least, I'm making a little grocery money. DH is putting in applications. So far....nothing. We've had hard times before, but it still isn't fun. Hopefully, things will be better soon. I enjoy helping with the CD's. I've also been busy with other things, such as trying to get my MIL's pension started (or transferred over) since my FIL passed away. We're wondering if all the work is going to end. Still haven't bought the headstone yet.....haven't gotten to it.

Me, on the other hand, has gotten as big as the side of the house! I've worried & stressed...........so I eat!!!! That's how I always gain my weight. I can't seem to get any will power. I hate how I look & don't want to get in front of the cameras. Not vanity so much.......people love to make remarks about weight gain........... It hurts my feelings, when I know I gained because of depression. There's no one to talk to & I sure don't want to put more on DH. I suppose I'll just pray a lot about it. I know I have all of you, but, like I said, I'm going to be busy. I'll try to check out the posts early in the mornings while cooking breakfast. I do love you all so much.

Welcome to Jenelala.............I'm usually more talkative & love graphics. I'm so glad you're in remission. Hopefully, you won't get too bad with the RA. I have RA, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, & OA. Lots of meds, but active. I volunteer at a local Christian TV station as secretary. Help co-host the evening news, weather, etc., & have my own program on Monday nights "Vision of Heaven". I love to sing. I have a website, if you'd like to check it out. Just click on the link at the bottom of my post. You'll find I like poems & angels! They encourage me. Well....that's enough about myself......oh, only I have 11grands, & recently became a great-grandmother! A wonderful husband of 37 years!

Chrily & Joanne...sounds like you are keeping pretty busy! Hope you're both doing well.

Hope all are feeling well,
Charlotte
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #51  

Good day to all of you.

Jenilala - (hope I spelled your name right) Welcome to our little group. You are so young to be afflicted with RA, however, I guess age has nothing to do with it. I am 59, mother of 2, grandmother of 2. I have had major back problems since I was 29, culminating in surgery at 37. From there, I developed OA in the lower back, and hip and then my friend Fibromyalgia came to play with OA. So, since these two are always with me, I have had to accept them Almost bosom buddies.

Chris - I guess you are getting ready to get everybody back to school and get yourself ready for school as well. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you have an easy semester. It must be hard to do that with little ones, but if it is something you really want, you will succeed.

Joanne - Sorry you are hurting. I know how much you like to walk. I hope that it will pass soon.

Angel - My goodness, what a time you people have had. I sure hope things swing in another direction for you. As for the weight gain, please don't feel bad. It happens. Depression and inactivity from pain, and food are sometimes so very lethal to us all. We live in countries where food is bountiful and we are thankful, but sometimes I think we have waaaaaay to many choices. It makes life interesting, for sure. I am going to post a little thing I came across this morning. Hope it will make you feel better.

Sometimes we wonder,

"What did I do to deserve this",

or "Why did God have to do this to me."

Here is a wonderful explanation!

A daughter is telling her Mother

how everything is going wrong...

she's failing algebra,

her boyfriend broke up with her

and her best friend is moving away.

Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake

and asks her daughter if she would like a snack,

and the daughter says,

"Absolutely Mom, I love your cake."

"Here, have some cooking oil," her Mother offers.

"Yuck" says her daughter.

"How about a couple raw eggs?"

"Gross, Mom!"

"Would you like some flour then?

Or maybe baking soda?"

"Mom, those are all yucky!"

To which the mother replies:

"Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves.

But when they are put together in the right way,

they make a wonderfully delicious cake!

God works the same way.

Many times we wonder why He would let us

go through such bad and difficult times.

But God knows that when He puts these things

all in His order,

they always work for good!

We just have to trust Him and, eventually,

they will all make something wonderful!

God is crazy about you.

He sends you flowers every spring

and a sunrise every morning.

Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen.

He can live anywhere in the universe,

and He chose your heart.

If you like this, send this on to

the people you really care about. I did.

I hope your day is a "piece of cake!"

Life may not be the party we hoped for,

but while we are here we might as well dance!

We are having to move next week - thank goodness it is just across the hall, but still a huge job. They are selling this condo we are in now. We don't want to buy anything right now, as prices are just way too high, and one of these days, they will fall again, and THEN we will buy ourselves another condo. I have been having such bouts of fatigue that I really feel incapacitated by it. I don't have the energy to type even. I do read and I do think of all of you everyday. I need energy from somewhere for the next week. I have a little more today, so maybe ......... I think it is from a combination of FM and the heart meds that I take for Atrial Fibrillation.

I hope you all have a good day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #52  
Focus on the Process

Looks like the majority of us are having a hard time. I had 2 panic attacks last night and methotrexate seems to be having a little "fun" with my intestinal tract...need I say more. That's enough fun for me.

I got the girls back to school today so its primarily me and Nicole. WE'll keep busy. I gotta go. My kids are flocking out around the neighborhood. I have to go reign them in....

~chris
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #53  

THE ROOF IS FINISHED!!!!

I just had to let you girls know that DH finished the roof! He has worked continually the last two days. With the bad weather coming, he wanted to get it finished. I'm so glad that's over with. Also, we've been approved for a loan to finish the house. I don't know yet, how long it's going to take to get the money...but, that helped our feelings a lot. It'll be 3 yrs in November, & we're both pretty worn out & stressed.
DH has work for the next three days. A pretty good job. Thank the Lord for that. He still needs work after that, so help us pray.

I'm so concerned for everyone in the path of Katrina. I hope you all stay safe. We're very worried for our daughter. They won't come stay with us, this time. She is very sick & doesn't feel up to traveling. They're going to ride out the storm in her MIL's basement. She was supposed to go to Gulf Shores Sunday on a business trip. I'm so glad it was cancelled. Of course, she was sick, but with her job......she has to be on her deathbed, almost, to cancel out on her on.

Thanks so much for the poem, Happy Canuk.........it meant a lot! Love you.

Just wanted to check in & tell about the roof. I know with the weather, I may be off awhile. Suppose to get rough here by tomorrow....so, don't know what to expect. At least, we're not in southern Alabama.
Stay safe. Love you all,
Charlotte
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 AM   #54  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Can I join? I am asssuming that I have OA. I broke my foot really bad last year and was told I would probably get arthritis in it (which has happened), plus I have a heel spur in the other foot and have been experiencing hip and finger stiffness and pain. I haven't seen a Dr. yet because I'm not sure what type of doctor to see, LOL. I take Aleve daily for inflammation and also stretch and weight train. Is there anything else I should be doing?
CrazyChubbyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #55  

Default Hey There

Welcome crazychubbybeautiful.. Looks like you have a good start in losing the weight. That will do a lot towards helping the oa. Make sure you see a dr. for a diagnosis. Aleve is promoted to help oa pain. So far I am not seeing any results although I sometimes take it along with other otc's and a scrip for pain.
Angel handclaps for the roof.. I hope you don't get much of the storm. We lucked out this time. I see where 2 more are on the way..It is a usual monday here so I will make this short.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #56  
Focus on the Process

Default Oh Happy Monday!

Hey girls! Wow, Charlotte, Congratulations on getting a roof over your head. I bet you are so ecstatic...you're probably doing a happy dance. Another gal I talk to on 3fc lives in New Orleans. I hope she's okay too.

CCB-(i'm too lazy to type all that right now). Welcome to the thread for aches and pains. These gals are great and loaded with information. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. My opiniion is- go to a rheumatologist and continue with an anti-inflammatory. Aleve hurts my stomach too bad to take. My mom can't take it either. If it works for you...take it.

Joanne-How close are you to Katrina? Hopefully not too close. I'll be sending prayers your way and Charlotte's daughters way. I am so thankful I don't live in hurricane areas. Of course, we have our occasional tornado but thats even rare. WE just get drought conditions constantly.

Hey Anne! How are you too? Haven't heard much from you lately. Hope all is well in your area.

HI Barb!!!!

~chris
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM   #57  

Hi everyone,

Welcome, CCB! I usually use lots of graphics...but, tired tonight. Where do you live in Michigan? I was raised in Detroit, MI. Have always been a country gal, though. I like your picture....you're a pretty lady. Kind of mad at you though.........you were born the year I graduated from high school! I try my best not to look (or act) my age, though.
You need to see your General Practioner & let him/her refer you to a Rheumatologist, if needed. The earlier you get on these things, the better.

Well, the storm is just hitting us! Going to be a bad night. Won't be like LA or the Gulf Shores, but could lose our new roof. Maybe not.

I've got to go. Love you all. Stay safe.
Charlotte
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #58  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much for the welcomes. I was in the same building that my regular doctor is in today. I should have made an appointment while I was there. D'oh!

Charlotte, thank you for the compliment. I've chopped all my hair off since that pic was taken. Everybody else hates it, but I love it. I live in Dearborn and work in Southfield, so I've got Detroit surrounded. Where in Alabama are you? My grandmother lives in Florence.
CrazyChubbyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #59  

Hi gals.

Welcome CCBeautiful. Glad you found us. I don't have RA, but I do have OA and FM. That is ENOUGH pain for me I am 59 and live in Western Canada. Hope you like our little group.

Charlotte - Sure hope you are safe. This must be terrifying. I don't think I could stand to live with those hurricanes. I hope your new roof stays put, as it would be just terrible if it got torn off.

Chris - I am here, just been busy packing. I am moving on Wednesday and I have such a short supply of energy. Been working away, slow but steady. Not much time for the computer.

Hi Joanne. Hope you are feeling better and I do hope that you were untouched by this storm.

Hope you all sleep well and have a great day tomorrow.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 08-30-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #60  

Good morning,
Well, it was a rough night, but we made it. Tornado watches out all night, also. It's still windy & raining, but better. Should be clearing up by noon. It's my day off, so I'm going to stay in until time to do "Tennessee Valley Now". We had a lot of closing to announce yesterday....suppose it'll be openings today.
We've been approved for a construction loan to finish our house. I'm hesitant about getting excited....it's just been so long. Three yrs in Nov. since the fire. I'll feel better when we actually have some money in hand. Maybe this will force the work to go faster. DH will have to hire help & that's good. House will be finished faster, & he won't have to work so much. I've worried about him a lot.

Happy Canuk...I love that hug graphic! Hope you're feeling as well as you can today. I'm surprised I'm not any more fatigued than I am. Just one week until treatment time. My nurse is back.....cancer free! I'm so happy for her & me too! I got stuck 4 times last time & had a bruise the size of a baseball (actually!) on my arm. It's still not totally gone.

CCB...I used to go to a park quite often in Detroit, called Belle Isle. Know it? You could look over into Canada, across the river & see cars & people!
Hey, girl.......I live about 37 miles from Florence! It's a little wide spot in the road called "Belgreen". Between Russellville & Redbay. If you visit your grandmother sometime, let me know. We'll meet somewhere & have lunch! Of course, it'll be a diet lunch. At least that's what we'll tell everyone here.
I do a lot of my shopping in Florence, & that's where my Rheumatologist is. I'll be going there Sept. 7th for a treatment.

Hi Chrily....have you started your schooling yet? I hope you enjoy it.

Hi Joanne...Glad you made it through the hurricane ok. I worry about everyone. My daughter called last night. They don't know of any damage yet, as they were still in her MIL's basement. She's still very sick.

Well, need to go. Everyone take care & have a good day.