Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 11:18 PM   #16  

Hi gals:

Well had a quiet day. Resting my muscles.

Daughter & I drove out in the country to a community garage sale.
It was only about 10 - 15 mins out as we are on the edge of the city.

There seems to be lots of water on the land. Quite a few towns
S of Winnipeg are flooded. Some as bad as the 97 flood. Many
people out of their homes and in shelters etc.

Our house i about half done and looks really good. It is a soft
light greenish/grey with dark green eaves etc. Most of the houses in this community are still the original white, so it is really a nice change.

My Iris' are almost ready to bloom - maybe tomorrow.

I am dead tired from doing nothing, other than that things are going well. I have done well with not eating too much and staying in the allowed points.

Hope you all will have a great weekend.

Serenity
Old 06-15-2002, 12:11 AM   #17  

Well..I went to the Dr. yesterday and I have ANOTHER ear infection. This is the third one in as many months. Another round of medicine! The medicine is almost as bad as the infection!!!

I took the afternoon off, went to bed and read the most amazing book! If any of you are a fan of 'edge of your seat' supense fiction...this one is a MUST read. It certainly took my mind off my woes!!! It is by John Saul...The Manhattan Hunt Club. You can get it at Amazon in paper back for $7.99...or even buy it used for less...but just READ it!!! As tired and in pain as I was, I couldn't put it down! It is about the tunnels under New York...and what is so scary is, there is a modicum of truth to it! I hadn't really thought about it much before I read the book. Take a look at this.
http://www.hallbiography.com/general/97.shtml
On a scale of 1-10 I'd give Saul's book a 21!
Old 06-15-2002, 01:18 AM   #18  

Picked some more flowers, raked some grass and pruned a tree now I am hurting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I baked some more cookies, this time a new sugar cookie recipe. I think it would be good for kids and old people who don't have any teeth I like it but Dh likes his choc chip! I couldn't fall sleep this morning due to all the sugar!

Drop Sugar Cookies makes 4 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies 1.5pts each

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon peel (optional)

1/4 cup granulated sugar (for top of cookies)

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl and mix well.

Whisk eggs in a lagre bowl untill well blended. Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and
lemon zest and mix well. Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until blended.
Chill, covered, for 30 minutes or longer.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Drop the cookie dough rounded teaspoonsfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased
baking sheets.

Wet the bottom os a 3 inch flat bottom glass with water and dip glass in additional
sugar. Press the top of each cookie lightly with the glass to flatten. (dip glass into
sugar before each cookie).

Bake cookies untill lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 2
minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers or
freeze.

These make a very light soft type cookie and are not real sweet. I think some
almond extract or a light glaze drizzeled over them would be yummy too! I left the
lemon out since I didn't have it on hand.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:32 AM   #19  

Happy..nice article.....we are not crazy after all! I want one of those scans............. Feel better Yappy

Joanne.......my flowers make me happy but I am not as happy as yappy happy is! You are right about the "d i e t" word..this is a weigh of life not a "d i e t"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serenity.......your house sounds nice, I love green, my favortite color! glad your eating is going well...do seem to notice that it makes a difference in how you feel with the fibro?????? I do...but I am not willing to give up anything for good!

Mima..Brad is a real sweetie.........Did you give him a proper thank you!

Meme...you are just one big mess girl. Make sure you are eating your yogurt with all those antibiotics! Stress lowers your resistance to infection..but then you do not have any stress! Say what???? I hear ya yelling at me! Now.. now calm down dear dear Meme..that spooky book has ya all shook up! That would make me so tense, I like romance novels but never get any read!

Mother's day Flowers, a peach, white and red rose...........They lasted over a week and the smell was wonderful!

Last edited by Candicej; 06-15-2002 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:59 AM   #20  

Default Hi

I am hurting because I did windows yesterday. Almost done with the heavy work-heavy for us, not for someone else. Loved the artticle Happy, I read it to my husband. And demonstrated the pain to him by pressing on my thigh which hurts and showing him the same pressure on his leg-no pain. He wanted to know if it hurt when we......................................and i said no. Wonder why?Enough about that-I'm sorry you are hurting. It's still raining here-pouring-we put the heat on again.Candice, what kind of camera is that? Meme-reading is a great isea=I'm going to try that today. Again, I've got to make myself slow down. Brad is taking the stuff to Salvation Army this afternoon so we can get the last of it out. Tonight we are going to a graduation party and then to the mall.Tomorrow people are coming to a Father's Day cookin including my mother-in-law. Hope all the hubbies have a nice Father's Day!!!Mima
Old 06-15-2002, 11:04 AM   #21  

Default Good Morning

It is going to be really hot here today - 85 or more. You would think I could melt I have to bake some brownies this morning. Going to a 40th wedding anniversary and said I would bring them. Better get to it, as I sure don't want the oven on when it gets warmer.

Meme - sorry that you are sick, but you did find time to just go to bed! Probably a blessing in disguise. Hope you are feeling better.

Mima - You and Brad are sure busy beavers. I hope you get it all cleared out and then can stop and enjoy your new home.

Serenity - I love to go to garage sales. I think I am just naturally snoopy! Hubby hates it I am not having any problems eating below 20 points this week because it is so hot. I wish I could be like some people and just lose my appetite, but it isn't going to happen

Now, I have to put these on a few pages, but these are some photos from our trip. This is one of hubby and me.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 06-15-2002 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:05 AM   #22  

This is Lake Louise, in Banff National Park. It is the most photographed lake in the world, and it is spectacular
Old 06-15-2002, 11:06 AM   #23  

This is a Harpist that was playing at the Chateau Lake Louise. I love Harp music. She looked nice and the harp was beautiful, so I thought it was worth a picture.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #24  

This is just a mountain lake
Old 06-15-2002, 11:09 AM   #25  

This is a mountain river - it is high up and still lots of snow
Old 06-15-2002, 11:15 AM   #26  

This is just one of the wildlife we saw. We did see 4 bears (but they were to far away to get a decent picture) a moose (again to far away) and herds of mountain sheep and deer. I didn't discover how to use the zoom until I came back
Old 06-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #27  

Hi Happy...thank you for the pics (you are your hubby are a handsome couple. I don't know if I saw a pic of you before. Maybe a small one...) and thanks for that article. I KNOW mypain is real. Here's something I can't do....can't sit on a low hard surface, like bleachers, or a stool., or a step. Last nite I sat on a plastic stool in the kitchen trimming my dog for maybe a half an hour. I could not get up. Could not straighten out. It was bad....very wet day too. ANd you are so close in Canada...yet in NY I had to turn my heat. ANd it will rain all weekend.
YEAH MEME. Take that book to bed. I love those edge of your seat books. Must be lots of people do since I picked up about ten at the library book salw.
Serenity...I too just love that name.
Hey Joanne, Candice and Mima. Hope you have a good weekend. I am still going on a hike even if it rains the whole time.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #28  

Default Potato Salad

Potato Salad

9 med. chopped potatoes
1 can 1/2 fat celery soup
3/4 c no fat mayo
1/4 c vinegar

2 celery stalks chopped
2 chopped green onions
2 hard boiled eggs chopped

mix soup, may, vinegar and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix thoroughly. Add chopped ingredients.

10 servings 1C=4 points

WW leader gave us this and said it was excellent. Will have to give it a try.

Also a low fat coleslaw dressing - she wasn't sure of the exact points but low.

1 can 1/2 fat celery soup
1/4 c vinegar
1/4 c mayo (non fat)

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 06-15-2002 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #29  

Hi girls - my 3rd try at this reply = hope I'm lucky this time.

Went sale-ing this a.m. and got a wonderful oval hoop - for quilting or rug hooking etc.

The a/c is not working. The men putting on the siding had taken the thingy off the wall and when they put it back voila - no air.

Now waiting for the a/c man to come. It is over 30C - 86F on
my back yard thermometer.

People in small towns S of Winnipeg are sandbagging etc. What a mess. We drove to Lorette Mb. and the poor farmers - no crop -
fields covered in water - lots of overland flooding. The Red River Floodway is almost as full as when we had a big flood in 1997.

Meme - R
Old 06-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #30  

did it again - keep hitting wrong key - too tired from the heat

Meme - RULE OF LIFE #1 = take care of #1 meaning you.
I know that if I don't I have one sinus infection after the other, and one antibiotic after the other.

This is a good site for finding good books to read.
http://www.chatelaine.com/

if you go there and then hit TALK and then Book Club - you will find the girls there are reading lots of interesting stuff.

Candice - I love your flowers, keep the pictures coming - the uplift the soul.

Mima - maybe your husband has been reading about fibro somewhere. There are many women who have that problem.
It wasn't till I found that out , - I realize why I had so much pain during one of my preg. The pain still comes at odd times, such as climbing a flight of stairs etc. or sometimes if I walk too much. It certainly interferes with life.

Happy - Looks like you had a wonderful trip. I hate the mountains, but love looking at them. It is interesting how the mountain goats will stay still for pictures. Once I got out of the car and said "line up you guys, to get your picture taken" It was
like they knew what I said and they all herded together for me.

Years ago, I lived in northern Ontario, in a game preserve, and
we had moose and bears in the yard etc all the time. They are
wonderous to watch, especially, when they don't realize you are watching them.

Hope you all have a good weekend and great fathers day

Serenity
Closed Thread