Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335 / Ticker / 180

Height: 5'7"

Default Just Diagnosed Hypothyroid...

Hello all.. I'm fairly new to these boards and just started a "lose this weight once and for all" diet on Jan. 2nd. I've lost almost 13 lbs. so far so I've been pretty pumped and excited.

I joined a weight-loss clinic run by actual doctors, who took my blood as a preliminary to the diet plan, to look for anything abnormal. My triglycerides were a little elevated, but that should correct itself as I've eliminated a lot of fat from my diet. My TSH level was 6.01. The clinic sent a copy of the labwork to my regular doctor, who prescribed Synthroid 50 mcg, which I started taking this morning.

I'm a little depressed because I was doing so well on the diet and I've read a lot of stories about people's weight loss virtually STOPPING when they start taking thyroid meds. It's always been hard for me to lose weight, so another obstacle isn't what I really wanted to find out about in my blood test.

My weight seems to have shot up in the past 4 years, I've gained probably 50-60 lbs. in that amount of time. A few months ago my TSH tested high but my doctor didn't do anything about it because it was right on the "border" of normal and high. So here I am... I still have about 140 lbs. to lose and I'm scared that I'm doomed to be heavy forever now and will never reach my goal

My diet plan from the clinic uses high protein/low fat/low carb, plus soy-based protein nutrient supplements. So far the program's been working great and I haven't felt hungry at all while still losing the weight. My blood pressure's the best it's been in 10 years. My family helped pay for the program because it was quite expensive, on account of the fact that I'm getting married next year and want to lose this weight and be healthy enough to start a family with my fiance. I was just wondering if anyone else is Hypothyroid and how you're dealing with it, in terms of your weight loss? For meds I currently take birth control pills, Lexapro/Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression, and metoprolol for high blood pressure. I really didn't want to have to add another pill to the daily mix, but if it's the only thing that will stabilize my body and fix it, then hopefully I can go off the BP and depression meds when I lose a little more weight.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Nicole1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/130/128

Height: 5,6

I have started taking synthroid about 5 months ago. I was feeling really tired and lazy before that and now I have more energy as it stimulates your metabolism. You should not be worried about weight gain due to the taking of these meds, at least that is what my experience has shown. I gain weight for other reasons related to my eating habits.
Good luck!
Natalia32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #3  

Hi Nicole and welcome. I am new to the boards too. I started my journey about 17 months ago when I was told I was hypothyroid. Taking synthroid changed my life! I had been so tired, sluggish, gainning pound after pound and soooo depressed. I was about 315lbs. It took a while for the doctor to get me up to a strong enough dose of the synthroid. But once it kicked in I really started to feel better and...I have lost 80lbs. so far. I am still working at it but the meds. did not stop the weight loss. The underactive thyroid did. Best of luck to you
Jo
JozieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
Meg

Nicole, we have several members who have lost large amounts of weight while hypothyroid, including myself. Please take the pill -- it's the best thing you can do for yourself and your weight loss! Don't worry, Synthroid doesn't cause weight gain. It's the untreated hypothyroidism that makes it almost impossible to lose weight (so on the 13 pounds - that's amazing!), so once your TSH is normalized, you should do just fine.

I was diagnosed in 1995 and always wanted to use being hypothyroid as my excuse for being obese. My doctor was very unsympathetic and said that once my TSH was in the correct range that I should be able to lose like a normal person. And son of a gun, she and her tough love were right! When I stopped kidding myself about what I was eating and how I was not exercising, the weight came off fast -- 122 pounds in a year. And it's been off for almost six years now, despite being hypo. True, we may have to eat a little less and work out a little more, but that's OK and well-worth it.

Your program sounds really good for someone who's hypo. A lot of us find that we need to be careful with carbs. I lost my weight on a fairly high protein, lower carb diet that sounds a lot like what you're doing. Don't forget to exercise -- it's key to weight loss!

Best of luck to you -- you're going to do great now.

And Jozie -- good job on the 80 pounds gone!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #5  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and put on Synthroid about 15 years ago (I was high school), and I don't think it hindered my weight loss at all. Good luck!
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #6  

Be careful of the soy products - they can inhibit the absorption of your medications. A good place for info is www.thyroid.about.com. Your diet should be fine. Be sure to get exercise. Your thyroid is bare over the normal range so you shouldn't have trouble losing. Mine was 127 - yes, that is correct - when I was diagnosed and I've been on Synthroid for 13 years and maintained a 200 pound weight loss. Keep posting!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  
Meg

Quilter -- 127??!! Holy cow, that's the highest I've ever heard! Wow, you've come a long way.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Just chiming in to say that I agree with Meg (as usual) and the others that the synthroid will not affect your weight loss in a negative way. Once your thyroid levels are corrected, it should be a bit easier to lose weight than before.

I consider myself lucky in that I didn't know I was hypothyroid until I had already lost about 75 lbs. At that point, couldn't nobody tell me that being hypothyroid would make it impossible to lose weight. I couldn't particularly tell that the synthroid made it easier, but it didn't make it any more difficult. Everything I have read says that it will make it easier, so I'm accepting that at face value.

As quilter mentioned, I have also read some reports that say beware of eating too much soy if you're hypothyroid. I've not yet seen any recommendations for how much soy is too much. Something to ask my doctor about at my next checkup, I guess.

Good Luck! You are doing a great thing for yourself and weight loss is definitely within your reach.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 258 / 254 / 150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia32 View Post
I have started taking synthroid about 5 months ago. I was feeling really tired and lazy before that and now I have more energy as it stimulates your metabolism. You should not be worried about weight gain due to the taking of these meds, at least that is what my experience has shown. I gain weight for other reasons related to my eating habits.
Good luck!
Same here! If anything it helped me tremendously.

I've already heard you can regulate your thyroid naturally by doing a lot of exercise, this is my ultimate goal.

I'm also on Synthroid.
Jen071310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Just had to jump in and confirm what everyone else is saying. I'm hypo also and have been on thyroid meds for close to 15 years. I've been on 250 mcg for a few years now and have lost weight despite the thyroid.

Sounds like you're doing really well too. Keep up the good work!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

I'm in the same boat as pretty much everyone else. I was dx with hypothyroid a couple years back and have been on synthroid since. Right now I'm taking 112 mcg. It's funny though, becasue I was talking to my boyfriend's aunt once and telling her how when my level even out by taking the medicine, I would hopefully be able to lose weight like a "normal person." She then said to be, "if I were you, I'd take 2!" She really didn't mean it in a bad way (she doesn't speak english very well) but some people just don't get it! haha
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Both me and my dog (yes, really) have lost weight while on thyroid meds.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
Both me and my dog (yes, really) have lost weight while on thyroid meds.

That's funny you mention your dog, because my dog is also hypo! hehe
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

He looks like he's due for his meds in this shot...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #15  
bookgirl46

S/C/G: 296/291/190

Height: 5' 8"

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with hypo due to hasimoto's syndrome - my number was 26 and I felt horrible before I self diagnosed and went to the doctor. I was extremelly tired, unexplained weight gain and my hair was breaking. I've always been heavy but gained about 40 pounds fast. Doctor tried to say I was depressed but I pushed for blood test. Took a little while to get under control but now I take 150 of levoxyl. Feel much better but weight loss is very hard and slow. Doctor said it would be twice as hard as before and he was right. For 2008 I've got to add some vigorous daily exercise. I have a physical job but my body is used to that - have to add more. Hang in there!
bookgirl46 is offline   Reply With Quote