Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Estrogen Dominance

Does anyone else suffer from this? I've been taking a DIM supplement for a few weeks now, but I haven't noticed anything different. Other people say they noticed some change when they took the first dose. Anyone have any ideas to lower my estrogen? And I refuse to see a doc. I am against pharmaceuticals unless absolutely necessary.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If one is truly estrogen-dominant, the two best ways to control that are stress management (to keep cortisol levels in check) and weight loss, particularly weight loss that involves a lot of exercise. Eating a more whole foods diet will help, too, and some research indicates that cutting unfermented soy and other plant foods with high levels of phytoestrogens has some positive effects as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Would you mind saying a bit more about Oestrogen Dominance? I haven't heard of it before and I wonder if it might have any bearing on my post-menopausal, non-cancerous, once a trimester bleeding?

Thanks.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #4  
Free-thinker

Estrogen Dominance is where there are really high levels of estrogens in the body, whether they are natural or come from outside sources. Normally one also has low progesterone levels, but mine are normal. I got my estrogen tested and it was really high for where I was in my cycle. Plus I have suspected it, since I have a ton of fat in my hips, butt, and thighs, yet my waist is pretty small. And I avoid soy as much as possible as it is, since I am also hypothyroid. Which also makes it hard to eat some veggies too.

Last edited by BlessedBe; 08-04-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you are already keeping an eye on phytoestrogen intake, most likely the high estrogen levels you had in your test results are a result of being overweight. Excess body fat in fat cells leads to increased estrogen production. http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com...lth_news.shtml

The best way to lower your estrogen levels back to normal levels would be to lose weight, particularly via exercise, as this will also reduce cortisol. Research has shown that exercise alone, even independent of weight loss, can reduce free estrogen levels in overweight women.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #6  
Free-thinker

I'll try to start exercising more, though losing weight is hard for me. Most of it is my eating, but I don't want to be on any kind of restricted eating. Though I try to avoid white flour, HFCS, and other things. My biggest problem is sugar, though I haven't been craving it much lately. I'm trying to start cooking more of my meals, that way I know what goes into them. I think I might get a lot of carbs, but they are usually whole grain carbs. Getting myself to exercise is my biggest problem.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
If you are already keeping an eye on phytoestrogen intake, most likely the high estrogen levels you had in your test results are a result of being overweight. Excess body fat in fat cells leads to increased estrogen production. http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com...lth_news.shtml

The best way to lower your estrogen levels back to normal levels would be to lose weight, particularly via exercise, as this will also reduce cortisol. Research has shown that exercise alone, even independent of weight loss, can reduce free estrogen levels in overweight women.
True, but many environmental factors cause estrogen dominance too - plastics, pesticides, etc. Blessed - you should have your hormones tested to see if you are indeed estrogen dominant. Many women are, but I don't think you can just assume it without having the lab work.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #8  
Free-thinker

I did have lab work done. And I knew where I was in my cycle, so I could see the ranges. I was at least 400 points over what I should have been for the area of my cycle I was in. Here are the results and ranges, if anyone wants to see them.

Estradiol - 482 (19-83)
Total Estrogens - 836 (122-437)
Serum Estrone - 148 (37-138)

As you can see, I'm really high on Estradiol and total Estrogens. My estrone is a little high, but not as bad as the others.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

What did the doctor say who had the labs done on you? I'm not well versed enough to really know the ranges, but I do think you should see a doctor (maybe an integrative healing MD if not comfortable with traditional meds) and get some recommendations. Have you ever read any of Dr. Lee's stuff (he is now deceased). He's the author of What Your Doctor Didn't Tell You about Menopause and What Your Doctor Didn't Tell you About Perimenopause. Supposed to be very thorough books on hormones. Good luck!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote