Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm still struggling with the giving up the carbs part. I've been dieting since I was five and the only diet I never tried seriously (oh, I'd try it for a week or two here and there) was low carb. I believed everything bad that's ever been said about low-carb dieting, so I never gave low-carbing as a lifestyle much consideration.

I think I'd really be losing more consistently, if at least a few times a week I didn't think I can have a few extra "good" carbs if I trade out the calories - like an awesome quinoa salad I made recently - Gosh it was good. Actually the quinoa was a good choice - it's high in protein for a grain-like food (it's not a true grain). It would have been fine if I didn't tell myself (as I have so often before) that it will be fine if I just trade some of my protein exchanges for the starch in the quinoa. That never works out well for me, but I keep thinking I can do it (because I still expect the calorie math to work, like it did when I was in my twenties).

I even have some added insentive for being even more grain conscious - or at least, wheat-conscious. I've learned that I'm actually allergic to wheat. For a while I was thinking it was just a mild intolerance, because (at first) it seemed that I could get away with eating one or two servings of wheat (and still feel normal). Well, I think my normal was just crappier - because the longer I go without wheat, the more severe the sumptoms even a small amount of wheat will trigger (mostly joint pain and a nasty, swollen, flaky, oozy, crusty, itchy, burny face rash, hubby calls face rot - and the dermatologist calls seborrheic dermatitis).

So no more wheat. Totally sucks. I've never craved pasta, bread, tortillas and pizza so much in my life. I don' even care for pizza usually (I like it, but I almost never crave it) and I was furious with hubby the other night for eating a Lean Cuisine type frozen pizza in front of me. The smell made me want to clobber him (and steal his pizza).

My one experience with wheat-free bread was a complete disaster. Four times the price of regular bread, and it had the dry texture of month-old poundcake (but at least month-old poundcake would have had some flavor - this stuff tasted like nothing. I think I would have preferred a bad flavor to no flavor. I felt like I was gnawing on an old wool blanket - no that also would have had more flavor).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-12-2009 at 01:57 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's funny, when I enter quinoa and, say, oats, in FitDay, oats have a bit more protein for the same given carbs. And quite a bit more fiber, so effectively less carbs. But I have always heard it was more "complete."

Quinoa
1 cup dry
636 calories
protein 22.3g
total carbs 117.1g
fiber 10.1g
nonfiber carbs 107.1g
fat 9.9g

Oats
1.133 cups
688 calories
protein 29.9g
total carbs 117.1g
fiber 18.7g
nonfiber carbs 98.4g
fat 12.2g
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Although you can get complete proteins from plant foods (by food combining),
I believe quinoa is one of only a few plant foods to be a source of complete proteins (a full set of the essential amino acids).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote