Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning ladies! Yes, I got through the dentist thing...a bit dopey from the flexeril though. That stuff sure does take the wind out of your sails, huh? Whew...I could sure go for a snooze right now! The novacaine is starting to wear off but everything went as planned. My new crown will be in place in two weeks. I just hope the "temporary" will stay glued in there for the duration.
Mima, I wish you didn't have to go through this "biopsy" thing. Why can't they use a mild form of anesthesia like the "twighlight" stuff to do these procedures? They are neanderthal in their thinking about gynecology in general as far as I am concerned. I'd like to see a man get up there with his feet in the stirrups and get poked and prodded internally.....
Good luck to you Mima...I'm sure all will be okay.
Managed to get all my housework and ironing done yesterday. Cooked a great "Greek" chicken dish en papillote last night. Tomatoes, onions, black olives, fresh oregano, thyme, garlic, white wine, a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of feta cheese. It was delicious! Baked it wrapped in parchment for 40 minutes. Tonight is a stirfry. Need to get some fresh broccoli. Hope everyone enjoys their day!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #47  

Man, you are a good cook Kate. Glad the dentist went well.
My doc could not do the procedure but he did manage to get something caught so there was some pain and he kept apologizing. So now I have to have a d and c. Appt Monday with the anathesiologist. Then it will happen the week after. At least I will be out!!
The supper at the campground was great and I had apple crisp. She is a good cook.
Got a letter from the place in FL to take care of our weeds. The guy next door used to do it but he is dying.
Going to lunch with campground ladies -at the country club just down the street.
Brad has to finish fixing the toilet or we can't stay.
At least things are ok here. Mima
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #48  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody.. Things on this end of the world are going as well as can be expected.. Most of the Dr. appointments are finished at least for me.. The hubby has a couple more.. As well as some tests for his heart..
It is hot here again.. No rain in our part of Fl. for a few days.. It is dry here on the coast.
My son cut our grass this week and while he was trimming sliced off my passion vine. I don't think he even realized it.. So as the root is still there maybe it will come back. I took some cuttings and will try to root them.. Kind of sad as I have been watching it so close.. Oh well that's life..I won't tell him..
Mima I think I missed something.. Hope the Dand C is negative.. I had one years ago and then they decided to get rid of the problem..
Kate -My hubby is greek so I now and then cook greek food.. Too many calories in them so I don't do it that often.. Just when we are having something special. We both have to watch our weight and colesterol.. He needs to lose a little..
Meme- Happy Anniversary.. I hope you had a good trip.. Mine is the day after Christmas so now that we have been married 55 years we don't do much.. Too tired from Christmas and usually lots of company around or just leaving.. We are homebodies anyhow.. He likes his Fox news and I like my books or handwork.
I have been wanting a quilted bag for somethine. I made one and finished it yesterday. I do quilting by hand. I have made several quilts ,bed size,and have another one in mind.
Well the laundry is waitng on me and Christie is in line for a both.. I may make a couple pies today.. Hubby likes sweets for breakfast. That is most likely why he needs to lose a few pounds..
Joanne
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #49  

Good morning all. Hubby has a Saturday off for a change...not sure it is a good thing as he is already driving me crazy! Hope he finds something useful to do and soon.
Mima, I just cringed reading your last post.... and I hope the D&C goes more smoothly. I would have gotten my foot "caught" off side his head if it were me! The code of ordinances here in Florida can be very strict about lawn and yard care. Our county will send a registered letter, have the lawn done by a contractor and then put a lien on your property until the bill is paid. We have one neighbor here we call the "yahoo" who has had code enforcement at his property at least 20 times for the numerous violations. He's a real piece of work...bought this brand new house a couple of years ago and now it looks like a junk yard. Oh well, it seems there's always one or two in every neighborhood.
Having a terrible time with my shoulder now. It is definitely limiting the use of my left arm in general. Can't even change the linens without pain. I still have another week to go before I see the orthopedic. I just don't feel ready for another surgery at this point. I'm really not a happy camper having to deal with these kinds of issues!
Joanne, I love mediterranean food in general...especially a feta cheese I found at Walmart made with sheep's milk. It is outstanding. Much better than any supermarket brand.
I used to cook professionally but now I love to just whip things up in my kitchen here at home. Off to see what I can get accomplished...with one arm that is! Hope everyone has a great day. Bye for now....
Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Default Hello & some basic fibro questions

Hello, Ladies.

I am relatively new on 3FC. I was diagnosed by my MD (after I had self-diagnosed & brought it to her attention) with fibromyalgia last October. I am interested in learning how weight loss has affected your symptoms, if at all. I have been overweight since childhood and am wondering if with dropping weight if you feel you have the same increase in energy as others and if general fatigue changes at all. Any other information you could provide about your journey in this respect would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #51  

Hello! Sorry I haven't been here for several days. I went away with a friend for a couple of days, came home and received a call that one of my uncles passed away, and things have just been crazy. My brothers are both in Australia on vacation, so I just felt overwhelmed or something. I will be glad when they are home.

Meme, I've always wanted to go to a Mystery Theater. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Anniversary! How many years? Ouch to that knee cap!

Kate, when I take flexeril I try to take it at night, but there have been a couple of times I've taken it during the day and I just can't stay awake. I'm sure the new haircut feels good. I need one. Wonder if Joanne has ever made that Greek dish for her hubby? She and Eleni took me to a Greek restaurant when I was down there, and it was yummy! Sorry to hear about the Yahoo in your neighborhood. We are lucky where we live since it's an association that takes care of things. One neighbor starting putting on a cover over their patio, and the assoc. stopped them. Everything has to be approved before things can be done.

Anne, OA is one of the biggest causes of fatigue, huh? Boo hiss on that one. Must be part of my problem then. I laughed about you leaving a list at home because I have done that so many times.

Mima, congrats to Bobby and Pam on their engagement! Glad to hear that Evan is going to Bible school.

Joanne, I'm sure your son didn't realize he cut the plant. I'm with you on not telling him about it. Hope it will grow back for you! That's neat that you made yourself a quilted bag! Are you going into business like Vera Bradley? You could make millions! I'll be the first to buy one from you.

Welcome to FutureFitChick!! There are many things that have helped my symptoms since I was diagnosed in 2004. I was teaching full time then, and there were days when I could barely get out of bed and missed several days of school because of that. My last year of teaching I only worked part-time which helped the pain level. Then after I retired, I saw a huge difference. No more stress from administrators, and my pain level went down so much. I have also been doing exercises the past few years. I started out by doing water aerobics classes at the YMCA. That helped, and then I would get into the whirlpool after class which made me feel better.

A little over a year ago I started taking aerobics classes. I had to modify almost everything, and there were days that I couldn't go to class, but just starting to move helped with the pain. My weight went up and down for about 9 months while I was exercising. During that time my husband passed away, and I think the exercise helped me with the stress levels that I experienced (still experience alot!).

In January, 2009, I started a Bible based weight loss program called First Place 4 Health. I also continued to take aerobics classes at the Y. I wasn't having to modify things as much, so I knew I was making progress even though I wasn't seeing a huge weight loss. Since Jan, I have lost 19 pounds (I bounce between 18 & 20). This summer I am taking different classes since the aerobics class I like isn't offered during the summer. I take pilates and right after it I am doing Zumba. I am modifying some with these, but they are so much fun!

I do feel like the weight loss and the exercise has made a difference in my pain level. On days that I've really been "out of it", it is not so much the pain but the fatigue that gets me down. I love your list!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #52  

Good morning all. Not having much luck with exercise and this shoulder problem. Haven't been able to get back to the gym for Zumba yet. The motions of lifting my arm to the side or out to the front is excruciating right now. Queenie gave me a pull on the arm the other night during our walk and it has made it worse. I sure hope this orthopedic can do something for it. Hopefully it is NOT a torn rotator cuff and something that perhaps a cortizone shot might help. I can only hope here, right?
Joanne, I have a passion vine next to my pool patio that climbs up a trellis my hubby pout up to give us some privacy. My understanding is that you can cut these things way back and they still grow up like a weed. You should be seeing new growth already?
Tammy, sounds like you had fun on your mini vacation. I sure have been feeling a bit overwhelmed myself lately and could use some R&R but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Queenie needs her daily care/walks and I'm it...unless I end up paying for someone to do it which may be in the near future if I need surgery!
Welcome Futurefitchick. I have lost 44 pounds in the past 9 months and have not noticed any changes in my FM. I also thought that weight loss would be the key but have discovered that is not the case...at least for me anyhow. I still have a significant way to go for weight loss but so far I'm still having issues with fatigue, muscle tenderness and general aches all over most mornings. Once I get going, it loosens up a bit but I still take my ibuprofen and tramadol regularly to keep it in check. But that is just me and it may be different for you....keep us posted?
Off to run a few errands. We were suppose to go to a gun show in Melbourne this morning but I didn't feel like wandering around up there in this heat. I think today might be a good day for a nap!! Hope everyone is feeling okay and is enjoying their day.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #53  

Kate, I hate to hear that the shoulder problems are causing you so much pain. Do you know of any good kennels around Vero Beach? I'm thinking of coming to the Disney place sometime, and I'd probably have Maurice with me and he can't stay with me.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #54  

Default Hey There

TAMMY- Check with Disney.. I heard they have a kennel. If not I bet they can guide you to a good one.. Those guilted bags are sold down at the docks here in Tarpon.. They cost much over 50$.. Mine cost me less than $10 and some time..
kate I hope the passion vine will come back. It is one that have large purple flowers. I took some cuttings and will try to root them.. ..These plants are not to be for me. My step G/son mowed one down ,it came back and then my son-in-law mowed it down again.. I got it at home depot. They told me it was a passion vine. It has small pink floweres .. I paid $15 for it.. I think I got gyped..I bought the last one from a garden book.. I got 2 . No flowers on it yet..
Hello All..Joanne
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #55  

I bet your bag is beautiful, Joanne. I have 4 Vera Bradley bags-all given to me-I love them .
Weight loss has not helped me although I was never big-only 20 lbs. It's the motion and good sleeping. Acyually, the fibro isn't that bad but the spinal stenosis is-going to tery to get chiro appt after the appt for d and c.
That's only the initial appt-the d and c is next week.
Had 2 nice days at camp. The toilet got fixed. Going to work 3 days. Then a week off-a weekend away, and 5 days of work.
Tammy-your weight loss is awesome. Evan got best disciple award. I sure wish they would go to that church instead of the one they go to,
Hope you had a rest, Meme. And oh your shoulder, Kate. Give it a rest!!!!!!
What pain.
Bye for now Mima
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #56  

Good morning all. Where to begin? Such a weekend! Got caught in the pouring rain again last evening while walking Queenie. Boy, this was the worst yet! Even my walking shoes were filled with water and Queenie is still damp this morning from it! We were definitely a sight to behold trekking down the street....
The shoulder seems to have calmed down a bit this morning. It will be fine until I change the bed linens later. My appointment with the orthopedic is Thursday. I'll let you all know what he says. I know they are going to take 3 x-rays when I get there but not sure if an MRI will be ordered. It's a wait-and-see now.
Mima, you are right about the spinal stenosis. I have it severely in my lumbar and cervical spine and I believe that most of my pain and muscle problems are a result of that more so than FM. I still have not found a chiro who can deal with that issue effectively and who is also in my insurance network. I just can't afford numerous adjustments without my insurance right now.
Tammy, there are a lot of kennels in Vero Beach. I'm not sure if Disney offers a pet haven for their guests but I am sure it will be expensive if they do. Here are some alternative places to try if you want to:

1) Pawprints of Vero Beach: 7900 12th St, ph: 772-567-2121
2) Pet Friends & Co. of Vero Beach: 1924 44th Ave, ph: 772-569-1141
3) Vero Beach Canine Country Club: 6750 73rd St, ph: 772-978-9817
4) Dog Kidz Country Daycare & Boarding: 7050 77th St, ph: 772-388-2200

I just checked the map for Disney Resort. It's only 2 1/2 miles south of CR 510 on A1A. That's really close to where I live in the Highlands. Based on that, the kennels closest to Disney would be the ones in the "country" area of Vero....#3 & 4. The others are closer to downtown Vero. There is boarding place right on U.S.1 just around the corner from CR 510 and it is Kirby Veterinary Clinic, 5740 US 1, ph: 772-567-4324. That would be probably less than 5 miles from the resort, over the 510 Causeway on Rt. 1. Let me know how you make out or if you need further info.
Joanne, passion vines are like weeds here....they just keep growing and growing. I have a deep red one on the side of my patio and it is getting it's little "fingers" in my screening. I may have to cut the sucker down to protect my screen enclosure!
Need to go get stuff done...not sure what besides bed change and vaccumning but it was a tiring weekend and I feel a little burned out. Hope everyone has a great day!!

Last edited by Kate53; 07-13-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: change of directions
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #57  

Joanne, I know there are kennels at Disney World for daytime, but I was talking about the resort at Vero Beach. I've seen some pretty expensive quilted bags. I would love that plant with the purple flowers. That's my favorite color.

Mima, glad to hear the toilet is working! Hooray!! Congrats to Evan on the disciple award!

Kate, I can just imagine you and Queenie getting drenched. Thanks for the info on the kennels! I need to make a decision on when I want to come down, give the resort a call about reservations, and then contact a "hotel" for Maurice. Hopefully if I come down, we can meet!

My uncle's funeral was on Saturday, so I spent some time with some of my cousins that I rarely see. On Sunday, I went to a birthday party for Bob's aunt. She will be 100 on Wednesday! There were so many people there, and I really only remembered a few of them. Some I had never met even though Bob and I were married 27 years, but many of them live in other parts of the country. It was so nice getting to visit with his aunt though. Such a sweetie!

Hello to everyone!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #58  

Good morning-glad the shoulder has calmed down, Kate. I would skip the sheets!
Took me 2 hours at the hospital for pretesting-and an hour drive each way but I did get to go to chiro. Need to go more often.
Getting a shot this morning and then to Wally World. Walmart!!
It has been so much quiter since Debbie's father came.
I do remember we left the dog in the kennel at Disney for the day.
Gotta wash my hair-Mima
Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #59  

Good morning all. Yes, me too to Wally World! So funny you also call it that! My hubby's favorite saying! I'm going to take the rest of the morning for myself and go to Pet Smart, Wally World and Pier 1 Imports. I buy my candles there. I am just feeling so burnt out lately. Got bitten 3 times in 10 minutes by those da** mosquitos walking Queeine this morning! I waltzed her butt right back to the house after she did her business. Not a great start to the day, huh? I'll go spend some money...that will make me feel better!! I'll check back later!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #60  

Mima, I always feel better after the chiropractor. Feel even better than that after a massage though.

Kate, I'm sure spending money helped you feel much better, right?

Classes went well this morning. Part way through pilates, I was thinking that it should be getting easier for me. I think it's just as tough now as when I started a few weeks ago.
Closed Thread