Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #1  

Default Gallbladder

Ok, I tried reading all the old posts, but I could not find an answer for my question. I just had my gallbladder removed the other day.... man what an experience. I have been dealing with the pain for 4 years now thinking it was just indigestion. Turns out I had gallstones the size of golf balls!! The doctor said it was the worst one he has ever seen... Now my question is, will it be harder for me to lose weight now that it was removed, or will it be easier??? I know some people can't eat certain things or youwill be camping out in the bathroom all day, but I hope it won;t get harder for me to lose weight more than it already it... I am praying it will get easier... but with my luck probably not... Any ideas??
stitchy626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:28 AM   #2  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

In my experience it didn't effect weight loss either way. It was just a welcome relief of no more stomach and back pain. I had mine out 10 yrs ago now and haven't had any pain like that since. Good luck on your weightloss journey....Sis.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #3  

I had my gallbladder out and I gained weight afterwards only because at last I could eat and I made up for lost time and then some. Any foods I ate triggered an attack then after surgery I felt so wonderful to be pain free I ate everything I could get my hands on. I really went overboard. I am sure you will do fine though and I am so glad you are on the road to recovery. Hugs Kelly
KellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #4  
tired of being fat

Default I agree

I absloutly agree with Kelly. I had mine out about 3 1/2 years ago and after the surgery ate EVERYTHING because I could and it wouldn't cause me any pain. Now that I have started to "diet" I am finding that not having a gallblader is not a problem. Just watch what you are eating and you should be fine. Good luck with your weight loss.

Lori
umma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I had my gallbladder and had no problems losing weight afterwards, I was able to exercise (walking) a few days after the surgery. I didn't make up for lost time with eating in fact quite the opposite, I took the doctors advice and decided to change my eating habits to improve my health.
Good Luck
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I didn't notice a difference in weight loss efforts. Mine stayed about the same.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #7  

Thanks for the replys... I was told that it could make it harder, but at the same time I was hoping that it will be easier, since I already have a hard time losing weight. Was hoping that could be the problem why I have such a hard time... I mean I am only 22. And to have a hard time now, I hate to see what it will be like when I am in my 30's and 40's....

Well it will be a week on Wednesday since I had it out, but I have not been really eating anything. I am kind of affraid to eat anything. So I have been sticking with soup and plain bagels... I also have been drinking nothing but water and I hate water, but I don;t want any problems... I went back to work today and I probably should not have. Sitting at the desk all day seemed to make it hurt pretty bad. I didn't think that just sitting would cause any problems, but it looks like it did.. It is pretty sore
Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 PM   #8  

Cool

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago. I also had other surgeries at the same time so I was out of it longer than normal. I wasn't even interested in food for about a week and ate hardly anything. (a first for me!) Then I started eating very little but enough - oatmeal for breakfast, cupasoup for lunch and healthy choice dinners. I took advantage of the head start i had, and then started exercising. I lost 85 lbs in about 6 mos. (unfortunately I've since put it back on and trying to get back on track.) My advice is to take advantage of the situation and try to lose weight. Losing a gallbladder is no obstacle to weight loss. Good luck.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #9  

Actually this is great! I lost 7 Lbs since the Gallbladder removal...Hopefully I can keep it going!