Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #1  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Default Quitting Smoking and Weight Gain

Okay, so like many of us around New Years, I AM QUITTING SMOKING!
This is not a Resolution, because I have been thinking about this for months--I just needed to get through the holidays one more time with my 'crutch'!

Anyway, I figured that this thread could help lots of folks like me, who consider quitting an 'obstacle'.

I am currently 209lb as of my last MD weigh-in, which was a slap in the face--I didn't think I'd gained that much over the holidays! Knowing, from research, that the average quitter will put on 5-10 lbs during their quit, I am curious to know if any of you other chicks have done this successfully without packing on mondo pounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I get confusing messages from different websites--don't worry about weight loss until AFTER so many months quit, worry about wieght BEFORE you quit, exercise WHILE quitting--I'm not sure what is the best option!
Thanks!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #2  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I gained ten pounds.. I just weighed in this am.. I'm very bumed... good luck with quitting smoking! you can do it!
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #3  

I used to smoke two packs a day. I quit 30 years ago, and when I quit, I lost 20 pounds! I had a great idea that I tried that worked really well for me. Smoking for me was an oral fixation. I wanted something in my mouth...so I replaced the cigarette with a glass of iced tea. (yes, it was summer...) Every time I craved a cigarette, I got a glass of ice tea and sucked on it instead. I drank so much tea to start with, I was probably fully hydrated for the first time in my life! I lost 20 pounds in three months and totally kicked the nicotine habit. I have not smoked since...in fact, it makes me very ill to even be around people who are smoking now.

I do have a good bit of weight to lose now, but it was mostly gained through pregnancies, and thyroid issues. Not ceasing smoking!

You can do it! Your lungs will thank you! I never get colds anymore, and it is awesome to be able to breathe easily. Good luck!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #4  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Smoking for me was an oral fixation.
Mine is both oral and boredom-triggered--mostly in the car! I am going to hit the car craves with DumDum Pops: they are small enough to finish one while driving to/from wherever I'm going, and will have the stick to hold and fondle as I would a cigarette.
I will also have to make sure that I carry tons of water with me--that sounds like a great Idea!
Thanks for all the help! 28 days to Quit Day!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/187/154

Height: 5'6"

Hi,
I quit smoking a year and a half ago by using Zyban. It really helped A LOT. I also quit drinking alchohol at the same time and lost 13 lbs without trying. With Zyban, I didn't find that I ate to compensate for the lack of cigarettes. The hardest times were when I would get agitated or upset about something and miss the cigarettes. But I would just think about how far I've come and not want to start over from scratch. Good luck and God bless.

Misa
IamMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #6  

I quit smoking 2 years ago. (Geez, has it really been that long?!) I DID gain bunches when I quit. I was chain smoking and to quit, I used DumDum suckers and hard candy. I hope I can say this but what REALLY helped me quit smoking was a web site called Quitnet.com. It is free to join. (Altho they do have a paid version available) Everyone there is going through the exact same thing you are! You can look up people by when they started their quit so there will always be someone to talk to in the same boat as you. If I remember right, there is a weight lose forum there to help you not gain weight. Good luck in your quit. You can do this! Just because I gained weight with mine does not mean that you will!! Everyone is different.
lewysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

I am quitting on Sat morning when I get up there will be no cigarettes only the patch. I hate the smell of it I hate the taste of it in my mouth I really hate no breathing like I should I am ready to kick this habit to the curb...Goodbye stinky and hello flower scented me!!!
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #8  

You GO Lucy! You can do it! You are going to FEEL so much healthier!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet View Post
You GO Lucy! You can do it! You are going to FEEL so much healthier!

Thank you I plan on posting alot, knitting & thanking God for getting rid of this addiction.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/182/160

HI Amy

I am in the same boat as you I think. I just quit in OCT and gained back my 14 pounds I lost following weight watchers last year! I need a weight loss buddy and a quit smoking buddy. You can email me if you want, I am not a weirdo, LOL! I have a daughter and Im a wife.
badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #11  

Cool I am quitting in the morning...hoping I don't gain to much weight but I really need to get rid of the cigs!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #12  

OK I quit I am done nada nothing zilch zip it has been 8 Hours 56 mins and 51 seconds I have saved $3.50 in money since quitting.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/182/160

Good for you! Keep me posted, email if you want, not sure if I should post that, but it's [email protected]
badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #14  

Thanks Amy I am e-mailing you but take your e-mail out of your post now so you don't get any spam.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #15  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good luck ladies,

I highly recommend Quitnet.com just like lewysgal suggested. You can plug in your quit date, the amount you smoke and the price of your cigs and it starts to run a tally on how many cigarettes you didn't smoke, days of your life saved and money saved. I quit almost 3 years ago and I still check in with them periodically. The people on the boards are very helpful and committed to helping anyone who posts.

I did gain a bunch of weight afterwards but it was a slow gain over a year's time - it made the decision to quit all the more difficult - BUT it was the right one to do. I still miss the cigarettes sometimes tho I really notice the smell now and it's pretty stinky to me. It's nice not to be coughing and clearing your throat all the time. Nicer still not to sit and fidget in places, waiting till you can escape and go have a smoke.

I didn't want to eat candy so my "trick" for the first few months was to cut a straw in half and I'd hold it or take a "drag" when I'd get cravings. That would get me past the oral fixation and it's zero calories. They also tell you to take a few deep breaths when a craving hits. I also starting drinking lots of water.

You metabolism will take a tiny bump downwards once you quit the nicotine but you can counter that by adding some exercise into your day. March in place until a craving passes. Take the stairs and notice how you're getting less out of breath. Exercising got better once I had more stamina as my lungs healed.

Mark down all the reasons you wanted to quit so you can read them again if you've feeling a weak moment. Remember - a craving only lasts for 3 minutes on average. Those first few weeks they may come every 10 minutes but they will get farther apart as time goes on. Stay strong and you can do this.

The other thing I'd suggest is for the first year at least, every week take the money you would have normally spent on cigarettes and put it into a jar. I wish I had done that - would have had over $6,000 by now. It adds up.

Wishing you the best of luck...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote