Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Insulin resistant question...I NEED help!!!!

I'm a newbie on this site...and someone on another thread pointed me to this one. I'm in my early 60's and have been trying to lose weight for several years without alot of success!! I'm also insulin resistant, hypo-thyroid and quite frustrated besides.
I've done the gamut of "diets"...I now call them food plans. I've done Sugar Busters, Suzanne Somers, WW, South Beach and lately a low-fat plan through my gym. All have the same results...lose a few (up to 25 lbs or so) then plateau. The lbs, while losing will yo-yo and it takes quite a long time to get them off. I also feel I do moderate exercise with my gym so have that in my plan as well.
My question is, are there any others out there who can relate to this AND who can give me some pointers?? I've recently read that low-carb probably is the way I should go (so get off that low-fat deal asap!) but once I begin the losing again, how do I get past the plateau and start gaining some success. My endocronologist says that while it's not impossible, it "WILL BE" difficult to lose the weight due to my issues. I don't want to deal with full-fledged diabetes so really am motivated!!! I would welcome all advice and support! HELP!!!!
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/245/220

Height: 5'6"

Red face I'm no expert, but...

My doctor has suggested the Glycemic Index approach for my insulin resistance. It's not low-carb, but instead focuses on the quality of the carbs and their affect on your blood sugar, (e.g., cutting out white processed flour, but not cutting out fruit). I've only been trying it for a few days, so I can't vouch for it, but it's somthing to look into.

My sister is also insulin resistant and her dieting experiences sound very much like yours. She is now taking Metformin and seeing steady and increasingly-postive results for the first time in her life! She used to put so much effort into dieting and treadmilling and was so frustrated at seeing only small changes before plateauing. On Metformin, she is finding that her body responds to diet and excercise in a normal way - by burning fat!

I started on Metformin three days ago, so its too soon to tell if I'll have my sister's success, but it might be something to ask your doctor about.

Best of luck to you!
gr8expectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #3  

I was put on Metformin about a year ago to "jump start" my metabolism. The dr. also prescribed a weight loss medication. Two weeks out with these I began to have a weird reaction...heart palpitations, clammy feeling and just weird feelings. Doc told me to stop the weight loss medication, which I did. Three days later I went to Urgent Care as I still wasn't feeling normal...that doctor told me to stop the Metformin. I'm seeing an endocronologist now and when I told her about this..she said that the side effects (if any) are more gastrointestinal for Metformin. She hasn't put me on it, yet, but I am wondering now if it might not be something to do. If I can lose the weight and get my numbers down to a more normal area, I'd bet I could cease medications. The weight loss thing is my biggest obstacle now it seems

Question for you...a glycemic index diet...would that be similar to South Beach??? I'm not familiar with glycemic index diets. I do know though that the "sugars" we ingest really can affect our insulin levels etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/220

Default Glycemic Index

Hi

I haven't posted 10 times yet, so I can't Private Message you. But here's my response to your question:

I'm not very familiar with the South Beach diet. But I'll tell you about the Glycemic Index approach and you can decide if they are similar.

Essentially, foods that overload your system with carbs and cause a blood sugar spike and a drastic insulin response need to be avoided. That means no high fructose corn syrup, no sugary foods, no potatos or super-starchy foods like white rice, and no processed white flour like in many kinds of bread.

I don't have to avoid all carbs though. I can eat brown basmati or wild rice, most kinds of al dente pasta, some kinds of bread, and plenty of fruits. The carbs in these release slower and cause a more moderated blood sugar and insulin response. At first I thought the GI diet was really tricky to follow, but once I used the book to divide foods into "good" and "bad" categories, it's gotten easier.

The combination of Metformin and the Glycemic Index diet is turning out to be the golden ticket for my sister, and I'm hoping for similar results. Time will tell.

I hope this helps!
gr8expectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #5  

Well the South Beach plan seems to so far be working for me. I'm on Day #4 of Phase 2. Got weighed about 1/3's through Phase 1 and had lost 6lbs!! I was previously on a lo-fat plan, which wasnt' working well. If you want more info about S.B. you can google it or wait until you post 10X and e-mail me privately!
I don't see my endocronologist until May so won't know how my numbers are fare-ing til then. If my blood sugar has reduced since the last time I won't have to go on Metformin. Thanks for the replies!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm reading this book now, http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Women-S.../dp/0553379453
I have PCOS, IR, and a pituitary adenoma. I have so much trouble losing weight. From what I have been reading strength training is the way to go. I am on SBD I walk everyday and I am about to start strength training. It is something to look into.
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Southbeach totally worked for me. I dont follow it religiously anymore because I am no longer insulin resistant. I can lose weight on more food AND I am satisfied with less food.

GI and southbeach are similar in principle.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185

Height: 5'4''

Dear Frustratedieter
I can sooo relate to your frustration. I had one plateau that lasted 2 years and now i'm on one that 's been going on for months.

What is Metformin? My doctor, after hearing my rant about all the things i've tried for the past months and months, could only suggest a med that is not the answer!

I don't have any answers for you or myself, but i can totally understand what you are going through. Chin up......we're in this together.

Laura
LauraNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185

Height: 5'4''

I have this question about insulin resistance........

I've read if you can lose some weight, it helps deal with insulin resistance......but if you have insulin resistance, it's extremely hard to lose weight to help with the insulin resistance. It's a viscious cycle. How do you get out of that cycle. Do you think glycemic index/low carb is the only way. I hardly eat any bread or pasta or high glycemic foods and i still can't budge anything.

Thx, Laura
LauraNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think for insulin resistance, "success" has to be substantially redefined (as it probably should be for "regular" folks too, but it's more important when you've got IR).

A plateau (maintaining a stable weight) is major success. It's not a reason to give up, which will just end with you having to start "over". But when that dreaded plateau occurs (or you might find that it is so difficult even to lose one pound that you can't really call that space between pounds as a plateau) you have to just keep tweaking. Finding ways to exercise more, and tweaking your food plan more.

I don't know if low glycemic and low carb plans are the only plans that work with IR, just that my doctor said they patients with IR tend to have more success with them.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote