Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #46  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Happy Valentines Day to you and yours . . .
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

HI LADIES ~ we had another lovely Sunny day, but it was cold and windy. I went out for a walk but couldn't go past our laneway as everything around here was solid ice; so I just walked up & down the laneway for about 15 minutes. I also took a few pics while I was out there; tried to get a chickadee who came to our tree and was singing gratefully, but I had to come in as the northern winds were just awful and my face was freezing (I didn't dress up warm enough as that sun is so misleading).

HI VAL ~ glad you are having a long weekend; yes, we know about RIEL and I studied him in our Canadian History in school and since then as well. I think DH & I saw a movie or documentary about him once too.

HI PURPLE ~ that lamb casserole hotpot sounds yummy; they had lamb on sale last week (about $8.00/lb or so), but this week they have nice Round Beef and lean center Pork on for about $2.00/lb so I think I'll pick some of that up; I think that dish would taste good with them too.

I had a nice, long talk with NUMPSTER today; she hasn't on been the net for awhile, as she was having some health issues and works very long hours. Their daughter is staying with them until the wedding in April and there is always lots of things that come up with four kids and both working full-time jobs.

THANKS, MEOWEE ~ Hope you had a nice VALENTINE'S DAY too!

HI TO RONNI and BEVERLYJOY ~ have a great weekend.

Well, we ended up doing a lot more today than we thought as our poor NIKO had the fox trots today and had a wee accident, so I had to wash all the floors and DH cleaned our bedroom rug this evening. Have the throw rugs all washed and hanging on our indoor rack to dry, and it's all fixed up now.

It's time to go put my legs up as we have been going all evening and my feet are starting to throb; take good care and have great weekend ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #48  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Good Afternoon Ladies

It has been a miserable grey day here and looks set in for the day. Finally caught up with my chores and back on schedule today. Did the ironing this morning which was piling up at a rate of knots due to me washing and not ironing. I thought if I do not tackle it soon it will be too much for me to do at once and secondly I will not have any clothes to wear . I have kept my wardrobe to a minimum with losing weight so as to keep the cost down. I may expand my wardrobe a little as it seems that I had stuck for a while or maybe this is where I am destined to be. Can't exercise like I could with the weather being so cold and I have to protect my face. So our daily walks together have been knocked on the head. So it is only the vibration machine when I feel up to it. Hopefully with the warmer weather round the corner maybe the plateau might be broken

Started writing a letter to DH Auntie last night who live in Cyprus. DH is no letter writer so I do this. I will add to the letter in a few days time so there will be more news to add to it.

This morning whilst ironing I watched the story of Torvil and Dean UK most famous ice dance partnership. It was 25 years (on the 14th of February 2009) that they got their legendary 12 perfect scores of 6.0 dancing to Bolero. I now live in the city that they learnt to skate in and not only that they worked here also. So it was nice to see them visiting all the sites that I knew and had been to myself.

Watched last night an old television series called Auf Wiedersehen, Pet from the 1980's gosh it brought back memories for me in was not long after this started I began I nursing career. I got two budgies for company and named them after two of the characters in this series. It is about a group of British workmen who go over to work in Germany in the building trade. There are moments of humour and part drama. It was a right trip down memory lane and I loved it

MEOWEE , RONNI, NUMPSTER, BEVERLYJOY & VALDINE have a lovely weekend and take the opportunity to have some rest.

ROSEBUD I have never made the hotpot with any other sort of meat other than lamb though I suspect it would work. I had made enough hotpot for another meal today so that is what we have had today which I just reheated in the microwave. So no slaving in the kitchen for hours today just over the ironing board

Sorry to hear that your sister NUMPSTER is not so well at the minute. I imagine everything she has on her plate at the minute is very difficult. Working long hours is one thing but then helping with your daughters wedding is stressful as well. I know how hard my sister works also with having four children to care for that in itself is a full time job. I do not know how she did it when the girls where really young as there is not much of an age gap between them.

Talking of sisters my sister is still suffering with her back and gave me a little light reading whilst I visited her on Friday to look over. There is a pages of documentation of all the visits to hospitals, chiropractors and lost of earnings due to an injury in here back. At the minute she is waiting on a discogram where they look at the discs in her back and it looks likely that they will require a metal rod etc. The documentation alone would fill a book. Really she wanted me to translate some of the medical terminology. I could oblige with some words from my limited knowledge of physical illnesses but as you know my expertise is mental health.

The lawyers against my sister where even trying to blame it on an operation she had when she was 15 on her bladder and kidneys. Rather than their client who was drunk driving. He was prosecuted by the police and was banned from driving for a year for being over the legal limit for alcohol and driving. Here in the UK the punishment does not fit the crime for drunk driving. You can kill some one and you will only get a short prison sentence. Though if the person is good in prison their prison sentence will be reduced for good behaviour. Time to get of my soapbox on this subject . I have always felt pasionate that the punishment should fit the crime. In this case it does not fit the crime it is like a tap on the wrist.

In a few weeks time I will be going to Sunday lunch with my sister so that should be fun and I am looking forward to it. The next two weekends I think I have been invited out for a meal so i am looking forward to both and the company. It is a while since we have done this with friends and family. The friends we are going to they cook healthy so that is a big bonus. Even more so I think since they have been selected to take part in a trial for the nations health of different people of different ages all around the country. I think they had a bit of a shock that their BMI is higher than they though. All the blood work etc is great so generally they are health. Though I think for my friend it might be a kick up the backside to stay on the straight and narrow. They are really good during the week but at the weekend when going on caravaning club they are very naughty undoing all their good work of the week.

Time to go now and put up my feet so take care till next time
purpleorc
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #49  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had beautiful sunshine here today but the temps were a bit colder @ -20C and with the northern winds, really about -30C. I just stayed in and tried to keep warm but Dh moseyed down the Winter Carnival this week and did get to see a few events before the cold got to him.

HI PURPLE ~ I just remembered that you asked me what TURKEY PEPPERETTES are? They are thin little semi-dried sausages that can be eaten as they are or sliced up for pizzas or omelettes; most people eat them for a snack. There a few different kinds: some are hotter than others; I prefer the regular, and turkey ones (which are only 50 calories each, so a for a 100 calorie snack, you can have two). When I was younger, we used to grab these for a quick snack or meal when we were running late; I decided to go back to that instead of other junk, and that's when I discovered that they now make the lower fat turkey version.

Yes, I remember watching that Torvil & Dean dance; I was much younger but indeed, I do remember them for sure. Good idea to watch this while doing your ironing: that will surely make it go by much faster. I know what you mean about the cold on the face; I just don't like it either.

I'm sorry to hear about how much your sister is suffering and still no solution from the insurance company; shame that takes so long. We have different rules here now; there is some type of scale they go by, I think. Plus our government has tightened up the laws for drunk drivers; if you are caught drinking and driving three times, you lose your driving privileges for life.

HI to MEOWEE, VAL, NUMPSTER, RONNI, and BEVERLYJOY ~ hope you ladies all had a great weekend!

We had a fireside pie for dinner tonight; tomorrow we are having roasted whole chicken with a variety of veggies. Today, I am just resting my legs and feet; time to put them up again and maybe do a few puzzles. Take good care ROSEBUD
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #50  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hello and a late Happy Valentine's Day to you all! We had a resting kind of weekend, but don't feel much better yet. DS3 has developed a fever and cough, so we'll be off to the doc later today. Just can't seem to shake off this virus and I think he's got another ear infection Trying to think of something easy for dinner since it'll have to be quick or something that can sit on the stove while we're at the doc. Maybe chili....

Val-hope that knee feels better and that you had a nice time at the wedding. I've had knee issues off and on since trying to ice skate in high school. Never did have good balance-should have known better than to try to get on ice with tiny narrow blades on my feet! You'll have to share about your roots sometime (or maybe you have somewhere else already)-it sounds fascinating. One of my great, great grandmothers was Native American, but no one kept family histories in that part of the family, so I don't know anything about her life.

Rosebud-sure hope NIKO is feeling better. Poor thing-dogs always feel guilty about causing messes, but they can't tell us ahead of time when they're feeling sick.

Purple-I'm sorry about your sister's issues. It makes me so mad when people and insurance companies won't make right on an injury. We're going through a similar thing and have had to file a lawsuit against the driver who ran a stop and hit us 3 years ago. DS3 has back and leg pain and is in physical therapy and I have had whiplash headaches for most of the 3 years since the incident (I refuse to call it an accident, because the other driver was negligent and was cited at the time.). What is the most upsetting is that our DS3 is only 12 and wants to play football and run, but has been restricted from almost all sports due to the injury and pain. He feels so left out and it just brings tears to my eyes thinking about how this could have been avoided if the other driver had just stopped and looked. And, it makes me very angry that the insurance company doesn't think he deserves some kind of compensation for affecting his life this way. Over here, each state has different ways of dealing with drunk drivers and any type of traffic deaths. When a tractor-trailer hit and killed my grandparents in Indiana 16 years ago (he failed to slow down for a 4-way stop and their car was in front of him), the law said he could not be held liable for a "work-related death" and was given no punishment at all. His company paid for the funeral after we had to take them to court, but didn't even have to reimburse the estate for the car. We were shocked that the driver didn't even get a fine and continued his job as a professional driver. So, I get really irritated by bad drivers, insurance companies, and laws that don't help protect the victims. We could share aon this issue! Hope you got all that ironing done-my pile is growing as I write!

Hi to Meowee, Beverlyjoy, and Numpster, too! Hope you've all had a great weekend and are looking forward to a good week!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #51  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #52  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had another sunny day today; boy, have we been blessed lately and the temps were a bit milder too. I spent some time doing my books (bills and such) and our income tax (so glad to get that out of the way) today.

DH went up town to mail them and pick up a couple of things but the only thing open was the post office and one restaurant; everything else was closed. They told him that it was a civic holiday, but nobody seemed to know what for, and it's not marked on our Canadian Calendar either ... tres weird!!!

Anyways, just did stuff around the house today; we had a lovely big roasted chicken with lots of roasted veggies and it was so yummy ... you could smell it all over the house. I also did some letter writing myself today and a couple of puzzles this afternoon while resting my legs a bit.

HI MEOWEE ~ how's the weather down that way? We're pretty mild today, for February.

VAL ~ we sure hope that your knee is feeling better; don't overdo it on the elliptical there, slow and steady is better. Did you have fun at the friend's wedding?

HI RONNI ~ sorry to hear that sad story about your grandparents; your family sure has had more than it's share of troubles from car accidents. We have some kind of NO-FAULT insurance here where certain things must be paid for by scale, but I'm not really sure how it all works in those kinds of situations.

Will send up some prayers for that nasty flu in your house. These ladies here once told me to open up the windows to let in the fresh air!It may work ... Hope your DS3 is feeling better soon; there are many flus going around these days, and they are what is called 'hangoners', meaning they stay around much longer than we want them to.

NIKO was acting a bit odd, in that he kept running back and forth from the door to DH who was in the bedroom; but DH was so engrossed in a movie, he didn't notice it. I had asked DH what was wrong with him, but he didn't repond and well, you know the rest of the story ...

OH well, I had wanted to clean that carpet anyways, and the floors have to be done so, it worked out in the end, but we don't usually do it all in one evening; we usually spread it out over a few days.

HI to PURPLE, and NUMPSTER, and BEVERLYJOY!!!

Well, not much else to report here; hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY! Take good care ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-16-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #53  
wishin' for sun!

Hi to you all! Not much to say today. DS3 has developed bronchitis and ear infection, so he's on meds for 10 days. We're expecting more snow tomorrow, but I guess it'll cover up the dirty stuff we still have! DH came home from work irritable yesterday, so that pretty much set the tone for the evening and I made a couple poor choices in my eating and ended up over 2000 cals for the day (bad, bad, bad), but back OP today. Really, really want to be under 190 by Easter! I'm needing new clothes, but hate to buy now when I could be smaller in a few weeks

Hope you wonderful ladies have a great day!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #54  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Gee, Winter is really getting me down this year. Actually it's sunny today but instead of feeling good about that all I seem to do is think about the next blizzard that's forecast for Thursday.

Oh phooey . . . plus a good rousing Bah Humbug as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #55  
wishin' for sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hi gang . . .

Gee, Winter is really getting me down this year. Actually it's sunny today but instead of feeling good about that all I seem to do is think about the next blizzard that's forecast for Thursday.

Oh phooey . . . plus a good rousing Bah Humbug as well.
I feel your pain, Meowee! I've spent my free time the last few days looking through old magazines finding ideas for gardens and fixing up the house just in case spring actually gets here! Surely it will-maybe around June?

Here's a little spring for you!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #56  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, no sunshine today: we had nice big fat snowflakes instead, but the temps were really mild hovering around the 0c mark most of the day. We kept busy indoors today sorting out more boxes of kitchen stuff we found hiding out of sight. We managed to go thru 3 boxes, and one large one is on its way to the Goodwill tomorrow. I'm just keeping the stuff given to me by family and friends that have passed (like my Mom and my Grammies, etc) mostly.

We also set up the backup PC for DH on a desk in the spare room so he can play some games, as this winter is drawing out for him (and some other folks here too, I see ). We got quite a bit accomplished today, but my feet always feel that so I had to put them up while dinner was on and after dinner as well.

We just had leftover chicken and veggies (just baked them in a casserole dish); and I baked a rice/risotto type of dish in a casserole at the same time to let the oven do all the cooking. I'm getting quite a good list of baked dishes as at my age, I am tired of slaving over a hot stove.

PURPLE (and anyone else who likes lamb) ~ Here's a Curried Lamb dish you might like to try that was in our local paper this week ...

* CURRIED LAMB *

500 ml or 2 cups lamb, cut in chunks
25 ml or 2 tbl oil for browning (I use olive)
15 ml or 1 tbl curry powder
5 ml or 1 tsp minced ginger
1 onion, chopped
1 tart green apple, peeled and minced
250 ml or 1 cup chicken broth or what you have on hand
25 ml or 2 tbl Tomato PASTE
25 ml or 2 tbl light cream
salt, pepper, and minced parsley for seasoning

Heat oil and saute onion with the curry powder; then add the lamb and brown for a few minutes; stir in broth with everything except cream and parsley. Cover and simmer for 1 hour; add cream and heat through just before serving. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice. You may also add some diced or thinly sliced carrots to this dish as well and cook with the lamb; and I bet green beans would be nice too.

RONNI ~ forget about those slip-ups; we all have those days. The key is to start over each day and things will work out in the long-haul. I am the same as you: if my DH gets in a snit (which thankfully isn't that often), I tend to take it too personally. I am learning through practice to turn my attention somewhere else than food: like coming on here, for instance.

HIYA MEOWEE ~ you're not the only one that is sick of all this snow! The Snow Fairies were out today with their giant snowblower and trucks hauling the white stuff from the roadsides away to the snowdumps. If they don't do this, and it's start melting again, we get road floods! I took some pics of the snow in our front yard; pretty soon we won't be able to see the place across the road!

HI to VAL, and NUMPSTER, and BEVERLYJOY ... hope you ladies have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!!

Take good care ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-17-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #57  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Good morning woke up to rain this morning so it looks like I need to take my umbrella when I go shopping today to do the grocery shopping. I have been missing in action the past few days as any spare time I am trying to knit a scarf for myself. I have got lots of wool from knitting projects from donkeys years ago so using it up. I am making a double thickness scarf to protect my face for the winter so there are quite a few stitches involved for making a scarf. I am making it in 3 colours light pink, purple and black stripes. No fancy stitches involved only Stockinette stitch (in the UK, Stocking Stitch) (this is created by knitting every stitch) as I though I would keep it as simple as possible for this project.

Going to do my weekly grocery shopping today but before then I am meeting my BIL for lunch looking forward to that meeting with my BIL to catch up. Last week he was an examiner in advanced packing of parachutes. He is quite high up in the parachuting world so it an examiner and also part of investigation teams when there are fatalities from this sport. He also takes people to do tandem jump not that I am jumping out of any plane anytime soon I am not that brave to do something like that but my BIL it is a big part of his life.

Thanks for the recipe Rosebud for lamb curry. I am going to be adventurous this weekend and have my first curry in months. So fingers that I am OK with my tummy. I am really looking forward to the curry but I am a little fearful that it will set my tummy off if it is not properly healed. Though I need to tested some time. It has been so long since I have had anything spicy. I love spicier type food so if my tummy is better it will open a whole new world up to me that has been closed to me for so long.

Time to run as I am just about to go out once I am completely ready I need to do my hair and do my makeup then good to go. So till next time bye bye

purpleorc
Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi chicks! I've been MIA - I pulled a muscle in my back and it hurts to sit at the computer. I stopped my to say hi and let you know that I've been thinking of you.

Man my pieces and parts are aching. Ice and heat helps. I have a hard time not overeating when I feel pain. I will use ice and heat to help.

I need to work tomorrow and Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #59  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we woke up to snow this morning, but the weather forcast said it was mild, so we decided to go shopping. Yikes, was it yucky out there; wet snow with cold northern winds, but once we were out there we decided to get it done. I managed to get some walking in from the day anyways, and picked up some good deals. I found some frozen dinners for only .99c and they are about 200-300 calories each: good for a quick lunch so I don't have to have sandwiches so often. Sometimes, if I have leftovers, I'll put a bowl of that away for the next day as well.

HI PURPLE ~ we've had a couple of busy days too. Did you get to your treatment on Tuesday? Hope the shopping went well today. Hope the LAMB CURRY turns out OK; maybe you could put a bit less of the curry powder, say only 1 tsp instead of 1 tbl; or 5ml instead of 15 ml, so it won't be too spicey.

HI BEVERLEYJOY ~ nice to see you drop by; hope your back and whole body is feeling better soon. I know what you mean about that; esp all this cold weather. I find the dampness hard on my muscles too; and the winds seem to go right thru ya ...

MEOWEE ~ talking about storms; it's been snowing all day and they are predicting much of the same for the entire week. I can hear the winds howling through our furnace chimney as I'm typing right now ... so eerie!

HI TO VAL, and RONNI, and NUMPSTER ... hope you all have a TRANQUIL THURSDAY!!!

Did some laundry this afternoon and put away some more stuff; now I'm sore and tired. Time to rest up with my evening tea. Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #60  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

my first day back at work on Tuesday i locked myself out of my office. had to climb in a window to get back in AND dropped by $700 blackberry phone in the toilet!!!!

the wedding was great Rosebud! - best valentines day ever.. being at a wedding was suprisingly refreshing on commercial love day and didnt make me feel bad about being single whatsoever. truely. it turned into a fun girls night.

anywhoo. my phone works again! i took it apart and dried it on a heater vent over night AND IT WORKS!!!!!

gotta run! take care all,
Closed Thread