Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

I have been over to quitnet.com and it has been really helpful thanks for the suggestion. It has now been 1 day, 8 hours, 13 minutes, 45 seconds and I have saved $8.22 so far. I have really been doing pretty dang well I do need to stop the dumdum's I ate by far to many yesterday but it was my first day so I was allowing them whenever I wanted it, today I am limiting them and am going to use exercise(5lbs weights) when I feel the urge to smoke. I had planned on that yesterday as well but had a horrible headache most of the day, so I went off diet plan but it is only one day in the grand scheme of things it will not be much. If I gain a few extra pounds now well I can get those off more easily then giving back in to my addiction so I have added 2 more snacks to my plan for right now I will take them away later. The dumdum's that I have been using are getting to be a bit of an addiction themselves so I am also limiting the amount that I use everyday within reason. Yesterday was the first day so I am thinking that as it gets better each day I can cut away more of the candy.
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #17  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Well, I quit! I DID IT! (If only I had the willpower to diet as well as I quit smoking !!! )
Today is day three of **** Week. I belive that it is due to the Wellbutrin, but I have had pretty much NO w/d symptoms whatsoever. Also, since over the weekend, I drank around 64 oz of OJ (with 4 TS of Cream of Tartar mixed in)--this helped flush out the Nick much faster (Nick hates Acid, so I've been 'dropping acid' like it's the '80's all over again!)
I have only needed to rely on the DumDums 3 times since Friday--Smoking in the car was always my weakness, so I can suck half a DD on the way to/from most places I go (I just rewrap or chuck in the trash.) I did, however, let myself eat WHATEVER I wanted over the first 2 days of quit, and I have to say--I didn't go nearly as crazy as I thought I would (yes, I had Krispy Kreme, and Pizza, but not also the ice cream, cookies and pie that were on my original list of 'what I want to splurge on'). I'm quite proud of myself for how I've handled my quit (pat myself on the back). Like I said above, NOW if I can apply these principles to taking care of the FAT!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #18  
On the Path

S/C/G: 400/280/150

Hopefully by now you've made it past the 72 hour mark...that's pretty rough. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

I quit on 1/22 of this year, but have been officially smoke-free since 1/25. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I made up my mind that I would begin weight loss after quitting smoking -- otherwise, I'd find reasons not to quit.

I was worried about the weight gain, too, but I don't notice a difference in my clothes...but the way I figured it (and hopefully this isn't stepping on any toes) is that the worst case scenario would be that I *would* gain weight...and if I did, I'd deal with that, too, but quitting smoking for me was important enough to deal with any possible consequences.

As a nurse friend of mine put it (who gained considerable weight when she quit), "I've always been a chubby chick. Now I'm a chubby chick who doesn't smoke."

Quitting smoking is the single best gift I've ever given myself, and the feeling of power that comes along with it is immeasurable. It's step that made me feel so much more in control of myself, and my life, and gave me confidence that I would be able to lead a healthier life, and I will be able to lose the weight I need to.

A couple of things that might help:

1) It took me a couple of attempts to quit. If you don't make it, don't give up. Put it down and try again. If you're truly committed, it *will* happen.

2) Sunflower seeds are a godsend. They take care of the hand-to-mouth habit very well. Eat them singly, and take the time to crack, shell, and discard before you actually eat the seed.

3) I had to hide from my smoking friends (and still am from some of them, but that's another issue). I had been sabotaged in the past by "friends," and found it very hard to stick to my plan when I was around people who didn't like the fact that I was changing my behavior.

I wish anyone quitting the best of luck. It's certainly not easy, but it can be done.
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote