Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #31  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Fellow chicks

Hello it is me again I hit on this brain wave not that I have many of these that I might be able to answer your beautiful posts after all. I thought if i did it on “Microsoft word” then copied and pasted it on to 3fc then I would still have the master copy if the internet decided to go on the blink again. So here goes....

Rosebud was right yesterday was my shopping day and I need a rest after all that exertion. Though I am beginning to feel back to my normal self which is a good job considering DH is coming down with a cold. So I am plying him with paracetamol not sure of the name used over the pond for this drug though I do know it is licensed to be used there. Although I seem to have a sneaky feeling that it maybe called acetaminophen in Canada and USA. I have also been giving throat lozenges when his throat feels really sore. Though trying to get medication down him is dreadful anyone would think I was trying to poison him lol. It is like have a teenager who is on medication and having to remind them to take in when in actual fact they are old enough and responsible enough to do it of their own accord.

The treatment I have on Tuesday helped immensely to restore my energy levels it was as though someone had just plugged me into the electricity mains and suddenly I had the energy to do things. Not that I am over doing it I am still taking things easy as I do not want to run before I can walk. I know this treatment maybe short lived and I will need a few more to put me back together again. On Tuesday at the treatment centre it was extremely busy the busiest I had seen it. I think everyone and their granny came This is an expression used to indicate that it was busy and it seems that the whole family was there due to the age ranges of the people. I think that is the best I can describe that phrase that is a really old one I think my grandparents used to even say. The centre is only small so when you get 3 or 4 wheelchair users plus people with various walking aids room is of a premium.

Talking of wheelchairs we are just about to look at a second hand one well one of these scooters but this one comes apart and in small parts to make it easy for storage. We have a very good friend whose son’s father in law passed away recently and it is his scooter. He had not long got this due to his health issues of being riddled with arthritis and bad asthma. So I can get it very cheap at £500 when the new price is £1500. So I will let you know if it is ok for me. I am a little reluctant as it is still a lot of money to be spent on me I know DH wants to get it for me and has no qualms but I am the more reserved one when it comes to spending so I am very cautious. I like to spend money on others not myself or do things for others not the other way round. I suppose the shoe is on the other foot and it just feels strange and uncomfortable at that minute to be on the receiving end.

ROSEBUD I was fortunate growing up my parents had an allotment so there was an array of vegetables. Although not as many types of vegetable that I eat today such as butternut squash or sweet potatoes never graced our plates. Not that I was a great vegetable eater as I a child I was really bad to be honest. It was only as I left home and I tried more and more varieties of vegetables and found that I like them. So now there is not much I will not eat vegetable wise apart from the dread humble pea

Yes you can stuff tomatoes instead of peppers if they aren’t to your taste. To please your DH you could put chicken or some other meat throughout the rice or cous cous. You can even stuff it with lean mince beef I have seen recipes if that will please his palate. Today I have done for lunch sweet and sour gammon (normally would do chicken but I am using items from the freezer slowly but steadily I will soon have to go to the store for meat as I have very little left, yippee never thought I would be able to be strict enough with myself to use just meats from the freezer but I have done it) with rice. Then low calorie yoghurt with mixture of fresh and tinned fruit I have been organised and sorted out our tea as well. So it is a ham sandwich with framage frais and a small banana for after. So I have that meal sown up. So this afternoon can have a long rest before we venture out.

RONNI I hope that you are feeling better today and all you can do is on the bad days do the necessary and take as many breaks as you can. Just as you are going to do and ride out the bad times and look forward to the “better” times.

Never TMI for me with having being a nurse It is so horrid to suffer from stomach issues due to whatever reason. I hope you find refuge in the home remedy treatments that you have and that they take away all the horrid side effects that are so miserable at times. There are so many symptoms with MS that it is so hard to keep up with them all. We were discussing this on Tuesday at the MS centre that we pass symptoms off to MS but are they MS or are they indicative of another disease it is so hard to say.

For example my father has poor feeling in his feet and frequent trips to the bathroom. Hey presto I would put that down to MS if I was experiencing those symptoms so easily yet for my father it was diabetes. Doctors can also be dismissive of ailments we have and they go oh it is your MS when in actual fact it maybe something else differently. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying that your tummy problems are anything more than the long list of symptoms MS gives you so I do not want to frighten you in any way shape or form that is not my intention. I was just pointing out how many symptoms there are in MS and it is so hard to know them all. I have medical background and I only know so much about the disease which I touched on in my nursing career how any earth are we suppose to keep up with all of the symptoms it baffles me at times I think I best keep quiet as I think I am not explaining this very well and the more I try the worse I put my foot in it Sometimes getting words right or spoken words for that matter come out all wrong and not has I meant them to be

I had to my knowledge one grandfather who was in the WW2 but my other grandfather was in a reserved occupation. I come from a really rural area where there are many farms in a short distance from the town. With being an island it was imperative that we produced as much food as we could so not has to rely on imports into the country. Hence we had rationing from very early on in the war and my parents can remember that as rationing still continued long after the war had stopped. It stopped in 1954 so some 9 years after the war had cease. Even though the food was rationed the diet was healthy with less meat, fat and sugar. The emphasis was on vegetarian food more and I suppose it is the diet we strive towards today with being in the position of losing weight not that I always achieve that I might add

SPICY So sorry to hear that your dear friend has cancer of the bladder. I am sending prayers that for her recovery and strength needed for the treatment ahead. The medical advancements now days give much better treatment than years ago. So miracles do happen as you say and she will be a cancer survivor.

I know this news has knocked you side wards about your friend so I am sending prayers for you as well to give you strength in the road ahead in being a support to your friend. Your friend will need a listening ear not to mention a shoulder in the months to come along the bumpy path of highs and lows.

Ouch for the burnt fingers they are so easily done I am sure we have all been there more than once with a moment of lapse of concentration the accident happens. My worse burn was when I decided to lean over the kettle as it was boiling whatever possessed me I do not know to this day, it is something I never do when it is switched on but that lapse in concentration it is easily done. I burnt the outer part of my forearm with a 1” wide by 2” long burn. It took months to heal really I think I should have gone to the hospital but I treated it myself. I do have a scar on my arm for my troubles but due to wearing a cardigan most of the time due to being cold it does not show very often.

We all have our moments when we slip from our “diet” so to speak and go off the rails. None of us are perfect the best thing to do is hop right back on the wagon as soon as you can and put it down to experience. I have had to hop back on the wagon more times than I care to remember I have a real weakness for chocolate cake need I say any more, I am drawn to it like bees to a honey pot

Yikes this post has turned into an epic I think anyways I have no more news to tell you ladies so I bid you good bye once again and all look after yourselves till next time

purpleorc

purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ We had another day today, mostly for the AM, but it was still there all afternoon, but with a bit of a haze around it, but hey, we'll take it after that gloomy, overcast October ... that's 4 days in a row for us -- and still no ***** out there!

We had another busy day today; did some more sorting of our spare room and tossed out 3 boxes today. The room is half empty now and that is with all our Christmas boxes in there too, so we are almost done ... yeah! So I got lots of walking and exercise in today too!

PURPLE ~ you weren't the only one having trouble getting in here today; I tried to get in here all day and couldn't for some unknown reason; others had the same problem. Finally got
creative, and got in by coming in on an old thread directly ... that I had posted in some time ago ... go figure, but it worked!

Glad to hear that you are feeling much better; your MS center is becoming more and more popular I see, and I bet as more people hear about it and the good effects of the treatments, it will likely get even busier. I think that is great that you found a scooter for that price; I agree with your DH, you deserve it and I think you will find it makes your exersions to malls and other places more enjoyable for you. I hope it suits you and you grab this opportunity while you can ...

I hope your DH gets over his cold soon; will send up prayers for him. My DH somehow hurt his foot, but he doesn't remember when or how. He is going to lay down right now to see if some rest helps the pain go away. Hopefully, it is just a wee sprain and will be gone in a few days.

We had nice wild pacific salmon with mixed rice and French style green beans for dinner and it was very good; I poached the fish in lite Ceasar dressing and it was yummy. Had a great OP day today; hope you all did too!

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow, and take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #33  
Rosebud

Hi this is Numpster, dear sister of Rosebud! She wanted me to tell you she wants to be here, but is unable to load the site through her internet connection. I was able to load it and get in.

She said to tell you that she will keep trying until she gets back in!

Numpster
Old 11-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #34  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Yeah I finally cracked it and managed to break the door down No matter how I tried last night and earlier today I was unable to make it here so here I am better late than never. It never entered my head to use the method you did Rosebud to get here I just presumed the site was down for maintenance or having technical difficulties.

Today I have written a letter to Auntie and Uncle in Cyprus. I received my birthday card from them yesterday despite them sending it well on time we have had postal strikes here and unfortunately this has had a knock on effect on the mail by the looks of it. Normally any birthday cards for DH or I comes weeks before not weeks late. I am sending them the letter on Monday with a birthday card for Auntie and there Christmas card and hope they get them in good time.

Today for lunch we have had turkey casserole made from the thigh meat which was on offer. It has made a beautiful casserole and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I did some stewed apples and custard for dessert (made with sweetener of course) not the best choice but it is so seldom we have custard that it is nice to have it once in a blue moon.

Last night the weather was atrocious the wind was howling and the rain was lashing down. It was not fit for ducks even Today no rain and the wind has died down some.

My sister went to the doctors yesterday to get her test results from her battery of tests. Unfortunately she has osteoarthritis as they expected not the birthday gift she was expecting this year I am sure The doctor has but on Ibuprofen 600mgs TDS sorry I mean 3 times a day. This comes from the nursing days but it come originally from Latin and translates to three times a day. I still think in those terms about medication and how many times a day to take them. I hope they provide some relief from the joint pain that she is having. One blessing I was thinking at least the children are now no longer toddlers and requiring being carried. The youngest is 10 and the eldest is 16 now. Wow when did they get that old it is hard to think where that time went.

ROSEBUD It seems that my treatment is holding out and I still have some energy even though that is beginning to wane a little but that is normal as the days go on.

Talking of you clearing out your old boxes etc reminds me that we have got to tackle a walk in cupboard before my parents get here. This is because we think this is where the scooter will be stored as it is one that comes apart into smaller parts. It is surprising how things build up over the months and years and we have to be strict like yourselves with living in a small place.

I hope your husband is OK and it is just a slight sprain of the ankle. I know that hurts from previous experience though not recently fortunately. It is so easily done and sometimes you do not even know you have done it until later.

Sounds like you had a really healthy meal there with salmon. Salmon here is very expensive to buy fresh tinned is cheap by far but I am sure it is not as nice as the fresh. I am not a fish lover but wish I did eat more of it but bones put me off. I can take bones out what I know as wet fish or more commonly known as fresh fish. But know I have less function of my hands I find that job way to fiddly not to mention I would not always feel the bones as I once had done.

NUMPSTER Nice to hear from you I have been having the same difficulties as you to find the key to the door but my perseverance prevailed. I hope you are well and so are your family.

Well time for me to go and make tracks we are having a late tea tonight as we are not hungry. So I need to go and prepare it soon before we are having a midnight feast

Bye bye ladies till next time

purpleorc
Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #35  
Rosebud

HI PURPLE ~ finally able to get in here tonight; boy, that sure took a while. Ya, I tried all Friday and earlier today with no luck, so my lil' sister tried for me, and as you know, she was able to get in and send you a wee message just to let you know why I wasn't here.

I'm glad you found a way to get back in; and that you are feeling better today too. We had some here this AM (had lots of wind here too); and the sun tried to shine thru a few times to cheer us up. DH was very upset becuz we found out his priest (for many, many years) died of a heart attack on Friday and he was younger than DH, so it was good to rest and take the day to reflect anyways.

I talked to a lot of my family today and a friend as well whose Dad had to have emergency colon surgery recently; they will also be coming over either for Christmas or New Year's if they stay home this year. They are planning on going to see her parents sometime, depending on how they are feeling over the season.

The wild Pacific salmon we had on Thurday night was filleted and didn't have any bones in it at all; it was really nice and mild flavored too. I picked it up on a deal as well; it was on sale recently, so I bought 3 packages becuz DH loves it so much. I don't like strong tasting fish and this is one that I actually like, so I was game to try it once to see how it was.

We really liked it with the lite Ceasar dressing (which has a mild garlic flavor to it) which is a perfect match for this fish. Lots of fish here is expensive too, so I only buy it when it is on sale and stash it in the freezer; we picked up some Sole fillets last week on sale too.

A friend of ours and his wife went carrot picking this AM and brought us a box; that was so very nice of them to do that. A local farmer here had lots of leftover produce and as Christians, every year they offer this to anyone who is willing or able to go pick it. I think we will have enuff to last for almost the whole winter. I will put some in the fridge and the rest in baggies in the freezer.

Well, I'm glad that I was able to get in here and post; hope there aren't any more problems and that we all will be able to come in again in the future. Take good care, my friends ... ROSEBUD
Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #36  
MSer living healthy

Hello fellow chicks

It has remained windy here but sunny so I have taken the opportunity to put the washing on the line which has dried well. I am going to iron it shortly so I do not get too much of a build up of ironing to do at one time which as we all know is back breaking.

I have already prepared our sandwiches for tea and popped them in the fridge till we need them later. We are having the last of the fresh fruit / tinned fruit today for tea. I will have to make another batch up soon with some different sorts of fruit.

DH has a cold at the minute you know the sort "man flu" Joking apart poor love has had two bad nights sleep with it hence my sleep has been broken because of his tossing and turning. Plus my TOM has arrived hence I have back ache as I often do round this time. Though it goes as quick as it comes and I tend to get one bout of the trots. I suppose it must be to do with the hormones and how they have an affect on the body I suppose.

I was watching a very old comedy programme last night one I used to see in my childhood as it was first screened in 1974. It was all good clean fun and it still funny now. So it shows it has stood the test of time if it still remains funny and it is nice that it is not filled with lots of swear words. In actual fact there were none it was called "porridge" set in a prison around a first time offender and habitual criminal.

ROSEBUD I am so sorry to hear your sad news that your long time priest has passed away so young. It is difficult news to digest when anyone dies but some how it is doubly hard when it is someone so young. I hope you find solace through reflection and prayers. My thoughts are with you during this sad time.

Maybe I would like pacific salmon if the taste of fish was mild. How do you cook it? Is is steam or bake in the oven would be nice to know in case i see any on offer. Fish here when I was a child was a cheap meal but over the years it has got more and more expensive to the stage where it is more in line with the fillet or the loin of meat but less of it for the money I think maybe it has do with over fishing or restriction brought on by being in the European Union. The European Union if you are not aware is a group of countries in European (not all European countries but the major one and they have been joined over the years by smaller countries) then we have restriction on how much can be produced and how much can be fished etc. Many countries changed their currency to the same one being the Euro but we the UK kept our £££. It is a union that many people feel we that should not have joined due to the concessions we have to do and they can not see many benefits from being in it either.

*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*
*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*

Just broke off in between typing this message to complete the ironing as I wanted to get it done before it was too late and all my energy had disappeared for such tasks. With not cooking today I was able to put my energies into something constructive as ironing rather than wasting it.

What a lovely thing for your friends to do to pick a box of carrots for you so kind and thoughtful. They will come in handy over the winter months. Here we are lucky as the winter is not so severe there is still some produces being grown like winter cabbages, brussel sprouts and kale to name a few. It was so Christian of the farmer to offer people the chance to go and pick some vegetables from his excess. Years ago when I was a teenager a farmer who my cousin was working for at the time use to let us have several buckets of peas just as they were being picked from the field. So we could not have got them any fresher. So then as kids we spent hours shelling the peas and getting them ready for my parents to blanch ready to put in the freezer. I can also remember sitting in the gardening shelling broad beans. It is funny what pops in your mind all from me thinking about the farm.

You see my cousin went to agricultural college as farming is one of the occupations that men think able with living in a rural area. Lincolnshire is a flat county and good soil for growing produce. Though it is not the big fields that I see in the USA but smaller fields with hedgerow dividing them or dry stone walling ( a wall built just with stones and no mortar, very skilled art to be able to make one of those ). I love to see dry stone walling but even more I like to see hedges that have been plashed by farmers. http://www.btinternet.com/~rob.martin1/fort/plash.htm Here gives you some idea what plashing a hedge is. To be honest until my granddad died and I was helping grandma move to a new place I did not know he had done that and won competitions for it. Granddad worked on a farm the same one for 40 years and he apparently entered numerous competitions and won awards.

Another thing I found out about my granddad when he passed away was he was a special constable which is a volunteer policeman who helps out on days when more officers are needed for example a football match. The only reason I found that out I was sorting grandmas needlework case out and found a cloth badge to be sewn on to a uniform at the top of the shoulder to indicate he was a special constable. I so wished I had known about these things when I was younger but you never think to ask such questions.

The nights are pulling in thick and fast now it is pitch black now and it is not even 5pm. DH has just had to put central heating on as it has got rather chilly now. We have the heating on now first thing in the morning ready for when we get up so that it is warm. Then the rest of the day it is normally OK until around now when it gets cold again.

Time to think about having a drink to take my tablets with it is that time again. Bye ladies and take care

purpleorc
Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #37  
Rosebud

We had a funny mixed bag of weather today; some and some and some ***** and some ~~~~~ (that's big winds)
... it just couldn't make up it's mind ...

PURPLE ~ the first time I tried the Wild Pacific Salmon, I poached it in the lite Ceasar sauce in a small skillet; but the last two times, I baked it in the oven in a glass baking dish (so much easier really). I sprayed the dish, put the meat in and put about 1/4 cup of the lite Ceasar salad dressing over the meat and 1/4 cup water; covered the dish with foil and baked it in the oven for about 1 hour @ 375 F.

I also did a side dish of rice in chicken broth at the same time. I heated the French style beans on top of the stove about half way through (30 minutes before the rest was to be done). It all turned out nicely too.

That sounds interesting all the history you found out about your grandfather. One of my grandfathers was a brilliant sock inventor & machinist & manufacturer; and another (on the other side of the family) was also mechanically inclined as a licensed mechanic, and he also did retail and was an avid gardener/small farmer. He also worked in the famous Avro Arrow super-sonic airplane factory here in Canada many moons ago, which he was very proud of and talked about quite often.

We just had a relaxed day today, as I decided to take it easy after such a busy week as my legs were a bit tired. Take good care, and hope you all have a MARVELLOUS MONDAY .... ROSEBUD
Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #38  
MSer living healthy

Hello ladies

Well I do not know where today went not that I did anything exciting or really did anything but it seems to have got this late and I haven't posted on here today. So I thought I best make an appearance before I retire to bed.

On waking this morning there must have been a good down pour as the area we call the patio (nothing like a real patio mind you just a group of flag stones in front of the kitchen window. the rest of the path is just concrete) was standing in rain. We also had another sharp downpour of rain this afternoon but in between that it has been rather nice weather but the wind still remains.

DH cold has taken hold now and it seems to be moving down to his chest now. I do hope it is not like previous cold when it went to his chest and he required antibiotics as he just could not shift it on his own. Fortunately he had a better nights sleep though he was up apparently at 6am. I say apparently as I was tucked up nicely in my bed thank you very much I don't do 6am way to early for me I am afraid.

ROSEBUD It was nice to hear about what your ancestors did before as employment. I find the whole thing about genealogy exciting uncovering all these exciting factors of their lives. I loved doing our family history but came unstuck on my mother's side of the family around 1900's when it was left blank for name of father so likely illegitimated birth. We always knew that there was something my grandma wanted to hide as she was adamant that she was not wanting the family history to be explored. We kept our promises and never did do this in her life time. It was only many years after her death did we do the family tree for my mum's side of the family. The funny thing is illegitimacy is not viewed as something so be kept hidden and secret but obviously my my grandma came from a different generation and her belief's were different from ours. We kind of guessed this might have been the case that she was trying to hide the illegitimacy in the family but never knew for definite until undertaking the research.

Thanks for telling me how you cooked the salmon to be honest I wouldn't know where to beginning as I am not very skilled at cooking fish as we do not eat it. I used to do fried fish but that is off the menu these days with our healthy eating. Had a good couple of days food wise and stayed on plan so pleased there.

Time for bed I am afraid my dear friends I am so tired now so good night ladies and take care.

purpleorc
Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #39  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we had some nice this AM with a few clouds here and there, so we decided to go do a wee bit of shopping today. I ended up walking all over the store --spending too much time looking at all the nice Christmas stuff. I only bought a couple of things this year though ... so far! I am doing quite well resisting; today I only bought some nuts and some special dark chocolate bars for 99c each for my stocking: a very good deal. I am trying to keep it healthy this year.

I have to find some things for DH's stocking (without him seeing me is hard though) but I will wait a bit for that; maybe I'll send him on a errand or something like that. I am not really sure what to get him this year ... hmmm ... will have to put my thinking cap on for sure! I have my main big gifts for my parents (Dad & SM) and a couple of friends, so all I have left is to get one treat gift each and some small gifts for others; and I have to get DH's at least 3 gifts.

We are downsizing this year, so I must be very selective what I get him. I also found some nice Christmas movies for good prices; these will go under the tree for both of us. EAch year, we try to get a couple of fun Christmas movies to bring good cheer; one is a movie about the REAL CHRISTMAS STORY about Mary, Joseph, and Jesus: it looks like it will be a good one that we will treasure for awhile ...

So I ate healthy today and got lots of walking; I had to lay down for awhile this afternoon as I overdid it a bit (my poor feetsies were throbbing). I also cleaned and puts some of those gift carrots in our crisper today. We are using our back porch like a cold room; we rinsed them and put cardboard over them to keep them dark and protected. I am going to put a thermometer in there so I can watch to make sure it doesn't get too cold in there; if it does, we will move them to our spare room instead.

We had one sad bit of news today -- that our BIL (TOM) who has been having heart problems isn't doing well; they went to a specialist and they said there isn't anything else they can do for him. We met up with his sister today and she says that he is losing weight now, so we are praying for him for comfort and peace (and for his wife too).

Take good care ladies, and we hope you have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-16-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #40  
Rosebud

HI PURPLE ~ yes, it looks like you were in here late for sure, but it was nice to hear from you. I am kinda late too as I spent some time tonight sending out prayers for our BIL and his wife (as I mentioned above).

I will be sending up some prayers for your DH that he will start feeling better soon too. I don't get up too early these days either (only did that when I worked before); now I need at least 8 hours to rest this poor body. I go to bed a tad bit later than DH though (about 12 pm). NIKO and DH are up with the first light which is a bit later these days. NIKO wakes us up from around 6-7 AM, but I fall back asleep again. DH has always been like the farmers: early to bed; early to rise ...

Hope you have a great day at your treatment center tomorrow; I know how much you look forward to it too ...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #41  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hello, everyone! So long since I've been on here-same problem as everyone else and just couldn't get on here for several days, then, have still been feeling ill, so have been trying to rest, but, of course, there are always chores to do, so rest is hard to come by

Praying for healing for Purple's DH and Rosebud's BIL & DH's ankle.

We may run to the photographer today, as he called to tell us that DS2's senior pic proofs are ready for us to look over and make choices. Other than that, nothing going on here. As I said before, still not feeling well. Along with the tummy trouble, I've been having a migraine for about 6 days now. It comes from a neck injury from a car accident over 3 years ago and when it acts up (from sleeping crooked or twisting my head too far), the headache just hangs for days.

But, anyway, enough with the complaining. Hope you all have a great day! I'll try to be back later!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #42  
Rosebud

HI RONNIE ~ don't mind you sharing your health issues with us; this way we can pray for you and be more specific about what is wrong, becuz we want you to be as well and happy as can be ...

I have had a few injuries on my back (spine) that act up now and then too. I hurt some discs on my lower neck and in the middle of my back (not something someone with Spina Bifida needed really). They think the top one was when I fell down the stairs and dislocated my knee; and the latter injury happened or was aggravated when I was just making the bed, no less.

I lost my balance and pulled my back so bad I couldn't straighten up for 3 weeks: just to go to the washroom, I would scream it was so bad. Thank GOD, it healed pretty good, but if I just make the wrong move or go too fast, I feel a sharp pain go up my spine ... eeks -- so, I have to be very careful now.

Hope you start to feel better real soon; prayers still going up for your DAD and you MIL too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-18-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #43  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had the most beautiful day today. We had all day long. We decided to do a bit of Christmas shopping and then we went for a ride to a few of our favorite lakes. It was a glorious day ... just way too nice to stay indoors. We got home just as the sun was getting ready to set ...

We found another small ornament to put on our front deck becuz we had one space that was a bit empty. We found an adorable shovel with penquins on it that will look great beside our moose-reigndeer. I also got some lovely snowflake stickies for our front window and a few sparkly snowflakes for our little Christmas tree too.

Made a nice cassoulet bean pot for lunch with some leftover roast pork and veggies from Sunday; and had sole fish for dinner. Got lots of walking in at the store (did this on purpose), then we went for our lovely drive.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow; and take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-17-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #44  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Horrid weather here today in the UK drizzling with rain and windy. Not a nice combination and here's me wanting a nice day to wash the dog's bedding. Oh well Mum said the weather was suppose to be nicer Friday so I have to wait another couple of days to wash.

DH still full of cold and my body is still making its mind up whether I am getting it or not. I keep getting a sore throat and feeling achy but nothing more. Joking I tell him I can tell the cold its from DH as it can't make it's mind up. This is because faced with a choice at a restaurant he can't make his mind up what he wants as he has such a wide taste in food and not fussy in that department. I wonder if that comes from being brought up in a children's home (not orphaned or anything like that he was a naughty lad and kept running away from home I think the route of the problem was he as his father did not see eye to eye. He was a military man with strict values ) and you eat what is put in front of you else you went hungry. Either way he is a dream to feed and he will try anything as well.

I have taken a tumble today after trying to ferret from underneath my computer table our Rizzie's tennis ball on trying to stand up from the floor my legs played bambi. I landed on my knees which now are very sore and my back feels a little sore also. Although my knee's took the brunt of the fall so I am hoping that tomorrow I am not too stiff and sore I expect I will get a bruisesfor my troubles. Needless to say DH gave me a flea in my ear for getting down on the floor. Sometimes I don't think and this gets me into mischief. I forget that I am unable to do what I once took for granted.

Off to hospital tomorrow regarding my mouth so seeing the maxofacial team but the appointment is rather late as it is 6pm. So we have to battle the rush hour traffic going to the Queen's medical centre or locally know either as Queen's or QMC. This hospital is a large teaching hospital built in 1977 it meant several smaller units or cottage hospitals closed when this opened. At the entrance to the Queen's there is a stained glass window depicting and remembering this places which I thought was a nice touch. This was the hospital that I did my nurse training at all those years ago but did my actual nursing work in a hospital called Saxondale but this has since closed down. This is a website showing a few views of my old hospital which I so fondly remember http://www.countyasylums.com/mentala...axondale01.htm When it was closed down parts of it was demolished though some was converted into living accomodation and a restaurant. In the grounds houses was built, DH took me once to see it and I was so heart broken I Knew things would be different but the reality kicked in on seeing it for real. I loved my training in this hospital the friendly atmosphere and comradeship. I have never worked since in such a wonderful atmosphere. Probably created by the nature of the building being isolated and miles from anywhere as such.

RONNI
Sorry to hear that you are poorly and it is hard to rest when you have a young family to care for who need you. I know my sister has the same trouble as yourself with having a family to care for. I hope you feel better soon.

Like yourself school children have their photographs taken every year at school plus a class one to buy if you want. You get a selection of photograph's to look at and if you want you can buy them and extra's for grandparents etc. No pressure to buy them but most parents at least buy one as a record of their year in school. I know my parents bought mine and still have the embarrassing selection of them. My first photograph I think it was I had decided much to my parents horror to give myself a DIY hair cut. So by the time I had finished hacking at it I barely had a fringe (bangs) and my hair is so short it looks as though I am in a boy in that photograph. The next few years I am minus a few teeth as you loose your milk teeth and get your adult set. So none of those photographs are particular good either After that they did get better phew

ROSEBUD Ouch your recount of the back injuries you have sustained over the years sometimes from the simplest of tasks. It seems that if you have once injured you back in the past it is something that you must be careful of at all times else it comes back with vengeance. Like you say when you already have an issue from birth like spine bifida it is the last thing on earth that you want. I not sure if like my next door neighbour a lady also with spine bifida she walks with a strange gait due to the condition. This in turn has put stress on other joints which is often the case. The specialist has told her if she does not lose weight then she is looking at a wheelchair very shortly. She has just turned 40 and does not believe or does not want to believe that her weight is a contributing factor so the issues with her hips. I do hope that she takes the specialists advise and attempts to lose a little weight. I know it is not going to be easy. I just know that she eats much fried food and maybe if she just cooked it in a different way it will make a difference. I do not want to seem holy than thou and have never preached to her. This is as I know only when you are ready to listen or take the first steps to losing weight. (I know this from my own attitude for years it did not matter what anyone said about my weight and that I should lose it. I would not listen but found more solace in food and of course the weight just piled on. It was only when I was ready did I have the ears to listen and I made my first attempts to lose the weight I had carried for so long) I know this happens also with polio they walk differently from the norm thus giving problems in later life. There is a medical name for this but at the minute it eludes me I know it can cause concern during pregnacy in polio due to where the paralysis and the lady will often come under the consultant due the nature of more difficult potential prenatal care or birth. Consultant doctors here in the UK often take on the more complex cases in any speciality due to there experience and knowledge.

Sound like you making great preparations in to decorating for Christmas. The shovel sounds rather cute and you will have to take some photographs to show me how beautifully you have decorated your porch. People here do not tend to put things like that out but decorate with lights. Some people take this to extremes and the house and garden is adorned top to bottom. Though the ones who often take this too another level so to speak do this for a charity and people donate money for their nominated charity. We have a house not far from our home that we visit every year as this man put so much effort into putting all these pretty decorations up. I wouldn't want the electric bill with the cost of fuel these days

Time to go and make a spot of tea. Ham sandwich for me and DH is having a cheese sandwich made from reduced fat cheese. I weigh the cheese out before hand and cut about 1oz and grate that. It is surprising how far 1oz goes if you grate it on the finest setting. Bye for now and take care.

purpleorc
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #45  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had another gorgeous day today ... what a gift from GOD! My Aunt emailed me today and says that the weather people are predicting mild weather for some time; it seems fall has finally arrived after all ...

DH went to his priest's funeral today -- and it was so fitting that it was so nice and today, as this man was always smiling. There were so many people there he had to stand thru the whole thing which lasted about 3 hours then they went to the cemetary too. They had a small snack and viewed some history of the church and then he came home around 2 pm.

This nice priest was only 52 years old; he had a bad heart and had been sick on and off for awhile from what DH heard today, but now he is free from all that ... so GOD BLESS HIM! He was a dedicated teacher as well, and loved both positions he had. That is a lot to take on being a high school teacher and a priest at the same time, but he did a marvellous job of both, and his students talked well of him too.

Seems I too have caught a wee cold so I stayed home today and rested; but thankfully, it's not too bad right now. The symptoms started with runny nose, stuffiness, sneezing, and a small dry cough, but that has subsided thankfully. This afternoon we put up those decos we bought this week and they look really nice: I esp love the snowflakes on the windows.

PURPLE ~ The pictures of the building of the hospital where you used to work were very interesting; that looks like it covered quite a big area. I know how you feel: I worked in a nursing home here that was closed down too. DH and I went to see it the day they knocked it down; and we had mixed feelings about it, as we thought it was big waste of a good building.

They couldn't find anyone to buy it or get any money to use it for something else, so they demolished it; and sold off the land for housing lots. Some still haven't sold yet. We've had to tear down some old schools and other buildings that really were in bad shape though, so our town is changing somewhat right now.

I am not so sure that your neighbour doesn't WANT to lose weight; I think there is more to the issue than that. We have to be careful about making judgements about how others feel or what they think about their weight. I have never met anyone who likes being fat or who wouldn't like to be normal size. It isn't my place to tell anyone anything about their weight becuz I know they know already.

Anyways, it was pasta night tonight so we had creamy pasta in a mushroom sauce. Hope you all have a nice day tomorrow with good weather like we are having here; and take good care ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-19-2009 at 10:41 PM.