Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #46  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

My mother is going through menopause also and she is kept awake at night too with hot flushes (they also affect her during the day). Hopefully yours will sort itself out soon!

Being in NZ, I find it weird you need health insurance in the USA. Here, we only need it if we want to go private and, though doctor appointments cost $30+, most of the time surgeries are government funded. My advice: move to NZ lol

But seriously, I do hope things start getting easier for you.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #47  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Thanks for the support, Rhiko. I took my shower and the Motrin PM, so I hope to be asleep soon. But if my sleep cycle doesn't straighten out soon, I'll have to move to NZ just to get sorted out!

Yes, our health insurance woes in the U.S. are enough to keep us all awake at night! It's political right now! And I shall leave it at that, before I spark a debate.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #48  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Height: 5'2"

just found this and I thought how fitting. I'm an insomniac, like a legit insomniac. I'll go a week or so with getting 3-4 hours of legitimate sleep a night and not falling asleep until well after 2am. I'm also bipolar and know that attributes to it, my dad has the same problem. nothing works for me to get to sleep, really. I unfortunately sleep the best when I sleep alone and that will pretty much never happen for the rest of my life, so I'm thinking maybe when we get a king sized bed next year I'll be better off. this isn't a result of sleeping with someone else, though. this has been happening since I was in my late teen years. oh well, may as well enjoy it while I don't have any early morning responsibilities.
wheezypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #49  
i lost my head awhile ago

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

Chronic insomniac. I've never been able to get a regular night's sleep, and only get in a lot of hours if I go to sleep after 1 am and don't need to go to work the next day. An actual 8 hr sleep at a decent time is nearly impossible.
Mori M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Why is it somehow weirdly comforting to know that other women are also experiencing lack-of-sleep-issues? And by the appearance of some of your avatars, you are much younger than me -- although as I recall, my own "issues" started in my early 40's, maybe even earlier, which means that roughly for the past 25 years, I have been sleep deprived. Do you think this has ALWAYS been the "norm" for some women? Whenever I hear a friend complain about oversleeping, I just want to slap her, lol.
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #51  
i lost my head awhile ago

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

I think it might be the norm. I'm 30 and have had some sort of sleep problems even when I was little. It got really bad in my teens and some days I'd stay awake for days. Now it's just not getting proper sleep in, maybe about 3 or 4 hours in a night. I have a terrible work schedule and it throws me off a lot so that also factors in.
Mori M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #52  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Talking

Hey, I thought I'd pop on over and say 'hi.' I have actually been sleeping better here in the center of my town where it is noisy, (I just moved) than further out of town where it was so quiet, weird. I wonder if I have been sleeping more soundly because of my fatigue from the move? I also am back on my muscle relaxant every night which is prescribed by my rheumatologist for my Fibromyalgia, that quiets me down and makes me sleepy. I have been known to actually fall asleep in MRI machines when having testing done from the muscle relaxant, it makes me quite drowsy at times so I only take it at night. I still have some weird, vivid dreams which can be so disturbing.

I hope all of us get some more rest!!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #53  
Renaissance Woman

Having a bad night. Feeling pins and needles all over. Only two hours sleep. I feel ANGRY! Wish I could turn off my brain!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #54  
Updating my software ;)

Have you tried learning meditation? My brother used it to routinely go to sleep at 11pm so he could wake up at 5 or 6am. He learnt it from a book, but it was years ago so I don't remember it. (He still sleeps from 11-5/6 )
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #55  
Renaissance Woman

Rhiko, I have an mp3 of guided meditation for sleep that I've used in the past. But right now it seems very, very menopause-resistant.

In good news, I had an especially tough workout yesterday evening, and then, since my car was in the shop overnight, I walked home on top of the workout. I got home around 8 p.m., dealt with some stuff with the kids and the dog and was in bed by 10. And I slept straight through till 6. I'm feeling pretty alert this morning.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #56  
Updating my software ;)

It's good to hear that you slept through the night, but not that your meditation mp3's aren't working. Hang in there
Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #57  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Hugs to all in this thread. I posted a few months back on page 2. Even though I know how tiresome it is to be on the receiving end of unsolicited medical advice, I thought I'd pop back in to share one other little-known item that did actually help me sleep (so, so many things have not).

This is definitely a "talk with your doctor first" item, but some of you may want to research a substance called phenibut. The Soviets came up with it in the '60s and it's been heavily used there since then, so at least there is some data on relative safety - but it still definitely not a mainstream item. ... My doctor got me some to try after a serious bout of non-sleeping (and years of trying many other tactics). For me, it works. A little too well. Very, very small dosages would knock me out - anything approximating a standard dose was far too much (groggy day after). I still keep some on hand for those "in case of emergency, break glass" situations of really bad sleep flare-ups. In my case, really poor sleep can become a self-perpetuating pattern -- the phenibut is a bit like a sledgehammer, but it helps disrupt / prevent severe patterns from taking hold.

Anyway - apologies, because I rather hate posts like this one. In case even one person gets a better night's sleep, though, I'm OK with being "that person" in this thread, haha. (That said - sorry if you found this post obnoxious. Hoping for better sleep for everyone here.)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 307/?/160

Height: 5'7''

I just don't sleep during night hours anymore. I've always been a night owl, but a couple months ago I stayed up all night and it totally screwed up my sleeping pattern. Sometimes I don't go to sleep until 7 in the morning and sleep until late afternoon. I didn't sleep at all last Sunday & Monday. I have the weirdness type of ''insomnia/sleep problems" I have no energy when I get 6 - 8 hours of sleep, but actually feel hyper when I stay up all night.
Athena92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 208/182/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm new and glad to find this thread! I also use CPAP lately I've been having problems with insomnia. I use ambien or melatonin when desperate but worry about side effects. I've changed all my night lights to red and hope they can't be seen from outside. (Don't want to be mistaken for a "house of I'll repute!) I find reading in bed helpful. I turn the brightness down on my iPad and switch to the ivory page color. I'm working on walking a lot during the day. But there are nights when I just can't sleep. This isn't much more than a vent but it's helpful to know that other people with insomnia problems are sharing what works for them.
Bean jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 246/233/135

Height: 5'1

I have much trouble sleeping due to anxiety and stress. I have suffered with it for years but only recently started tackling the problem with a doctors help. I not only have trouble falling asleep at night but can not stay asleep. Sounds wake me up like you would not believe.
However, I can sleep like a rock during the day and have discovered this is mental because I believe my child and myself are safer during the day than at night which is when I go on high alert for something bad to happen.
But I work a full time job during the day so sleeping during the day is not really on option for me except on some weekends when I don't have any other activity planned. So about once a month I sleep all day Saturday and Sunday.
So to combat this issue I take lorazepan for sleeping on average twice a week. This allows me to sleep about 6 hours on the nights I take it. On average I sleep maybe a total of 2 to 3 hours a night and that is a tossing and turning sleep.
I have however found that other sleep aids either prescription or over the counter make me more tired than just tossing and turning on my own so I have stopped taking them to include meletonin which gives me nightmares when I take it.
I have also learned that no matter how bored I am or how awake I feel lights out is lights out and I only get up if I have to use the bathroom.
So that is my sleepless story to add here. Not much insight for others as sleep is something that each of us prepares for differently but thought I would share.
Keywis25 is offline   Reply With Quote