Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 04:10 PM   #1  

Post Thyroid Thread for January

I thought our other thread was getting too full so started this one.

I hope everyone is doing well. My goal for this year is to reach my personal goal of 150 and STAY THERE! I'm also trying to increase my exercise, but that is wholly dependent on how my asthma is doing...not really good right now.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:32 PM   #2  

i hope your asthma gets better, quilter. i thought of you when i was at a thrift store recently...i found a bunch of books on quilting. :-)

you'll get to your personal goal this year, i'm sure. you are so very close, which is probably also the annoying thing. heh.

i've still been walking. i skipped it tuesday, cuz i was tired, and i thought i would be more awake if i slept longer. unfortunately, i was wrong. oh well.

today, i saw 2 rabbits (or maybe the same rabbit twice), and a bunch of birds. i met this one guy while i was finishing my walk, and he seemed really creepy. didn't even acknowledge my hello, or anything. i think i'm gonna start carrying pepper spray.

what have you all been doing?
Old 01-09-2002, 06:36 PM   #3  
banned

hi all.

im still here. doing ok, tho i only lost 3/4 this week.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:55 PM   #4  

i've lost 2lbs. i kept weighting myself over the weekend until the digital scale said what i wanted it to say. heh.

i'm still walking, and i got my pepper spray, so i feel safer when i walk in the mornings.

school is horrible, and i have lots of writing and reading to do. oh well. no sense griping too much.

what's up with you guys?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:46 AM   #5  

I think I need to get checked again...been awakened every night this week with cramps in my legs and my hands are cramping as well plus I've been tired again and I'm getting hoarse...usually means I need more medication.

Other than that, I'm doing good. Keeping the carbs down and that helps with my weight.

Teaching a quilting class next week, so got to get my class materials together and get some handouts made.

The sun finally came out today so I think I'll go for a little walk at lunch time.

Have a good weekend!
Old 01-18-2002, 12:15 PM   #6  
cookies are for browsers

HI,

Did any of you have problems getting diagnosed? I have almost all of the symptoms but when I get my thyroid tested it falls within the normal range.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:04 AM   #7  

I didn't have any trouble being diagnosed...I was so far out of range. Even at that, I was at the doctor for bronchitis and she said my thyroid was very swollen and should be checked. Dumb me just thought I was getting old and that all those symptoms were from asthma and age!

Do you know what your numbers are? You may be very close to going over but still in the normal range. Try and talk your doctor into trying a low dose for a month and see if you feel any better.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:14 AM   #8  

my levels are in the normal range also....borderline, though.

kaiser wouldnt' give me a prescription, because i'm normal. however, i paid out of pocket to go to a doctor that deals with thyroid stuff often (women only office...very cool), and she did all the tests and decided to put me on armour thyroid medication even though i am borderline.

sometimes you really need to complain. doctors aren't used to looking for thyroid stuff, and a lot of other health problems are thyroid based, but they don't treat the cause.

case in point, i always had horrible cramps and stomach issues during my period. my gyno said, oh, it's normal. get used to it. since i've been on the medication, i don't have any of these things anymore. i can function fully during my period, which is somehting i could never do before. that was worht the money i spent.

be the squeaky wheel...you gotta watch out for yourself, cuz the doctors are usually too busy to do that.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:41 AM   #9  

Trixie is right...if you are borderline, you'll have to be aggressive to get them to do anything.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:21 PM   #10  
cookies are for browsers

Dear Quilter & Trixiepup -

Thank you for your input. I have tested in the normal ranges but I do have the symptoms and I have had 2 docs tell me that's what they think is going on. It is so disruptive, I can't believe docs are so reluctant to help people. I've read Dr. Vliet's book Screaming To Be Heard and she says to be really demanding, too. If you have any more advice on how to find a doc that will treat borderline patients, do let us know.

Thanks again!

PS - You are an inspiration - your numbers look great and I'll bet you do too!
Old 01-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #11  
banned

jenn,

yr lucky you are BL. i cant even get my endo to see that far. she say theres nothing.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #12  

To put a little insight into why the doctors are reluctant to treat borderline, too much thyroid can cause heart problems and even death. It's really a touchy area. The symptoms are also found with many other diseases so if the tests are normal, perhaps you need to look at other causes as well.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:49 PM   #13  
cookies are for browsers

Thanks again for your input.

I am getting new tests done this week, we'll see how they turn out.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:26 AM   #14  

Hello ladies I'm very new here so please excuse my budding in. I was diagnosed Hypothyroid about 1 1/2 yrs ago. My doc keeps telling me to lose weight (I quit smoking 3 yrs ago) I stay on WW and can't seem to loose much. I wonder if my meds are just out of wack. Doc checks me every 6 months and says meds are fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm at the point where I don't even mind if I don't loose (need to loose 50lbs) I just don't want to gain anymore. Thanks,
Old 01-26-2002, 11:08 AM   #15  
banned

pet,

welcome!!!!!! i hear ya. im in the same boat and have 50 to lose too. have you considered doing the low carb version of ww? or, if you prefer, i can give you my version of the greenwich plan. good luck!!
Closed Thread