Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
NorthernLight be careful and make sure that you are not taking a mixture of ingredients - the only capsules I could find Medscape info on have added kelp (iodine) and white Korean ginseng and I'm not certain they would help and not harm.
You can get raw thyroid compounded by a compounding pharmacy, but there have been cases of mistakes in dosage being made (milligrams instead of micrograms) and hospitalization. But then again, that could happen with any med (and has!).
I'd try going with the L-Tyrosine and Selenium personally before going with raw thyroid, to see if I get the results I want, but that's just me, you do what feels right for you!
Good luck! Keep us up to date on how things go...

Liana
Thank you! I believe I will temporarily put a pin in Raw Thyroid and try L-Tyrosine and Selenium and see what happens. It very well could be unrelated, but I have not felt very well since I started taking the raw thyroid. I don't feel terrible, I just don't feel very good. I could have a bug that's been going around, but I want to see what happens if I stop taking it.
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #17  
EarlyBirdToo

S/C/G: 251/193/160

Height: 5/5

Hi, I'm hypo too. I had thyroid surgery in 2009 to remove most of my thyroid. I gained a lot of weight between 2009 and 2014 when my top weight was 251. I have since lost 52 lbs. and stalled. I lost the 52 lb by going low carb, strict low carb, below 20 carbs a day!!! The problem with stick low carb is, it is not 'supposedly' good for anyone with thyroid issues. Most things that I've read and researched about low carb and thyroid is, it is not a good idea to do strict low carb, and that in order to keep the adrenal working at full capacity ( which is directly related to hypothyroidism, there is a direct correlation between adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism) one must eat a certain amount of carbs. At first, for a few months, I felt great and lost seemingly without trying 52 lbs. on no carbs. Then I hit a brick wall! And, low carb eating was exhausting my already stressed out thyroid (what was left of it after surgery) So,I started adding some carbs, and now, I have been stuck for a year. I have 25 more lb. to lose and I just can't make any headway. I don't feel well on strict low carb. So I pretty much have abandoned a very strict low carb WOE. I've found I need at least 100 carbs a day to keep my hypo under control. Of course, anyone with hypo, knows that all cases are different and most things we try are trial and error. Problem is the only thing that worked for me and for losing weight was staying below 20 carbs a day! Now, I'm struggling terribly to lose the last 25 lb. I am able to maintain. But the last 25 lbs won't budge. I exercise regularly. I stay between 100-150 carbs a day and it just won't go away!!! I power walk at last 2 hours a day 6 times a week. I think that is my saving grace for maintenance. I feel everyone's pain. It isn't an easy feat losing weight, and then add slow to no metabolism on top of that, and it's very difficult. But, I can attest it is not impossible. I'm grateful for the weight I have lost. I have NOT tried paleo, but some of the recipes that I've come to rely on are a mixture of both low carb and paleo.
NorthernLight, As far as raw thyroid. I can swear by it. I cannot take Synthroid.It literally makes me worst. I took it for 8 months and could not get out of bed, very depressed and exhausted, within a week of switching to raw thyroid I began to feel like myself again. Good Luck everyone!

Last edited by Earlybirdtoo; 11-01-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Earlybirdtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #18  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default first my thanks

My thanks for all that eventually come here to post regarding your efforts. I think I've given up on losing weight, which my dr. keeps hammering for me to lose. I've tried no carb/low carb/and the scale does't budge. I walk twice a day/and lift weights (no,it's not muscle weight that keeps the scale from moving) I take synthroid, my hmo's answer to hypothyroidism,and apparently their only med. I went off my dr. recommendation for a yr.and went on the natural pig medication,one yr. and nothing. I think my life of dieting has caught up w/me. The stress of trying,and not succeeding became too much. I still want to lose but want to stop banging my head as well. Not a happy,uplifting post I know,but since others have come back to share I thought I'd should as well. I wish it was with better news,or at least somewhat uplifting. Take care folks.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if anyone is posting here anymore. I'm doing south beach and am hypothyroid. I'm actually doing okay on it, I was worried that it would be impossible. Has anyone discovered if losing weights causes your meds to be off?
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote