Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by migotokokoro View Post
Can a vitamin d deficiency cause weight gain? Or make it harder to lose weight? I just found out I had a count of 18 and for a normal person it's 30+. I tried looking it up, but it doesn't say anything except that vitamin d helps your body absorb calcium and that all unprocessed calcium is stored in fat cells... I'm just a little confused.

Hi migotokokoro,

"Although vitamin D is now frequently measured in older adults, due to a higher level of awareness in this population, it is rarely measured in young people - especially healthy adolescents,"
jusmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #17  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I actually just got diagnosed with very low Vitamin D and the doc put me on 50,000 IU twice a week for the next 3 months. I took the first one on Thursday... and already I'm feeling much better!!! A lot of my problems don't seem as bad (the body aches, etc). Even my period came exactly when it was supposed to do.... something it hasn't done on its own in years! Let's see if it impacts my weight loss in any way...
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #18  
Finding my wings...

Also..... does anyone know what is a good recommended dose for Vitamin D supplements once I'm off my hardcore med? I've been looking around a lot online... and darned if it doesn't seem that there's 20 million different opinions on how much someone with Vitamin D problems should take to keep it up....
Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #19  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

Well, last Thursday I was finally diagnosed... The vitamin D doses is at an end, and the pain is increasing rapidly. I was told by my doctor that I have Fibromyalgia. He's crossed off all other possibilities and it's finally come down to this. My dermatologist told me the next day that I have eczema, which isn't all around bad. It could be worse, and at least it can be kept under control. I have a gynecologist appt. in a month and it is possible that I have endometriosis... My mom told me she had a mild case of it around my age, but without being examined I'm not sure if it's the fibromyalgia or if it really is a case of endometriosis. All I know is that my periods have gotten severely worse since I started and have escalated to immense pain. I think I've found the reason I gained such a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time over the summer. Hopefully It'll come off as easy as it came on when they start me on medication and it doesn't do what a lot of people have problems with when they start medication. I don't think I could handle another 30+ lbs...
migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #20  

Height: 5'11"

i'm really interested in this thread because my doctor asked me at my appointment last week if I was getting enough vitamin D. I have no clue whether or not I am. I had a bunch of lab work done and got the results in the mail today; my doc jotted on the paper "We are still awaiting the vitamin D result." So apparently she feels it's really important, too!

I also live in Washington, but I live on the sunny side of the state. It's not nearly as cloudy/rainy over here this time of year as it is on the west side of the state, but it's been a long, dark winter so I definitely could be low. It'll be interesting to find out!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #21  
Being A Better Me!

Yea, doctors are really looking for that now. Apparently most Americans are low of vitamin D. It causes a LOT of problems...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 275/270/150

Height: 5'6"

I think it is how far north that matters because in the winter the sun doesn't have enough strength to reach Washington. Not the rain.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #23  

Hi. I am interested in if you find out anything. I was tested 3 months ago and found to be deficient in vitamin D. My level was 14. I just had blood drawn yesterday for my diabetes appointment next week and will find out then if my daily over the counter suppliments helped. I did recently lose 35lbs, but I gained 10 back. It did not seem to hurt my losing once I was calorie counting and exercising.

I live in Florida and am out in the sun a lot, so I was surprised it was low. However, I never leave the house without at least an spf 15 on my face. The doctor told me go out without sunscreen for about 15 minutes each morning before the sun is too bad.

I wonder if it had to do with some of my diet changes. I stopped eating eggs and switched to egg beaters. My triglycerides went from 109 to 49 though, so I am not switching back to eggs. I do eat yogurt and milk, so I get dairy every day.

The doctor did say recent studies show Vitamin D being important in keeping healthy and could help prevent cancer, but the studies are still being done on that connection.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #24  

Well, my doctor called me today and said that my vitamin D levels are VERY low and that I'm to start taking 1,000 iu per day immediately, and to keep it up for 3 months and then she'll test me again. I did a little research, and the body aches and pains, foggy-headedness AND weight gain can all be linked to vitamin D. So I have my supplements and will start taking it tonight with my supper. I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference in how I feel.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #25  
Being A Better Me!

That vitamin D was an issue for me, but I'm done with my treatment and the pains have only gotten worse... There aren't any other alternatives... besides the fact I MIGHT be able to lose weight better.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by migotokokoro View Post
That vitamin D was an issue for me, but I'm done with my treatment and the pains have only gotten worse... There aren't any other alternatives... besides the fact I MIGHT be able to lose weight better.
I'm sorry that you're not feeling better. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out a solution. That sounds like a drag! Hang in there.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #27  
Being A Better Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I'm sorry that you're not feeling better. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out a solution. That sounds like a drag! Hang in there.
Well I posted earlier in the forum that I'd finally been diagnosed, and they told me I have fibromyalgia... They still can't really do anything for me anyways...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

I just got my levels tested yesterday.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #29  
Finding my wings...

I read that living in North America for nearly half the year there's really no possible way to get as much Vitamin D as we technically need to feel healthy, happy, and fit as we should. And even when there is enough available (late spring, summer, early fall), we have to be outside, arms and face bare, for at least 20 minutes a day WITHOUT sunscreen.

So far I've been taking my doctor prescribed supplements for the past month and I've got say I feel more than fabulous compared to what I used to. I feel like I've literally become about 4 years younger. My bones have stopped hurting, even my spine problems don't seem as bad (scoliosis), my nails have become hard again, and my skin problems seem to be going away. I don't think that it's a be all end all for my medical problems, but I think it definitely was a place to start to make me feel better!!

I'm just concerned with exactly how much I should take AFTER I finish my prescribed doses... I'll be darned if I have to go back and pay $60 again for another doc visit PLUS the $300 for the blood tests!! Anyone have any ideas on how much we should take a day??
Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #30  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I live in a sunny area (well, mostly) and I get out in the sun everyday. This is one reason I exercise out doors. I have two sisters with MS and supposedly lower Vit D levels increase your chances of being diagnosed.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote