Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #16  

Location: Teeeeeeeeeeeeeny, tinnnnnnnnnnny "town" in Middle Georgia

IBS related illnesses cause havoc on anyone wanting to diet! I have IBS and Crohn's disease. I usually don't even think about the IBS because I just lump the two together and consider whatever my symptom is to be Crohn's. It's tough really. I know some of my trigger foods but others are iffy. I avoid tomatoes, grains, seeds, raw veggies, nuts, cheese, anything fried, etc. I am a lot of meds for my Crohn's which is a concern too, I worry about my liver. I haven't ever heard of hypnotherapy but am going to look it up for sure. Keep in touch!
HaddockTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Well, here's another question. Anyone else have IBS attacks when you get chilled, like walking into a highly air-conditioned room? Hubby and I both also get this.
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #18  
girl wonder extradonaire

Height: 5"6.5

Hello all,

Just when I think I have it figured out I get sick and have to start all over at the beginning again..

HaddockTeacher a couple of things...do you have problems in regards to your weight loss because of the chrons/ibs??? I have lost a larger amount of weight mostly from the lack of eating when I was really sick and the extreme change in my diet..now that i am trying to actually lose weight by excercising it's not happening..Im concerned my body thinks im starving it..since I am excercising quite a bit and sometimes don't feel good enough to eat alot of food.especially things like veggies and fruit and whole grains..which give me a really hard time...

and secondly I highly reccomend Hypnotherapy...for me it has helped immensley in regards to the anxiety aspect of my IBS...that's the main thing it works on..it helps with symptoms as well... I went from not being able to leave the house to returning to a more normal daily life...I am still not where I used to be pre-diagnoses but it's a huge improvement..if you are interested I could let you know what cds I use...

Ayaussy, I am actually the opposite I can be set off due to extreme heat..well it's more the shift suddenly from colder to hotter.

that was much longer than I expected it to be..

have a good night

shannon
wondersha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #19  

Oh, the temperature change might be it. I do notice problems going from the heat into airco and just assumed it was the cold.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #20  

Unfortunately, you can count me into this club of IBS-D sufferers. I've suffered with it for years, my mom and sister have it too. Maybe it's genetic? For me, the foods that bother me the most are red meat, fried foods, whole grains, some fruit, salads, corn, sometimes vegetables and peanuts. I've learned to attempt to stay away from these foods as much as possible, although I have been eating whole grains for the last 2 weeks (when I started my diet) with no problem. Not sure why. Eating potato chips and dairy do not seem to be a problem for me. I don't take a fiber supplement or eat probiotic yogurt because I think it would make me worse. It sure makes dieting very difficult. Going out to eat is a nightmare. Oh, and anxiety brings it on big time for me.
cdncatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #21  

Location: Teeeeeeeeeeeeeny, tinnnnnnnnnnny "town" in Middle Georgia

Wonder,
I completely understand the "starting over" thing. I got really sick this winter with Crohn's related stuff and ended up losing a little over 25 lbs in about 3 months or less. It went right back on REALLY fast with a round of Pred. and now it's not budging no where near as fast. I haven't tried hypnotherapy but would love some information on it if you would send me a message. It is very frustrating.
HaddockTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #22  
Mel

Count me in, except it was misdiagnosed. My mother, son and I were all told we had IBS (mine is pretty mild) but with further testing we've all been diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. We all follow a completely gluten-free diet and are symptom free as long as we don't get inadvertently glutened. Eating out is a nightmare because contamination can happen so easily. For example, my son ordered French fries after making sure that they weren't battered. He was sick for 5 days because the restaurant used the same oil for the fries and the onion rings. Sigh...live and learn.

April Marie- You can test positive for wheat allergy, gluten intolerance or Celiac's for years with no symptoms and then have the illness triggered by some other physical trauma or just length of exposure. My mother had no symptoms until she was 71. My son started having severe symptoms at age 16 after a horrible bout of poison ivy that required a six week course of predisone.

Thank heavens I can eat all the fruit and vegies I want, though, because otherwise a standard gluten free diet seems to be a lot higher in calories than being able to eat wheat, barley and rye grains.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #23  

Good morning-I have IBS and diverticulosis and wheat, milk and soy sensitivities.Also may have a rectocele-a weakening of the muscle between the vagina and colon.
Stress def. makes it worse=last year I tried acupuncture and it really seemed to help-they put the needles in your knees. and ankles-funny!!
I am having a colonoscopy on Monday and then they will decide what to do for me. Doc thinks IBS is more of the culprit. My diet is very limited-no raw fr. or veg. no seeds, dairy, wheat. I hope thay can do something for me. Anyone tried any meds??? Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #24  

I was postulating on another thread about my IBS symptoms maybe being gallbladder related, but this morning had the same IBS-D I've been getting for months and the gallbladder was out Wednesday, so I guess that wasn't it! Great tips from all of you here - thanks so much for sharing.

BTW, the surgeon for the gallbladder mentioned an antacid that helps with post gallbladder digestion problems, and another prescription. I'll find out which ones for sure. Why did Zelnorm get taken off the market??
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #25  

I don't know but it had awful side effects. Mima
Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #26  
I'm gettin there

S/C/G: 231/190/155

Height: 5 foot 7

I have been taking zelnorm for the past year not for IBS but for complications caused by endometriosis. Last week I tried to refill my prescription and they told me it was taken off because the FDA came to the conclusion that it wasn't as safe as the originally thought. So I came home and did some research and it's due to it increasing the risks and the number of people having heartattacks and strokes in from what i understand to be in people who normally wouldn't be at risk.

you can find more info at www.zelnorm-recall.com
metalgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #27  

Wow, thanks. Sounds like the problems with NSAIDs that's been so heavily covered in the news. It's pretty ironic with how medication-oriented we've gotten.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #28  

BTW, the medication for post-gallbladder surgery diarrhea is Cholestyramine. I am certain it's not the problem for me because I had it before the GB surgery. I have seemed to hit a decent level of control using DanActive and Beano. Anyone else use these?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #29  

Well, i am done with my tests and Doc concludes that it is IBS and I need fiber. Been taking Miralax for constipation and it works so good-I don't need it every night. But I am recovering from a really bad attack of either diverticulitis or ibs. And I am supposed to go away to work tomorrow-def a stress situation. There always seems to be a stress situation around attacks. And eating wrong foods which is just about everything. I am really bummed out about this. Since I have extensive diverticulosis I am perplexed. I could go back for the accupuncture or try hypnotherapy. Bye for now Mima
Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #30  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

IBS can be so miserable for me, and I have a mild case. I've had symptoms since I was a kid, mostly caused by nerves and a very stressful childhood. As an adult, at least 3 times a week I was used to getting sick and having to stay up most of the night dealing with it. I think a lot of that had to do with my eating habits... Fast food and other greasy foods really set mine off. Since I have started eating better, I have felt so much better! Now when I slip and have food I shouldn't, I end up sick and it's just another reason to stay away on the diet.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote