Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Default Insomniacs?

I noticed there was a thread about Bipolar's here....so I KNOW there's some insomniacs around here!

I'd gotten myself into such a great sleep schedule and kept it for the longest time since HIGH SCHOOL! I'm 28yrs old! The last few nights I've gotten out of it, but not because I wanted to! I enjoy going to bed with the hubby and getting up in the mornings feeling fresh and rested. I don't remember ever doing that, even in my school years, I'd feel crappy in the mornings!

Last few nights I've been getting to sleep between 1:30 (last night, not too bad really) and 3:30! Hopefully last night will get me back on track, cause I got hubby to wake me up at 7 this morning, but now I'm seriously considering a nap!

If I take Seroquel or Zyprexa I can sleep well, but it takes me forever to wake up fully, I feel hung over for a few hours and 8 hours of sleep isn't enough! I was taking these things, and I haven't the last few nights, which is why I'm not able to sleep! Last night I was tired, even went to bed around 10, but ended up getting back up!

What do y'all do to sleep, naturally and get between 6 and 8 hours of sleep and feel good? I really thought the diet change and exercise would help me, and I think it did alot at first, but my body seems to be adjusted!

I start losing sleep alot, and I get extremely depressed. Depression could be followed by mania...and I don't even wanna think of that happening! My marriage is just recovering from my last bout of it.

The typical things don't work...warm milk, soft music, all that stuff. I'm thinking herbal supplements. No teas...yuck! Just an herbal pill I can pop that will knock me out! Tylenol PM's work to knock me out, but I'm awake at 3 or 4 am, stay awake till 6, tossing and turning and then have to get up with kids soon after..and I'm not the nicest mommy then!

Thanks for reading this long!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9

I've always had sleeping problems. I used to stay up ALL night, until like 5:30-7:30 am, then maybe sleep for about 3 hours. For the past year or so, I take 25-50 mg of Seroquel before bed. I was put on them for anxiety, but I really hate to take them during the day because one 25mg will knock me out. So, now (I've discussed this with my doctor), I just take them for sleep and to bring me down from really bad manic states. I feel lucky that they don't make me feel horrible the next morning.
Reading helps sometimes. So does playing video games. Something that you can get lost in! LOL
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #3  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Add me to the list! I too have always had trouble sleeping. I go to bed around 1:30 or sometimes as late as 3:30 AM, and then get up around4:30 every morning...no matter what I do! I was put on sleeping aides, but didn't like them...plus they didn't really do much for me...they actually kept me more awake...figure that out! I've tried alot of things that you suggested, and none have worked for me. not much help to you, I know...

Good luck getting some sleep!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9

Oooh...I know what ALWAYS totally and completely relaxes me....a HOT bath! Light some candles, burn some incense, play some soft music and just drift away. Works like a charm!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #5  
Hot Mama

I've started taking lunesta, and it's helping. Also, melatonin has helped me in the past.
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #6  

Marciet, does the Melatonin come OTC? I've heard alot about that and might give it a go if it does! I gotta make an appt with my GP today and I'll talk to her about the sleep thing and ask about the Lunesta.

Siren, I wish the bath would help me...it simply doesn't! I'm naturally a night owl, and anything I do at night, except for taking a pill just gets me going again.
I'm glad the Seroquel doesn't make you feel bad! It seems to work fine for me if I can wake up naturally on my own, but ooooh if someone wakes me up before it's worn off...lol. Maybe I'm just a grouch!

Mickey, I did end up getting some sleep last night and feel refreshed, for now...lol. Let's see how I feel in a few hours! I took my Seroquel early last night so the effects seem to be gone now. Hope you got some sleep!!

I'm thinking with the exercise and not sleeping right I exhausted myself! I spent the whole day dozing on the couch yesterday...first time in over a month I've slept during the day, and definately the longest I've sat on my behind!

Thanks everyone for the advice! Hope y'all are getting some good sleep!

Kim
Old 05-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #7  

hi
i have life long insomnia. even as a child i had trouble sleeping. and none of the usual things work for me. sleeping pills don't work either. sometimes anxiolytic or antipsychotic meds help me sleep. unlike kim even when i do sleep the sleep is not usually refreshing.

i have trouble falling asleep but i also wake frequently during the night. sometimes only every 3 hours other times between 30-90 mins of sleep and i'm awake. i am also a night owl and i was prescribed melatonin to try and change my circadian rhythms but it didn't do the trick. have also tried herbal pills like valerian and they didn't work either. it's an ongoing battle!
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #8  

I'm an insomniac. Lately, I finally fall asleep as the sun comes up. I was taking melatonin for a while, but the dose was too high and I'd wake up feeling groggy. I might try it again (lower dose) if I can't reverse my sleep cycle. When I can't sleep because of anxiety, I take Rescue Remedy.

Melatonin is OTC.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #9  

I'll have to check for melatonin today when I go to Walmart! See if that helps.

I hate to hear of all of y'all not getting sleep too! Seems like if you get up at 6am, you should be able to sleep the next night. While your body thinks so too, for some reason the mind doesn't!

I actually slept really well last night, on my own...but the night before I was awake every hour or so for no reason! Arrrrgh! One of these days maybe we'll find something that works well for us with not silly side effects!

Kim
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/227/155

Height: 5'6"

I too am such a night owl, always have been. My depression certainly doesn't help. For the last few years now (I have 2 year old twins) I have been on this cycle of going to sleep between 2-6am and getting a few hours sleep, getting dd up for school and then napping with the little ones in the afternoon. I work nights sometimes too so my schedule is always messed up and crazy. Never routine.

For me Tylenol Pm, melatonin, hot showers, massage, complete quiet and darkness are key. If I can't sleep I get up and do something, reading usually makes me sleepy. I try not to do anything too stimulating to wake me up.
Irishchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #11  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I've had insomnia for years. I'm on ambien ( 5mg) for months now. I'm so afraid to not take it for fear of not sleeping. I sleep great and wake up great. My doctor told me to slowly wean off, but I have such a nutty schedule if I don't sleep I can't function.
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #12  

I have periodic insomnia, usually when I am stressed... which i am right now.

Last night I couldn't get to sleep til about 3:30 then I woke up at 5. I think I got back to sleep around 10 and slept til 1. When that happens and I'm employed I just have to suck it up and go to work... it's horrid.

I also have ADHD and taking my Ritalin right before bed does help make the brain shut up, I may have to do that tonight.
geekess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #13  

I only have trouble sleeping when I have to wake up early the next day.

I just started a new job and I was supposed to wake up early today. I couldnt' sleep all night and by 5am I had worked myself into quite a panic state. I was so sick, shaking and nausous. I ended up calling into work sick on my 4th day.

I was thinking about trying Ambien or Lunestra on work nights but I'm so afraid of becoming dependent on a drug because I sleep fine IF I don't have to wake up early.

I've heard Ambein can be adicting where you have to take larger and larger doses and I've heard lunestra leaves a horrible taste in your mouth.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

I take prescription Ativan at bedtime. It is addictive and the dose has to be adjusted up when used long-term. I have ran out of it at times and every single time I will be awake all night long. I sleep good with it but always seem to need an afternoon nap too.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote