Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

Default TOM Issues! Confused.

Ok, I am not sure if this is the section I need to be in but here goes.

I take a bc pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). The pill is the best option for me, and I cannot take the "full strength" ones. They throw my hormones way out of wack & make my anxiety horrendous.

Anywhoooo - I have been on this particular pill for about a year. The whole time on it, I could set my watch to my period. Literally got it same day/same spot in my pack, same time every single cycle! Cool.

Well, I was at the beach Saturday (just my luck) & I woke up and had started my TOM. I was thinking, "What the $*%^?!". It was literally almost a week and a half early!!! So not only was I pissed to be at the beach, having my TOM, had only brought a WHITE bikini (of course, right?! lol), but now I am concerned.

I take my pill every day. I am NOT forgetful, ever, when it comes to that. I take it at virtually the same time every day (within a 2 hour window, max - and that's only if I am very busy at work).

So I am wondering, what could have caused this? It wasn't just spotting. It was full blown Only things that have really changed are my diet & acitivity level. I don't think I am particularly stressed about anything? Idk.

Has anyone ever had this happen?
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Dieting can make hormones go haywire, and I see no reason why being on the pill should make that less likely to happen.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My guess would also be diet & exercise, because that's what has changed, but it could (in theory) be something more serious. I don't think one isolated event is something you should be concerned with unless there are other unusual issues associated with it (there's more or different pain or bleeding than a typical TOM for you, or if it lasts longer).

However, if you continue to see pattern changes, then you probably should see your doctor, just to rule out anything serious.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

I agree. Changes in your eating and exercise patterns can affect your hormones even when on the pill. I have been taking a different pill for many years. Always very regular just like you. The last couple of cycles I have started TOM early - and full blown, not just spotting. My OB/GYN says this can happen with any version of the pill at any time. Our body sometimes just has a mind of its own. He gave me an estrogen pill that I could take to stop it if it happened again. But luckily I have not had any issues since seeing him. So hopefully yours will correct itself as well - especially since you are hormone senstive. Hope that helps...........
missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies. I am going to the dr's for something unrelated tomorrow, so I will bring it up while I am there. I just didn't know if exercise/diet changes could do that... I have had it STOP/go away for a couple months from being more active... but never start early.. lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkinouille View Post
Only things that have really changed are my diet & acitivity level.
That will do it! Change in diet and activity level can mess up your TOM. Like i just had surgery the end of May and only got TOM 2 weeks ago for 3 days and feels like i'm getting it again. Go figure....joys of being a woman
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #7  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

A few summers ago, when I started running every day after a lifetime of no physical activity, I started getting my periods every three weeks for awhile. It died down eventually! But if you're already going to the doctor, it doesn't hurt to bring it up.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  

Well - went to the drs yesterday. She said that sometimes these things happen & for now, not to stress over it. She told me that if it continues to happen, we might need to try a different pill. Sounds easy enough.