Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Wink PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ January

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

HAPPY JANUARY EVERYBODY!

Well, it's a new month of a new year of a new decade -- we sincerely hope that you and yours will be richly blessed this year ...

2010 ~ HAPPY NEW YEAR ~ 2010

May this new year of a new decade be a year of new beginnings, renewed hopes, new dreams, renewed health, new victories, and a year full of new blessings for you and yours ...

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S DAY TO EVERYONE!

HI LADIES~ we had a quiet New Year's Eve too; just stayed home and watched movies, but DH did stay up to cheer in the new year. I stayed up later than that; as I got into one of my historical Harlequin romances and couldn't put it down! It is a special edition with three stories; one down, two more to go ... oh boy! I love 'em: they're clean with no swearing, and always have a good ending too ... my kind of stories, for sure!

We switched things up a bit and had pasta for dinner tonight; had a good OP day, and just did stuff around here. It's a bit cold again and the wind is fierce so DH didn't even want to go outside today. It's suppose to warm up just a tad tomorrow; yeah!

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend; and take good care ... ROSEBUD
Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #3  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ I remembered a question that you asked me in the December thread and forgot to answer you ...

POSTUM or OVALTINE is a hot chocolate drink that is low in calories and made with carob and no caffeine. It is cereal based; and the chocolate (carob) one that I like is only 60 calories for 2 tbl. I used to buy Postum but we can only get Ovaltine here but it tastes very similar. I have to add a bit more sweetener but for the lower calories, it is good enuff.

That is what I meant when I said I would be drinking that for awhile; I also picked up a milder brand of coffee and it is much better too. I noticed at the store they also have a malt or coffee flavor; and another malt drink that I may try sometime too. I also have my tea still, but just am making it weaker. Sometimes, I may have a glass of skim or 1% milk; and of course, I drink some water too.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello all fellow chicks

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR 2010

I have woke up to another covering of snow although this is reasonably early in the morning it does appear that the sun is trying to get out at present so maybe this snow will not hang around as long as the previous bout we had. Glad though to have got a walk in yesterday evening yes it was a little cold but my mum and dad have given me a really useful gift. These are two round discs when cold are completely solid. To use them you need to pop them in a pan of hot water with a cloth on the bottom so that they do not come in direct contact with the base of the pan whilst heating up.. It does not take many minutes for them to change to a liquid form inside the round disc. They are perfect then for putting into the palm of your hand. So last night I put these heated discs in my gloves and they did the trick and they were as warm as toast. The walk was a lovely one and our Rizzie though it was grand until he heard a firework and then was on edge listening out for more.

Yesterday morning was one of those days where it took me a long time to get going as my body had other ideas as I put it. So then you seem to play catch up for a lot of the day trying to get things done in time for meals etc. Then forgetting that you have not done something till rather late. I think the enforced defrosting of the freezer took its toll. Serves me right for not doing it when I should have rather than put it off for so long. Today we are having pork in Thai Chilli sauce (cheating I am afraid from a jar ) Though I am going to add some extra vegetables along with the meat. We are having that with brown rice and stewed apples rather looking forward to that.

Gosh it is the year 2010 it does not seem possible I can remember my grandparents and parents for that matter saying how fast the years went and I did believe them as a child. Now I am much older I know exactly what they mean by the speed things go when your older and you do not know where time went. This year is the year for the commonwealth games in Delhi For those who do not know what the commonwealth games are it is a games that is held every 4 years and it is scheduled 2 years roughly between the Olympics. It is very similar with most of the sporting events going on to that of the Olympics. Has the names suggests it is open to countries that once belonged to the British Commonwealth. Although when I was in a supermarket the other day we did glance at a reputable newspaper and there was suggestions that the British Team would not take place this year due to the safety of them. Not sure if this is true but it is so sad that terrorism is a constant threat by the minority spoiling it for the majority of law abiding citizens.

ROSEBUD Ah now I know what you mean when you say Ovaltine we have that brand of malted drink here in the UK and I know thing there is a chocolate variety as well as the original one.

Like you I love the films which are free from swearing etc. I think that is so often why I veer towards the children's films or animation as I know I will get it. Or some of the old black and white films where swearing would not have got past the censor in those days.

I watched a couple of " who do you think you are?" these are famous people who find out about there past. So often it takes the person on a fascinating journey and they are not all from middle to upper class people. Often they have come from working class backgrounds who's parents struggled maybe to get by. Compared to our ancestors we have it easy as there was no welfare state if you couldn't work so it is likely I would have ended up in the workhouse separated from my DH. I am so lucky that things have changed. I think I like this programme with my interest in history.

Yesterday there was a room preserved as it would have been for a loom worker way back in the early 1700's. Then another star a typical room of the 1900's that a family would have lived in if they were struggling for money. Gosh shocking it was so tiny one room, no running water in that room, no bathroom of course and no heating so very basic. This stars family had I think 9 of them in total where they all slept heaven knows because there was so little room but the woman took this room rather than going to the workhouse. They then became involved in the Salvation Army which provided financial help for you if you joined and preached on their behalf. So needless to say in the poor areas the Salvation Army was thriving as they were the one person to help them and they did not judge them in anyway. Providing they agreed to be teetotal it did not matter if you where a unmarried mother for example which in those days was nearly as bad as murder in many peoples eyes. One thing I found out from the programme as well that the Salvation Army would help pay your passage to immigrate to places like Canada as many of his family members had done.

No further news for today my friends so I will say bye bye and take care all.

purpleorc

purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #5  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Good morning from Utah, USA. Very near Salt Lake City as a matter of fact. Looking over the posts, this looks like a good place for me to be. I was diagnosed with MS almost 2 years ago, and with the numb feet due to this AND type 2 diabetes, walking is no longer my best exercise, and not eating everything in sight is definately a challenge. I sit on my butt at a computer all day at work too. I do love getting in the pool and doing my own thing though, I just need to be tougher on myself and do it regularly.

I re-joined Weight Watchers just before Thanksgiving, and will be back this coming Wednesday. I subscribed to the monthly pass. I hope to be able to check in at 3FC more often, as you see, I've been a member for awhile, just not posting. Unfortunately, I can't log on at work, and by the time I spend 8 hours with a computer at work, I don't always want to spend more when I get home.

It's nice to "meet" you all, have a great day! It's partly cloudy, 36F, and supposed to snow more here today. It's funny when people complain about the weather, it's like "HELLO, it's winter in Utah!"
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #6  
Rosebud

BACK, KIM ~ we are glad to have you join us on our thread here. There are also Diabetes threads in this forum too. PURPLE, VAL, and RONNI all have MS too; so they can really be a good support for you and know a lot about that disease. I was born with Spina Bifida and that really affects my back and walking in the winter time. I have great difficulty walking in sand or snow; so now I use ski poles in the winter and walk indoors whenever I can (especially in large stores). In the summer, we can go to a track or a school, but in the winter, there aren't as many places so I and many others use our local department stores and large grocery store to our advantage! Do come back and post often, as we'd love to hear from you!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ since you have Ovaline over there; you know what I mean. I really like it, but have only tried the Chocolate one so far, as that is my favorite. I will try the others sometime just to see what they are like. Like you, I like historical shows esp about real people. Many, if not most of our families hail from Europe, so many people would be surprised to find out how and where there anscestors lived.

As I have told you before, our anscestors hailed from Ireland (in two lines), Wales in England (could have been of Italian or Hungarian descent though), and possibly other parts of England in the Euro-Indian/German line; and possibly some from North America in the Native Indian line. There also may be some French in there way, way back; but that has never been verified. What an interesting mix, eh?

Seems like it is going to be a record year for ***** in England this year. We do love to complain about our weather here; they say that it is a national pastime in Canada. It is often just used as small talk or as a source of a joke to lighten things up a bit too.

It is very cold here again today, down to -17C and -25C during the night, but that isn't counting the wind factor which can drop the temps down by as much as another 10%. I didn't even venture outdoors today; stayed inside, thank you very much, but the did come out for most of the day to warm us up a bit and that was nice ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend; and do keep warm ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-02-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/202/140

Height: 5'2

Hello,

new to the board... and i have t2 diabetes, unstable angina, PCOS, sever hypertention, and a few other things that I've forgotten the name for lol..

Anyway one of the ways to get things undercontrol and hopfully drop most of my meds is to drop some weight... so i'm starting tomorrow so thought i'd say hi.....
mousie033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #9  
TimeIsNow

S/C/G: 243/243/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. I have a couple of issues, the first one being the need of surgery to repair a huge hernia in my abdomen. Secondly, I am bipolar, so I take anti-psych drugs that are notorious for weight gain. I am having problems exercising due to the hernia - it gets very sore in that area as it seems to be tearing - so I am stuck with diet restrictions. The meds slow down my metabolism ... but I am not going to let this get me. I have found a healthy diet - one by EDiets where each meal, you choose one food from each catagory - and have committed to it and journaling. It's amazing to realize just how much you are eating when you keep a log. I am just getting started (again) ... in hopes of having the hernia surgery within the next three to four months ... and this is it because I am so tired of being miserable and hurting.
TIMEISNOW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #10  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good morning

It is a shade past midnight and at the minute I feel as lively as a cricket hence why I am up at such an hour. I have had to take extra medication today so no doubt it will hit me before long.

SHOOTINGSTAR to the thread and nice to hear from you. Like Rosebud mentioned I have ms myself as do several other users to this thread so we know what it like living with this condition on a daily basis.

on making positive inroads to healthy eating by joining weight watchers. I found changing things gradually was my key to my keeping my weight off for so long. I gradually introduced wholegrain foods such as bread and pasta. Have more pulses like lentils it is surprising how you can squirrel them into many dishes from casseroles to home made soups.

Like you exercise is my big downfall as part is laziness but other is my body just physically can't manage it that day. So I do what I can and try to be more diligent on the days I can do it. I usually feel good when I have done it just need a sometimes to get me going

MOUSIE to the thread glad to have you on board.

I don't know if you have already decided on an healthy eating plan for you. I calorie count as it fitted perfectly into my lifestyle. If you have not made a decision there are plenty of plans to take a look at and see which one is for you.

I have read numerous times here on 3fc where people have decreased their medication or stopped it altogether. I hope that you are one of the lucky ones. Even if you happen not to be then you will be far healthier and feel a lot better than you did at the beginning of the journey.

Looking forward to getting to know you better over the forth coming weeks.

TIMEISNOW
to the thread it is nice to hear from you. I know what it is like to be on medication that is doing the absolute opposite of the healthy eating plan you are following. I have trigeminial neuraligia for which I take two lots of anti epileptic drugs for which have the wonderful side effect of weight gain

Documenting your food intake sure does make you realise what or how much you are eating. I did this at the beginning and I was horrified to see how much I had been eating on a daily basis day after day You have made a good start keep up the good work. I know it is hard balancing food restrictions and the balancing act not to aggravate the hernia. I have a tummy ulcer so I have a bit of restrictive diet not so bad as it use to be but it still bites me occasionally if I don't get it right.

ROSEBUD. Yes you are right about the record year for snow here in the UK not seen this much and for this long since my teenage years. Here I think we have a hobby complaining about the weather it is either too hot or too cold but it is done light heartedly really. Temperatures are soaring well below zero but nothing so cold as _25c I have seen many years ago -8c once. Although there is talk of there being temperatures in some parts -15c

Wow you sure do have a mixed ancestry. I knew about your Welsh roots but not of Irish etc. My ancestors did not wander very far but have stayed in the same county or the neighbouring one for a short period of time maybe for work but have no documentation. I would like to investigate further into my family but need birth certificate to get a mothers name. My investigations now would cost me as many other people have started to research their ancestry. This then made the holders of census and birth, deaths and marriage documents pay to view it or get copies of it.

Time to make strides to bed now so take care one and all

purpleorc
Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #11  
Rosebud

MOUSSIE ~ yes, you do have some health issues there to deal with right now; and losing weight could benefit for sure. Some say even losing 10 lbs can be of value and 30 lbs is even better; and they are both managable amounts. I am with you about the meds; I want to get off them too. So far, my sugars are good and now I am on a lower dose of Metformin; someday, I'd like to get rid of that altogether.

Do come back and post often; I find this place helps me keep on track. Do you have an special plan in mind? I started off with portions, but now have added calorie counting/tracking as I find that really helps me see what I am really eating and how to make improvements.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #12  
Rosebud

TIMEISNOW ~ ya, they say there's nothing like the present, eh? I find journalling very helpful too; it shows you where you can make improvements and helps me keep a more watchful eye on what I am eating each day. It is very easy to start the mindless munching thing, when you aren't keeping track.

You have your eating plan, and that's a great start; but you could still do some walking, hand-weights, stretchie band work, chair aerobics, toning exercises on your arms and legs, etc. Even lite TAI CHAI would be OK and swimming might be good if you have access to a pool in the winter nearby.

This is a great place for support; come back often, as that really seems to make a difference for many people ...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #13  
Rosebud

HEY LADIES ~ well, we had another cold and stormy day today: -19C during the day, and -25C again this evening ... ya, that deserves a big ... I only ventured outside once for a few minutes to reset our timer on our lights. We are keeping them up for the celebrations for later in the year, but I turned them down to 4 hours for now.

DH went out a few times to clear our doorways and in front of the car, as snow was blowing all day long; we had snow ***** squalls all through the day, and quite severe winds again. I really think it's the winds that are making it so cold out there right now. The weather people say that it makes it feel -31C out there in the winds; your skin can freeze very quickly, so it's not good to stay out there long at all.

When our NIKO goes out -- as soon as he has done his duty, he barks to come right back in; you can't blame him really! Too frosty for the snowmen even! Sadly, my Bethlehem star got damaged by the winds last night, but DH says he will try to find a way to fix it up somehow.

PURPLE ~ I have been reading some really good stories lately; they are the historical Harlequin romances done in different period settings. It is really interesting to see how people lived in other eras; and these nice stories go well with them. I like these kind of stories; they are really enjoyable to read, and really would make lovely movies like they used to long ago. Like the old black & white classics that I love so much; we have many of them on tape still. DH was watching one tonight before he went to bed.

I also like the fact that these stories have good endings: people find ways to solve their problems, and they always help each other out too. I also like the ones that are based on people's real lives too; esp when they tell how they made the best of a bad situaion. Even more so, it is so inspiring to see people turn their lives around and then go on to help others too.

Well, I finally got my PC working right so I could post again; so better get this done now. Had a good OP (on plan) day; just had a restful day today. Take good care ladies ... ROSEBUD
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/202/140

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the welcome.. right now i'm going to try calorie counting... but i have and i've thought of low carb... but it's hard to keep up and i'm trying for something that will last so i'm going with calorie counting....
mousie033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #15  
MSer living healthy

Hello ladies

I have been a busy bee in the kitchen for the best part of the morning. I have made a pan of home made soup this one is just a very simple one of 3 ingredients leeks, potato and chicken or vegetable stock. No particular measurements just really how many leeks I had left in the house plus a couple of large potatoes. Then you just add salt and pepper to your own personal taste. If you wish you may add cream or a healthy option is natural yoghurt. (although on this occasion I did not add either ) Very nice and warming soup and a simple one for beginners to making home made soup. Prior to serving the soup though I did blitz it with my hand held blender to have a smooth soup.

I have then done the pack up for tomorrow when I go for my treatment at the MS centre of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I have made sandwiches from a home baked gammon. I have then in two old yoghurt pots (washed out of course ) I have chopped up small some peaches (tinned in juice and drained) then topped with a little sweetened natural yoghurt.

In between all this I have cooked lunch of stuffed chicken with just peppers (bell) and spring onions which I sweated off in one cal spray till nice and soft. I popped this inside the chicken breast and put one small sliver of cheese (lower fat variety) then wrapped it up in a piece of bacon then cooked it in the oven. My belly has shrunk could not eat all mine so our Rizzie (dog) benefited not that he was complaining any I have made a sandwich for tea also and popped this on a plate covered with cling film (plastic wrap) till we require it later. I am now very tired after doing all that in the kitchen this morning.

I was reading from the BBC site today under the section about Scotland. I found that a poor lady was separated from her husband this Christmas after leaving their remote location at Cape Wrath to get the last minute shopping and then found due to the snow that the passage home was now impassable. I had never heard of Cape Wrath so I then decided I would enlighten myself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Wrath. Now there is a cafe to visit what a remote location http://entertainment.stv.tv/home/100...st-remote-caf/ The scenery is stunning and I have desire to visit such islands although not so practical now my legs are not so willing. They are grand places if you love walking or bird watching.

ROSEBUD Sorry to hear that nature took its toll on your Bethlehem and I do hope that your DH can fix it up as I know how much you wanted this nativity scene.

I tend to read historical novels and occasionally I will read books when the ladies wore long flowing dresses. Like you say many would translate into good films on the screen. I am still reading about nurses during the second world war and this is a biography. I then have an autobiography given to me by my sister. Not that she reads normally but now she bought a book at a charity shop and thought she would give it a whirl and found she could not put it down. I wonder now whether this has now developed into a passion for reading. I have always had the passion and can't remember a time not reading. My mum has started to read in her retirement and reads quite profusely now. Dad has never read and neither has my DH it is alien to them both. Dad tend to do puzzles in his spare time and will spend hours at them. DH his pass time is spent on the computer playing browser games.

I have been good on the food front and I have now had 4 days on plan and tomorrow food is already so to speak so that will be another day. We vowed to be stricter with ourselves and so far we seem to be achieving this. DH yesterday wanted to buy chocolate cake but I managed to stay strong and we didn't crumble and give into it. Now this is hard for me and chocolate cake is my favourite Although it is great to have someone else on the journey with you for healthy eating as it allows the other to be strong in moments of weakness and choose better option. What did we have instead of chocolate cake? We had a galia melon which was beautifully ripe and so sweet.

MOUSIE Hello again like you calorie counting seemed to be something I could do day in and day out. Although I do not do it so strictly now and I know the calorie content of dishes we make regularly. I do weight out though my cereal of a morning and pasta/rice as I am very heavy handed with this. I do spot checks as well on myself every now and again to see that I am still giving roughly 5oz of protein for my hot meal of the day leaving about 1oz for my sandwich.

I have gradually introduced as well over time vegetarian meals which I would have never have thought of prior to this journey. I have more chicken and turkey rather than red meat but it has all taken me time as I am slow to change.

I think like you the key to success is finding a plan that is you can stay with for life. I realised that right at the beginning before I started I need to find something for life and I looked around. Read everything I could get my hands on and start from there. I have made tweaks along the way to my eating plan as my weight reduced and I became static for weeks on end. Nothing major was changed maybe a slice of bread per day reduced and one potato less on my plate. To fill me my vegetable intake has grown over time. At the beginning I was on 2000 to 2200 calories per day and I still lost weight and I had been eating at least 4 or 5 times that much per day. I am now on about 1500 per day. If I am going out for a special meal I will shave maybe a 100 calories per day off for nearly a week and that then gives me extra calories to have for the special meal without it going over calorie wise. If I did go over calorie wise at the meal it would be very little as you had all those extra calories to play with nearly 700

I eat as well about every 2 to 3 hours that way I tend not to become hungry and devote everything in sight We tend to eat about 5 or 6 times a day which seem a lot but maybe when I say eat we may have an apple or a yoghurt. There are quite a few snacks that you can have that pan in around 100 to 150 mark. I always save a 100 calories so that at the end of the day I can have my one naughty a choc ice. I think this is a UK creation but all it comprises of is a small oblong piece of ice cream with a thin coating of chocolate on it. The chocolate can be milk or dark so suits both tastes. I have shopped around to find the best calorific and tasting one. If I have a bit more money then I have a skinny cow ice cream. Things here in the UK are mega expensive as most things are imported into our country.

Well time to go and put the kettle on and have a cuppa as I am sure ready now. Hope you have all had a lovely Monday catch up with you soon. I hope to drop by tomorrow but time is short on the ground on a Tuesday. Take care all

purpleorc