Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #1  
Grumpy Cat's my Co-Pilot

S/C/G: 279/239/150

Height: 5'3

Red face Aspergers & Texture Issues

Hiya! I'm an aspie and I have texture issues... which brings my dieting to a screeching hault.

Things I can't eat because of texture:
-Onions
-Tomatoes
-Lettuce
-Any Vegetable Pretty much

Ways to get around these:
-Use Onion & Garlic powder
-Blend spagetti sauce
-Shirataki noodles
-Cook potatoes & carrots till they are super soggy soft

Anyone else have texture issues? How can you get around them when dieting?

Oh, how i wish I liked salad! It seems to be the holy grail for dieting. :/
Caiterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

What about mashed sweet potato, spaghetti squash, mashed cauliflower, or pureed vegetables used in soups or sauces?

Would roasting vegetables make a difference? Do you eat meat? Can you shred or finely chop vegetables into your burgers, meatballs, nuggets, etc?
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 108/105/71 kg

Height: 168cm

try making a variety of vegetable soups and blitzing them in a blender until smooth.
Orange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #4  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default Picky Eater here - I understand!

Hi there Caiterz,

I'm a picky eater, with ADHD. That comes from my mom's side and there are also autism spectrum cousins. I have similar sensory issues but not enough to qualify for full diagnosis. I too, struggle

There has finally been an uptick in recognition of SED (Selective Eating Disorder) and ARFID (Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder) in society and online. Here is a Facebook group I like for adult picky eaters. www.facebook.com A great bunch of folks. There are other FB groups, and online resources as well, and I'd be happy to share more that I know of. I'm even starting my own blog but don't have much material up yet.

It seems to me that on this 3fc forum those of us with sensory difficulties with food tend to be in the minority and people don't always know how to give advice that we can really follow - but I hope that will improve as the knowledge in society improves. In the meantime, I wish you the best, and again, contact me if you want to know more of the discoveries I've made in this area.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Stick blenders are amazing if you can tolerate puree texture. For a long time my daughter would only eat pureed smooth soups. Unfortunately my son doesnt like puree texture. Go figure.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #6  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Correction of incomplete link from my previous post https://www.facebook.com/groups/55498983024/

How's everyone with texture issues getting along? I am staying with a friend and she has one of those stick blenders. I've never used one. It says it won't do ice cubes but does anyone know if they will do frozen fruit such as strawberries? I did like to make smoothies with my regular blender with protein powder. I may need to fetch it out of storage. Advice?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

I don't have Asperger's, but I do have Sensory Processing Disorder/Sensory Integration Dysfunction. So I can relate. Hugs!
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #8  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Hello everyone, I know it's been awhile since this thread was active but I just want to pop in with hugs to let you know I do check here for my fellow picky eaters and people with sensory issues. I have my blog going but due to a busy summer I need to catch up with it. I hope to do some picky eater-losing weight posts soon.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My husband is a very picky eater and it can be annoying when I'm planning meals. After my grandson was diagnosed with ADHD I started reading more about it, and I think DH has Aspbergers, although he has never been diagnosed. The symptoms describe him to a T. I could never tell him that I think that. After all these years, I know he would not want to receive a formal diagnosis. He follows a rigid schedule. Wears certain clothes on certain days. Want to go to certain restaurants the same day of the week. Has few friends and does not socialize. It's not debilitating, just noticeable to me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote