Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 12:56 PM   #16  

You all are just too wonderful. Saying a mere thank you doesn't seem like much, but really, thank you. I appreciate everything...as am sure most of you know here...there aren't too many people if any, we can talk to about our lives dealing with PCOS.

My doctor appointment went actually well. He listened to me and explained the whole hairloss thing, which I already knew about. He told me that he can put me on Aldactone, but would have to put me on birth control also. The chances of me conceiving without fertility drugs is very slim, but he wouldn't want to take the chance. I said no. Yes, my hair loss is very very important to me, and above all else, it worries me the most. BUT birth control is out of the question for me. It works wonders for many people, but not for me. I have finally gotten my cycles almost "normal" again, I am not about to take birth control again. It makes me gain weight, major mood swing, cycle problems, and in my opinion hides all of my wonderful "problems". I don't want to hide them, I want to try to control them. So, the Aldactone is out as well as the birth control.
He put me back on Metformin, at his suggestion and I agreed. He said that it may help with the hairloss but like you all said, it will take some time.
I bought Rogaine for Women but I don't feel too confident in it. It says you have to use it for about 8 months before even noticing hair growth and that once you stop using it, the hair will fall out. Twice a day forever? This isn't the solution. Getting my hormones under control is the solution.
I am doing some more research and plan on going back to my doctor. I really like him alot, but if he is not willing to help me with whatever I find, I will move on. I spent too many years trying to get a doctor to listen to me before I found him. Not doing it again.

I do feel a bit more positive today. Less than 2 weeks till I move into my new home. My husband and I both are estatic.

Thank you all again for all of your kind and understanding words. Have a nice weekend.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:58 PM   #17  

HorseLady...I am really sorry about the rough time that you and your husband are currently having. You seem to be handling all of it well. Maybe only the "strong women" are dealt this hand in life? Hang on...things will get better.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:59 PM   #18  

Horeselady -

I'm sorry that things are in a "down" phase for you right now. I can only hope that things start getting better for you soon.

Jenniffer -

It's good to know that you are feeling better. I understand totally about the BCP -- for me, it's the other way 'round. I've had occasional cyclic depression (3-4 days before my period) since I've been on Met. My girlfriends answer is to go on the pill. I have very nice cycles on the Met, thank you, and don't want to change that.

I think you're on the right track. See how you feel, wait for your hair, and look into this PCOS stuff some more. If you still don't feel comfortable with what your doc offers, switch.

Both of you, take care.

Lynn
Old 04-24-2001, 12:17 AM   #19  

Default Hi All

Totally new to this, it has been interesting to read all of your experiences - especially as I am in New Zealand - so it was good to see that my Dr is on the right track!
I also have PCOS - am presently taking Diane 35 which is an anti-androgen/contriceptive - Dr said it helps prevent thickening of the uterine lining which in turn helps prevent uterine cancer.
Have tried Metformin but had an adverse reaction to it (bad depression/stress type symptoms)- has anybody else experienced this with it?
The best "diet" I have done is Weight Watchers - although high carb I did lose weight consistently which at the end of the day is the goal - sadly gave up smoking so am now starting over!!!!
Old 04-26-2001, 12:00 PM   #20  

I don't have time to write a decent reply, but wanted to give you the link to the part of my website that deals with PCOS. I was diagnosed about 17 years ago!! You can find lots of information about what I've been through, as well as links to other great PCOS sites at:

http://bugsbest.com/pcos

Hope that helps!
Old 04-26-2001, 12:32 PM   #21  

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the encouragement and support. It helped more that I can tell you.

Things are looking up in the job department. I have a phone interview with a company on Friday afternoon. The only negative thing is that I will be on the road (fly out Monday and fly home on Friday.) I was really hoping to find something closer to home, but beggars can't be choosers. I guess I'm just lucky to have a career that allows me to do contract work.

I've also been taking my "time off" to start building some positive habits. I have been walking three miles every day. I feel much better about everything when I exercise. I haven't noticed any weight loss but my clothes are starting to fit better I always have been the type of person that put on so much muscle weight that after a certain point I start losing sizes and gaining weight. Weird, but I guess thats just my chemistry.

Jennifer - I totally agree with you about it being nice to have other people with this problem to talk with. Its very hard to have something like PCOS and not have anyone to talk with that understands what its like to feel the way we do and deal with the things that we deal with. The saying "Don't talk to me until you've walked a mile in my shoes" often comes to mind when well meaning friends make comments.

I hope everything is going well for everyone else.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:36 PM   #22  

Hi! Unfortunately, I also have PCOS. It is common in those of us with fibromyalgia. I am not currently taking any meds for it, although my gynecologist wants to put me on BCP. I am starting a low-carb diet next week. I have heard many good results with this. I am already on so many meds for my fibro and anxiety attacks that I really don't want to take more meds unless absolutely necessary.
Closed Thread