Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/192/140

Exclamation Zoloft and dieting

I was previously on Zoloft. I had lost 12 pounds without even trying. I did gain it back, but to be completely honest, I don't believe it was the Zoloft. I just didn't watch what I ate. I suffer from panic disorder and my DR. just put me back on the Zoloft. This time though, I have been following the Atkins and have lost 20 lbs in the last month. Even though it didn't make me gain weight in the past, I am so terrified that it will slow down my process or worse...make me gain. Has anyone out there had any positive experiences with Zoloft in regards to their weight loss. I am having a panic attack just thinking about this

Dawn

Previous Weight: 224 lbs.
Current Weight: 205 lbs.
Goal Weight: 130 lbs.
champagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #2  

I don't have any advice for you, but now that you mention it, when I was on Zoloft, I was losing, but as soon as I stopped taking it, I started gaining....... hmmm...... is there a connection??
kerry
kerryclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #3  
cbeehler

Hmmm. I am battleing with the fact that I was on Zoloft... gained 30lbs in 3 years. I am flipping out that I have heard it causes weight loss in the beginning and then gain after that. Argh. All I know is "Here I go"
Good Luck.
cbeehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 AM   #4  

These drugs can cause weight loss or gain, I tend to gain and my sis tends to lose, I think it is an individual thing. I do no ...that these types of drugs tend to make me more anxious (which is what I used to take them for) and then after about six weeks that wears off and I have no energy. So I just gave up on meds and try to control my anxiety myself. Right now my weight is down and I have been following the WW program. I know if I were to start meds again my weight would jump right up! I do not like being medicated but I know sometimes it is not a choice...it's a catch 22 gals!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:08 AM   #5  
Sparkly Like A Holiday

I agree with Candice about it being an individual thing.

In my case - I tend to eat to stuff my emotions down and when I'm bored - when I'm on anti-depressants - my mood is elleviated enough that I don't use food the way I did before and I tend to lose because of that. So in MY case, that kind of counteracts any weight gain properties the drug might have.
zannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #6  
It is what it is...

Hi, I was on Zoloft for about 5 years, during that time I gained about 40 pounds, HOWEVER, I was eating anything and everything I wanted...my doctor said that it can intially cause some weight loss or gain but not to the degree that I had it...plus I wouldnt have cared if it did cause it, it was a Godsend for me at the time...My weight gain was all me, my bad eating habits...take the Zoloft, watch what you eat and exercise and you will be fine...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote