Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 11:32 PM   #1  

Default Diabetes success story

Hi Everyone:
Rreading your messages made me realize that I could not sit here and continue to be selfish. I feel so fortunate and thankful. I have been a type I diabetic for 21 years. When I was 23 I had a stroke. I am now 34. I was partially paralyzed for 7 years on my left side. A friend told me about some new research that had just been published in medical journals. My Drs approved it and after 7 months of use, I slowly started to get the use of my body back. I have fully recovered and no one would ever know the trial I conquered. I have also been on the cornea transplant list, but was recently taken off because my left eye has healed. This is the greatest blessing and if I can help others with my story, I will. I am working on shedding a few inches and I use the low glycemic food system to do this. I feel that it works with my diabetes, not against it. I am on a pump and my sugar levels continue to improve with little effort on my part. I hope I can help others with this information and I am happy to answer questions and make others aware of what things are available. Lets stick together and find health and happiness along the way.

Lots of laughter
happily on our way!
Laura
Old 03-06-2002, 08:53 AM   #2  

Default diabetes and me

I read your trials and triumphs concerning type 1 diabetes. Next week, I am going to the MD for a diabetes test and I am scared. A freind of mine tested my fasting sugar with her glucometer and it tested out at 127. I have been eating very little sugar for the past 10 weeks and low carbs so the reading was a shocker. My mother is a type II diabetic and having read all the books to help her control it makes me so scared to be one also. All I can do is keep the faith, and eat as well as I know how and realize that this is a disease brought on by myself. I think that is adding to the shame of it, that i could have prevented it and did not. I gained so much weight this past two years that I know that contributed to the process.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:42 PM   #3  

Congrats! I'm happy for you... what was the program that you were on?

Will
Old 04-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #4  

Question Healthy Option

I would very much like to know more about the glycemic index. Where can I get more information? I am a type II diabetic and am on insulin, glucaphage and avandia currently. I crave carbs intensly and when I do eat them, I crave even more. Therefore, I am in a vicious cycle.
Thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 05:15 PM   #5  

Lightbulb Some ideas

Hi! I found this....it might be helpful.

The glycemic response of a food is a measure of the food's ability to elevate blood sugar. The glycemic response is influenced by the amount of food you eat, its fiber content, fat content or amount of added fat, and the way the food is prepared.

Highly glycemic carbohydrates are best consumed during and after exercise (see "Improve Endurance with A ‘Sweet Reward’ After Your Workout"). They enter the bloodstream quickly and are readily available for fueling exercising muscles.

Low glycemic carbohydrates enter the bloodstream slowly and are best eaten before exercise. They provide sustained longer-term energy, and help maintain stable blood sugar levels during extended exercise periods (greater than one hour).

Highly Glycemic Foods
Glucose 100
Baked Potato 85
Corn Flakes 84
Cheerios 74
Graham Crackers 74
Honey 73
Watermelon 72
White Bread/Bagel 70-72
Raisins 64

Moderately Glycemic Foods

Orange Juice 57
White Rice 56
Popcorn 55
Corn 55
Sweet Potato 54
(Ripe) Banana 50
Orange 43

Low Glycemic Foods
Brown Rice 55
Apple 36
Pear 36
Skim Milk 32
Green Beans 30
Lentils 29
Kidney Beans 27
Grapefruit 25
Barley 25
Apple Juice 41

You can probably ask your diabetes physician to let you know of some books that list more foods and can explain the GI diet. I don't currently follow it, myself. I'm on Weight Watchers, however we have diabetics in our family and with my weight, I'm at high risk, so I keep an eye on the index of most foods.

Good luck! Hope this is helpful!

Debbie
Closed Thread