Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Overweight with RA

Hi all:

What a nice site this is ....and all free. No more excuses for me. I have to loose some pounds. For about 10 years now I am dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Along with it came high blood pressure, high cholesterol and recently a little heart murmur. You can imagine that I have been taking plenty of meds to just get through the day. Although, since I had one of my hips replaced and a new medication in form of injections, my live has improved enormously. Up to that time, thinking about weight loss was truly on the bottom of my list. Now that there is light in the end of the tunnel and I have joined the mobile society again, I just want to look my old self again. Well, to be realistic, I will settle to get rid of 20-30 pounds so at least I can try on some of that old clothes I have stashed under my bed.
Having tried the Atkins for a little while, I knew early on that doing without the bread or the pasta is not for me. The South beach Diet next…was the same dilemma, aside of money to be paid on a monthly basis to be part of their program.
Have I mentioned that I acquired a sweet tooth? I suppose to have compensated for shortcomings otherwise and what was missing in my life. So back to basics and the old recommended food pyramid by counting my calories and just watching what I eat. It appeals to me in general and is probably the safest way, taking my health status in consideration.
Exercise. I don’t’ want to talk about it.
To end this lengthy introduction of myself, I just hope to become part of this little community, get encouragement, feedback and the permission to vent about my failures, and shortcomings in my endeavor.

Beetlegoblin
Old 02-17-2004, 03:47 PM   #2  

Hi Beetlegoblin. I have the same RA issues as you. I'm waiting to begin my Enbrel therapy and hope that it will get me off these canes and back to walking and trying to get healthy.
Just wanted to say Hi.

Kim
Old 03-03-2004, 06:43 AM   #3  

Hi Beetlgoblin,
I only came on this forum today and have been reading all the posts. I too have RA and have just stopped taking mtx after 3 years of it I ended up with a grott gastric problem. Anyway I know exactly where you are coming from, what with steroids, celebrex and mtx.....all drugs that either make you eat cos you feel sicky or pump on the weight. I also gave up smoking a year ago and comfort ate big time. Exercise, I can sypathise with you on too but having been in a flare for about 6 weeks the rheumy gave me a steroid jab instead of pills and i feel great. No idea how long for, so I have a low impact dvd by the guy in the states who loves to help us fatties and its for joints etc so I am trying my best. Anyway I will keep checking this forum and having a chat if I see you. I have managed to lose 25lbs in 6 weeks and I am over the moon so theres hope for all if I can do it. Good luck matey with all the support on this site I am sure if we feel better we will get there in the end.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #4  

Have you tried the injectable methotrexate? I switched over two weeks ago and it makes a big difference. I don't have any gastric side effects at all...
Old 03-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #5  

Hi khewes,
I actually asked my GP about injectable mtx and he said they do not inject it in the UK. They give it intravenously for chemo but no injections.
He put me on arcoxia instead of celebrex but that gave me dreadful headaches and terrible dreams...... So now I take celebrex and eat well and eat healthy and I am convinced my new eating regime is really helping my condition.....if its not then its mind over matter and thats fine by me cos I feel good atm.
Closed Thread