Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 03:49 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question and I thought I was lazy :)

Greetings all!
I have been on ww since 4/22 (this is my first time lasting this long!!! ) I have lost 16 lbs so far

Today my dr called with my lab results (I have always been healthy minus the excess fat ) She told I have a hypothyroid and it registered at 9.06 She wants to put me on some meds.

Any advice you can give would be great! including how this will effect my weight loss efforts.

Dana
235/219/212 10% mini goal
5 foot nothing!!

Last edited by slimdown; 06-04-2002 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #2  

You can expect your weight loss to be a bit slower until they get your meds adjusted.

For yourself, if possible, schedule a visit with a nutritionist. My doctor has one in his office. She worked out a food plan for me that is great and really got the weight off. I never knew hypothrodism can cause difficulty with carbs...my old favorite food. I now eat 10 servings of protein a day and only 4 starch and 2 fruit, 3 dairy and 3 fat.

I also had to get walking. Walk at least 150 minutes a week and it helps to do some everyday, regardless of what other exercise you might do.

Don't try to cut down too far or it will slow you thyroid even more. Read labels on meds - many interact with thyroid meds. Take you meds on an empty stomach 1 hour before you eat.

A good site is [email protected]

Good luck! Come on over to the thyroid thread and post there.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #3  

Default hypo

I have hypothyroidism and been taking levoxyl for a year now.
The weight slowly came off at first, mainly swelling I had. I still cant lose the 30 lbs. I gained. I believe I blame my weight issues on it, when in reality, I snack at night cuz my husband works afternoons. How can I watch tv and not snack? Any ideas?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:23 AM   #4  

hi girls,
I read your posts with interest - it makes me wonder if I should have my thyroid tested yet again - docs tell me there is nothing wrong (I have had it tested at least 3 times)

Debbie
as far as snacking goes - well you have some choices really:
1. stop snacking altogether
2. snack on HEALTHIER alternatives
3. watch less TV - go out for a walk instead!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:05 PM   #5  

Default from ak rosey

Hey debbie..i have that snacking problem too..do you like to do crafts?? try some hand work like embroidery,counted cross stitch,crocheting etc..which you can do while watching tv..better than eating and you get somethng pretty..also try having some veggies allready and some no fat ranch for dip..hope this helps..rosey
Closed Thread