Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ February's Monthly Thread #006

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition(s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY FEBRUARY EVERYONE

Attachment 28353 Attachment 28354

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #2  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Rosebud I like your photos on the Jan thread! So you got part of that winter storm too eh? It has been BRUTAL since Monday up here. We're talking -55 at night and -45 during the day (with the wind chill of course - but trust me it really did feel that cold)

Are you getting a lot of snow today? I think I heard Toronto shut down today. is the rest of southern ON closed too?

Only two months till April! I keep telling myself that this cold will pass and soon enough I'll be walking outside without snow. all in time.

thanks for starting the new thread Rosebud. Purple I hope you are still up and kicking And hi to the newbies who joined us last month! Come back and post when you get a chance

Last edited by valpal23; 02-01-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Rosebud, Val, and everyone! Not having a great day today, but I wanted to get in early on the February thread.

It's a beautiful day in the South and I can't imagine it being soooooo cold where you guys are!

I hope you all have a great day and I'll check in later. =0)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies,

Back to some form of normality instead of about 10 hour days either going to see dad in hospital or going to my oxygen therapy. I must say it has taken its toll on me and I am extremely tired but I really expected that. So the next few days are playing catch up on some much needed sleep and rest.

I have just read through all the posts that I have missed in the last week or so. Thanks to all have posted and especially to Rosebud who has been very busy.

Loved the photographs Rosebud of your back garden with all the snow. I have never seen so much snow in real life as you know we are not renowned for our snowfall, rain yes but snow no. They were beautiful, see you are getting plenty of pictures with your Christmas present. They are great these digital cameras you can take so many pictures and delete your disasters where you cut of peoples heads etc

Dad is now out of hospital as you may have gathered he is now back at home. He is doing very well considering his other health issues of being on blood thinners and is diabetic. The only big downside to the hospital was the food was not very nice on the whole, so he was glad to come out and ate well on his first day out of hospital at my house. Think home cooking with more familiar food saw him tucking in nicely. He has the district nurse coming in daily to dress his wounds, but what I have seen of the site where they have taken the skin graft from it is healing slowly but OK. I know that due to his diabetes he will heal slower than others.

I have now done my block of 15 dives in the oxygen tank I am now trying to do 2 sessions per week to see how I fair then maybe drop to 1 in a few weeks. At present I am going to do the deepest dive at 33ft but if that is not suiting me as much as I think then I will drop to 24ft. I do not think I have had the full benefit as I have been having such long tiring days. One thing I have notice that I am now taking less pain killers in between my normal doses that I have so that is a positive that I am pleased about.

Thanks so much for all the well wishes and prays they meant a great deal especially on the day of the operation which is always worrying for anyone who goes under the surgeons knife. Though he sailed through it with no problems the only little problem he had one night his blood sugar dropped very low but apart from that he did extremely well. The low blood sugar could have happened wether he was in hospital or not it is just part and parcel of diabetes.

On the healthy eating front managed to stay pretty much on plan with a few exceptions when things were just how they had to be with very little food choices if were eating out. So on the scales this morning it shows I have not lost or not gained which is a real positive under the circumstances. So now I am getting back in the swing of things again.
Night night ladies and will drop by again soon.

Last edited by purpleorc; 02-01-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:37 AM   #5  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ Well, guess who laid down after dinner (have a stomach flu with the fox trots); fell asleep and didn't wake up 'til the middle of the night? Huh-huh; me. That's why I am posting now; becuz I had planned to come on earlier ~ lol! Oh well ...

We had lovely sunshine today; they weren't expecting that, but I am so glad becuz the sunshine makes the cold temps not seem so bad. Dh worked on our car; changing a few small parts, so he was gone to a garage all day. Had a good OP day; had steak, salad, and lots of veggies for dinner.

Just did weights, arm aerobics, and indoor walking today; plus some housework and such, but that's better than nothing.

PURPLE ~ yes, I am having a lot of fun with that digital camera; can't wait 'til summer, will be able to get some of the lakes and flowers. Yah, I delete the ones that don't turn out so well; handy feature! I am so glad to hear your Dad's surgery went well, and that he is out of the hospital and doing so well; will pray about the healing process for him.

CRBOWLES ~ nice to have you drop by; maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you. I like to go by the one-day-at-a-time adage; that way, if one day is muffed, the rest of the week can make up for it. It helped me a lot for dealing with pain issues; becuz one can imagine getting thru one day; one hour; one minute, even one second, if needs be ...

VAL ~ We didn't get snow today, but I heard the south did; probably the storm we had that came from the Artic reached them today. My Dad and BIL both said that our day temps are the same and when get snow, so do they. The weather is much more similar now, than in the past for our province. Boy, those temps you have are very low; bundle up and cover all skin ~ lol. I remember getting back frostbite on my hands and thighs when I was a child; can't forget that kind of sting; kinda stays with ya ...

Well, that's all for now; so nice to hear from you all, and have a great weekend. Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Well we had a sprinkling of snow this morning to wake up to looked as though someone had gone along with icing sugar (confectioners sugar well I think that is what it is called). The snow has all gone now with the sun coming out but it remains a cold day.

We are going out for lunch tonight at friends who will also have other guests coming. One is a lady who I have met several times who has MS like myself. Although she is having a rough time of it at the minute and is in the throes of an attack and is on steroids at the moment to help this.

ROSEBUD:~ Sorry to hear that you have a jippy tummy at the minute it is certainly not much fun. Hope the sleep you had has helped some what. I say sleep is natures way of healing and can often do you the power of good.

Good for you keeping up your exercise regime despite your snow fall which makes outdoor exercising difficult to say the least. I am slowly getting back into walking again after a short break from it when I was just too tired to manage it. I have started with a short walk to break myself in gently and will stay with that until that feels comfortable before walking further.

CRBOWLES:~ Sorry your having a rough time of it, try hanging in there as there is light at the end of the tunnel though I know it does not seem it on your bad days. Glad you dropped by to post. Gosh February all really it does not seem possible the monthes sure do fly by quickly. It seems unbelievable that next month will be my one year anniversary since I embarked on healthy eating.

VALPAL:~ Yep living and kicking and finally having less to pack into one day which is making it better for me. Just need to recover and recharge the batteries. Sound like your having heaps of snow along with Rosebud. Take care on the snow. Hope your knee is fairing OK in this winter weather as I read in one of your posts that it was again giving you problems. I have noticed you are still doing very well on your healthy eating keep up the good work.

Time for me to go and make a cuppa my throat is so dry darn medication does that for me but i put up with the side effects as they take away the pain. Bye bye ladies take care

Last edited by purpleorc; 02-02-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ We've had more sunshine this weekend; all day yesterday so I went out SKI-WALKING and to take some more pictures. The kiddies next door wanted me to take some of them, so I did. We had sun again this morning, but the clouds rolled in this aft and brought a wee sprinkle of snow with them; not much though.

Had a quiet day; but had a long nap (the whole lot of us). We are trying to get over all these colds and flus; and like PURPLE says, sleep is a great healer. Made a nice Turkey-Veggie Stew for dinner; yummy and healthy (it's more like a very thick soup)! Got some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

PURPLE ~ WOW, you finally had some snow; yah, sometimes we get that funny stuff that looks like icing sugar too (almost looks fake). But the rest of the stuff we get is big flakes and very heavy, esp the last big drop we got. Your one-year anniversary is soon; and you are almost at the 100 lb mark, which is quite an accomplishment too.

HI VAL and MO (if your're lurking); take good care and hope you have a great week coming up, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

Well no more snow maybe that is a annual snowfall for this year Not that I am complaining as snow really does bring our country to a swift halt as we do not have the resources to keep major roads clear. Today is brilliant sunshine be nice for a little walk in a bit. Yesterday was really black with cloud it threaded rain all day but none came.

Going to the oxygen tank at 4pm today for my therapy I am ready for it as I feel tired and I have pins and needles in my toes. One thing the oxygen therapy does do for for is take that away and for the need of extra pain killers which is nice.

ROSEBUD :~ Yes my year is looming up very quickly but the past month I think I have stalled but I am hoping the plateau decides to hurry up and stop but I must be patient with nature and let it do its own thing.

Ski walking seems an extremely good way of exercising. Must work those thigh muscles and calf to say the least. I bet it burns a few calories up. Of course I have never done that as you know that we do not have the snow to do it. Although it is nice to hear of different forms of exercise even if they are not possible for me.

Today I have got chicken and steamed vegetables for dinner. It is already made it is just to heat up in the microwave so easy day in the kitchen for me which I am grateful for as I was up and down to the loo all night. I had drank more yesterday so that was the result. Though I thought that I must try something as I was constipated. So upping the fluid intake now normally sorts the issue out.

Right must go and take my breakfast medication as it is getting a wee bit late now. Catch up with you all soon take care ladies
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #9  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ladies

Purple[/COLOR] It is such an accomplishment to be near your 1 year and 100 pounds! You've been so strong to hold true to the course this far. Way to go It is good to hear the oxygen tank has such immediate benefits for you.

Rosebud I'm at 3fc nearly daily.... but I'm naturally a lurker I'm a people watcher.. so I guess that makes me a forum lurker. lol So this ski walking -- did you use cross country ski's? Do you have a groomed trail near your house or is the snow not too deep? I used to cross country ski when I was younger. It's great exercise.

crbowles Sorry - I dont remember.. how far south are you exactly? So what does winter look like for you these days? I lived on the west coast for a couple years -- and winter = rain.. never anything literally freezing.

I am well. I found out my disease modifying drug was reformulated so that I experience fewer injection site reactions - tomorrow will be the day I pick up the new formula so I'm excited to try it out and see if there is improvement I had been using all of my available injection sites but I'm having some long lasting reactions/welts that force me to rotate between fewer and fewer sites.

I'm headed to bed. have a good one all :Wave:
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #10  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a busy & tiring day today; went shopping in town and walked and walked and walked. So my feet are throbbing tonight.

VAL ~ I was just teasing you gals about the lurking; I do it a lot myself ~ lol! Yes, I bought two pairs of second-hand SKI POLES (but they look like new; not likely used much) for only $1.00 a pair at a second-hand place here. You don't need any skiis; you just wear a really good pair of boots with good treds (so you don't slip).

I have paths and a very large parking lot that is cleared (most of the time) for me to walk in; and along the side of the road if I want to. I also used to do cross-country skiing in college and afterwards when I was slimmer and in better shape.

In Europe they do this year round and call it NORDIC WALKING and HIKING in summer and SKI-WALKING in the winter. The SKI POLES give you balance and actually help you walk in difficult terrain much better (like snow, sand, hills, paths and so on). It also gives you a workout in your arms and upper torso as well (whole body). It's actually very easy; that's why I love it so much (even someone like me can do it).

NOTE: Just at the beginning watch not to overdo it, or you may end up sore the next day, as I did. Start slow; for about 20-30 minutes and work your way up. You weigh less than me and are taller; and are probably in much better shape overall, so you may not have my problem with that.

BTW, I hope your new medication works out well for you too; and I like this new picture of yourself. Very pretty, and we can see your face better with a lovely smile (I think I can even see some dimples there too ~ lol).

PURPLE ~ As I mentioned to VAL, the Nordic countries in Europe use SKI POLES with hiking shoes or boots and go walking year round. You can do it there too; for now you can just walk, but later on, you might find that the poles help your balance and stamina. It would be well worth a try; I know that it helps me tremendously.

Well, I'm off to bed; wiped-out tonight, so take good care ~ your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-04-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

Going to the market today to the book stall have not been there since before Christmas due to not having the time and the last weeks of December were mayhem in the city for parking so for us we said no to going in. Due to the length of time I have a carrier bag full of books even DH has a few he has read due to me being at the tank. Though now he does not seem to get much read he spends his time talking with others in there whilst waiting for me. He even got roped into counted money out of a huge vessel which was clear whose use was really for growing plants inside. They still had not finished counting it when I had come out of the tank which takes 90 minutes or so. There were four of them counting the coins but they were mostly of the lower denominations of our currency.

VALPAL :~ Thanks for the well wishes regarding my health eating anniversary. I have been luckier than most people as I have a DH who is embarking on the same journey so we are encouragement for each other and keep each other from straying to far from the healthy path

Yes I am glad that I embarked on the oxygen therapy plus it is a time to meet other MSers so you don't feel so isolated which is often you feel. The only other time I had to speak to fellow MSers is waiting at the MS clinic to be seen by the doctor. I only go once a year and that has now been extended to 18 months so very infrequently really.

Will be interested if the revised formula for your disease modifying drug is after you have used it a little. Lets hope it is improved and less reaction to the injection site.

ROSEBUD :~ If things on the walking front need more assistance will look into the ski poles you talk off. As for the boots may look for some fake fur lined ones as my feet are now so often cold like blocks of ice. The only trouble is they must be extremely lightweight. I have a pair of trainers which look like shoes and oh boy I can only walk a very short distance as I tire so quickly in them due to the weight being heavier than my shoes.

Right must get myself into action if I am going to the market. I still have a bit to do before I am anywhere near ready but I wanted to come on this morning and put a post before I left. Bye all

Last edited by purpleorc; 02-05-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ we had snow on and off today; the snowflake kind and a wee bit of sunshine around noon, but not for long. I'll take whatever I can get in the winter ~ lol! Just did stuff around the house today and took a nice, long nap this aft.

I did a lot of walking yesterday and that made my feet and legs sore, so I needed a good rest today. Tomorrow may be sunny, so I might be able to go SKI-WALKING again; I prefer to go outside anyways. I do march around in the house a bit on the days that it aren't so nice out there.

Well, not much to report today; PURPLE glad things are well with you; hope you had a nice trip today and got lots of books to read. HELLO TO VAL ~ take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well Val, it's 70 degrees in the South and a HUGE storm is coming. There is already a tornado watch and wind advisory. I get we're in for a bumpy ride. At least we haven't had a cold winter. Then again, we never do.

At least my poor DS went back to school. He has severe strep and some tummy trouble. He has to have an Upper GI in the morning, so we'll see how that goes. Bless his sweet little heart, he's only 8 and he's scared.

Purple, Val, and Rose, I hope things are going well with you all!!

Have a wonderful day and I will check in later!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #14  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

Good Afternoon today we are lucky it has been quite warm as it is sun-shining and has been since morning. I bet we get a frost though tonight.

We went to the book shop in the market were I exchange my books came back with about 10 but took back about 20. Especially now I am using the oxygen tank I am reading even more. Due to the only thing you can do whilst on the oxygen is read or do crossword puzzle etc. This is as you can not speak with the masks on as they are think and noisy. So I get a hours solid reading let alone my normal reading that I do.

I am watching a programme on television called medicine men go wild. They are going to remote parts of the world and looking at medicine used by other people rather than the modern western medicine. Last week it was pain and they found out that the mind is a powerful tool if trained and you can endure great pain by meditating. This week it is looking at a remote tribe of people in Russia who have very few heart attacks and they have a diet consisting mainly of fish, fat and a small amount of processed food. They have taken their cholesterol level and it is extremely low and have the fitness expected of a Olympic athlete, I have not finished watching the programme yet so do not know the outcome of the experiment the two identical brothers were doing so see if their diet plays a big part in low cholesterol.

ROSEBUD :~ The trouble is will exercise it is fine balance for us not to overdo it and pay dearly the next day or so with aches and pains. I agree with you that exercise outdoors is better than indoors if the weather is kind enough to us.

CRBOWLES :~ I hope that you and your family are OK with the tornado and wind watch. I am so luck that in England we do not have such worries and sometime I do not realise how lucky I am. Floods seem to be our biggest weather threat due to the amount of rainfall that we get at times. Although I am fortunate that I live on higher ground so that threat is minimal

I hope that your DS is feeling better it is hard when your children are unwell. Do you have any other children? I do not have any myself although I think my sister had my share (4 nieces)

All the news I have for today, going to have a rest before I go out tonight to play cards. Hello to MO and VAL Take care ladies catch up with all again soon

Last edited by purpleorc; 02-06-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #15  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ well the temps have fallen drastically, but we have that lovely sunshine back; tomorrow they expect -30C's plus the wind so that will be frosty chilly for sure. I just did a lot of housework today and tonight I just finished darning DH's wool socks while reading your posts.

PURPLE ~ glad that you can find so many good books to read at once; I have a hard time at my library, but I do like to read the magazines. Yah we have to find a balance while exercising, but I'm glad I can do some walking. Sometimes, I walk and forget how long I have been doing it (esp while shopping); then end up very sore for the next couple of days.

CRBOWLES ~ NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN; will pray for safety for all you folks down there; and for your son that he won't be too nervous tomorrow and that all goes well for him.

HELLO TO VAL AND MO ~ take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Closed Thread