Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today I am making beef ravioli with meat sauce. DH wanted to go out to eat but we are having high winds today so we are staying in. Both the meat sauce and the ravioli cooks on the stove and DH can light the gas stove if the power goes out, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

I cooked 1 fried egg with a slice of SL toast for brunch. That was a big change from the big plate of scrambled eggs,DH usually cooks. I'm not sure this change is best for me because my eggs at brunch are a big portion of my daily protein. But this guarantees that I will be hungry for dinner. I am hardly ever hungry because I eat big meals. I will be below 1000 calories today but I'm going to see how it goes. I'm just testing, trying to find a change that will work for me.

Does this mean you have 2 more chemo treatments and then the surgery? What an ordeal. God is giving you the strength to go through this. Bless you.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue, Yes as far as I know I just have 2 more chemotherapies and then I should be getting ready to have surgery when they think I'm able. I'm not sure what the protocol is for it as of yet.

I've been getting up today and walking around the house trying to get my legs stronger also hoping some of the swelling in my legs will go down. I would kind of like to be able to walk into oncology using my walker on the tenth. It is easier for me to use the wheelchair but not it is easier for DH.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:26 AM   #78  

I am a little afraid to be so excited that the scale showed 181.0 this morning. I want to fight to get back to the 170s. Doing so without being sick would be fantastic! I keep telling DH that he is addicted to gambling so he's telling me I'm addicted to food. He's partially right but I told him food is necessary for life but gambling is not. He doesn't realize it but he is strengthening my resolve to show him that I can and will lose weight.

Today we need to go to the meat store for ground beef and I have a list for Wal-Mart ready. They called about a prescription that's ready.

Trish,good for you for working on strengthening your legs. It scares me a bit that you want to walk with your walker but its great for you if you can do it without a struggle. Please be careful.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #79  

Carol Sue, The main reason I am moving more is not only to strengthen my legs but I am hoping some of the swelling will go down. I believe it worked some. I am getting tired of sitting around. I am reminding myself that there will be a day this will be over and I will be well.

Hope you will be able to start losing again. It will happen.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #80  

I stayed off the scale this morning but might change my mind. I didn't actually overeat yesterday but I wanted to undereat and didn't, if that makes sense. I am getting better at staying in my window and staying at or below my calories and carbs. I'm still working on eating when hungry. Its hard because I usually eat too much and then never get hungry.

I do hope your swelling goes down, Trish. Did you talk to the doctor about the swelling? Is it normal, and do they expect it to go away? Is it just fluid retention? We already know about fluid retention. I do think activity is supposed to help but it might be different with chemo. How are your new flip flops working for you? We were watching golf yesterday and most people were wearing shorts, then I saw that it was in Texas. Our weather isn't warm enough yet for shorts, or flip flops.

I want to make stuffed cabbage rolls today and hope they don't dry out like last time. I bought bigger cans of diced tomatoes and tomato puree. I will also set a timer to check them in case I fall asleep.

I did not weigh. I started the cabbage rolls early and they went in the oven by 10am. I usually put them in at 11 am. Now the halushki is,done and we are eating it for brunch.

For years I had a habit of letting my blood sugar run a little high to avoid a hypo. I'm now finding if I let it go lower I sleep better and have more energy during the day. This morning I was like the energizer bunny! I just have to be careful with my meds.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-03-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:54 PM   #81  

Carol Sue, you are doing good if you are able to at least stay within your eating window. I think I probably still eat within 8 hr window most days and probably will always eat that way.

I think the walking is helping keep the swelling down some. Some of the swelling is one of the side effects of the chemo medicine that I won't be getting during my last chemo treatment. I am hoping that now that my blood count etc is better than it was before the blood transfusion maybe I will be able to move around better after this next one and the swelling won't be so bad. DH still has to help me get in and out of bed and dress. But once I'm up, he goes back to bed. Then I get up once every hour and walk around and if I need to. I go to the bathroom. My goal is to continue doing this as much as possible after my chemotherapy next Monday or as soon as I can. Since I won't have that medicine again in the last chemotherapy, it is my hope that the side affects won't be so bad because there will be no swelling. I hope this will mean that I recovery for surgery wil be quicker and I won't have as much trouble walking and moving around. This would be nice if I could get around pretty well because DH son and family will be visiting here from IN that week. Even if I couldn't go any where with them, DH could and I could stay alone all day without having to depend on my sister to come stay with me.

Have a nice day.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #82  

Ok, now I understand about the swelling. I also hope that the last chemo treatment is better and you are able to regain your strength after that.

My cabbage rolls,were good but I overate and feel stuffed. I fell asleep again. I wish I could stop that. I had 2 naps yesterday, 2 hours in the afternoon and 1 hour in the evening. This morning I had so much energy but after I ate lunch that ended. That never used to happen. I guess I eat too much but it doesn't feel like it when I'm eating. I feel like I'm sleeping my life away. Right now I'm struggling to stay awake until I can go to bed at 9 o'clock.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #83  

Scale up .4. That's ok. I slept well again last night. Feeling good this morning. DH is cooking sauteed mushrooms and scrambled eggs, but I asked for them, so its ok. After that I will take a shower and clean the bathroom, while I still have energy. Maybe if I keep busy I won't fall asleep.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:35 PM   #84  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI there: have not been weighing either. I still feel the weight I gained, and clothes are not looser. I have not fasted either. And have been eating carbs.
I planned to fast yesterday, but Sunday evening started having foot pain and it was bad overnight as well. I was taking pain meds and I need to eat a bit with them. The lower abdominal pain is still there and bad at times. I may have to do an elimination diet again just to see what I can do for it, if anything. I did find that even GF oats were causing problems. SO they are now out of the house, gave what I had to my celiac neighbour who seems fine with oats.
Doing ok today, but did not sleep well. Younger DD is coming for a short visit this afternoon. I will walk the dog in a bit, and be ready for her visit.

Carol: I agree, just stick to plan, make sure to get out for some exercise, and see what happens. Weighing too often does not help.
Trish: your cancer journey is fascinating to read, and I hope things go well. You are learning how you respond to chemo and what works for you.

Have a nice spring day, everyone
Old 04-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #85  

Scale is up another .2. Not good,but still 181. To be honest,I'm not overeating my meals but I'm snacking, and I don't have anything healthy to snack on. I am still aiming for eating only when hungry but I so rarely get hungry. I think this is my body feeding on stored glucose and fat. I hear so much about how bad it is to cut calories way back but I'm just not hungry! Hunger is not craving. Hunger is an empty feeling in your stomach. Craving is "I want to eat this or that.". Last night I was craving a salami sandwich but we have no salami. If I did I would have eaten it, even though I was not hungry. And I gained weight anyway. Just thinking about it.

We went for haircuts yesterday. I did not sleep well last night, due to current events. Poor sleep could have caused the bump up on the scale. I am going to try not to nap today. Changes need to be made. I need to make it happen. I'm trying to convince myself.

Mad,it's so hard to get back on track once you lose your momentum. You can do it! I am concerned about your pain after what I went thru. I hope it stops.

Trish, I miss you and hope you're ok.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:12 PM   #86  
Madeleine

Hi there, well got on the scale since I finally had a good BM last night. This am am 178. Going to fast today. I managed a low carb day yesterday too. I have found in the past that I do better with fasting if I have a low carb day before I fast. Carbs make me hungry and give me cravings. That is a truth for me.
My feet have been bad so have not been walking much. Started with my left being sore at the crease, then underfoot on my right, and now the right is swollen with a big bruise on top.
I managed to have a short walk with Buddy this morning though.
Still very tired, even after a decent sleep. Going to make coffee, which I do not like and hope that gets me through the day.

best wishes friends.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #87  

Carol Sue, I'm sure you haven't actually gained any weight. It is just a temperary thing. I also think it is good that DH cooked eggs when you asked him too. Maybe he will get used to doing it that way.

Fatmad, It is always good to hear from you. From something you said, are you having problems with GF now too? Hope you enjoyed your DD visit.

Nothing new happening here. This is my week before next round of chemo so I am moving around as much as possible while also resting up for next week. I have 3rd chemotherapy Monday and then go into 14 days when my immune system dips. I always pray that side effects won't be so bad. At least at this point, it is my hope that this will be the last one of this tough one.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:50 PM   #88  

Trish, I also hope that this is the last of the tough ones. I want to see you get your strength back and be able to do more of the things you were doing before. I hope you are,feeling better when DHs son and family come for a visit. You would be able to enjoy the visit.

I still does not know what step daughter is,doing for Easter. They were inviting her in-laws but I don't know if they accepted the invitation. We are going to step sons. I hope they serve something that DH will eat, he is so picky and DlL still can't eat meat from when she had covid. I am going to cook a ham so we will have something to eat at home,just in case. I will be happy to see DGS again.

Step daughter came today to get leftover stuffed cabbage. We got tired of it after 2 days. I kept one for my lunch tomorrow.
​​​​
Old 04-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #89  

Scale down .2 today. I want to see 180.

Today I will make beets with horseradish for Easter. It is a Slovak tradition in DHs family. His mother made it with fresh beets and fresh horseradish. I use canned beets and jarred horseradish. No one can tell the difference. On Friday or Saturday I will make another tradition, Easter Cheese, which is not really cheese. It is made with eggs and whole milk cooked until it curdles and the whey separates. You drain it and wrap it in cheese cloth to form a ball and it looks like cheese. I like to cut a slice and top it with beet horseradish. Some like to put the beet horseradish on ham.

BBL
Old 04-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #90  
Madeleine

Carol: I love these traditions. My friend is polish ukrainian and makes special traditional foods for the holidays as well. I can't eat much of it now, but its delicious.

Trish: just oats seem to be a real a issue. I get loose BMS from that now. So they are gone. Other GF stuff, like rice flour, has a tendency to bind me up, but I don't eat that as much, and can deal with it in other ways. I can manage plain rice on occasion though. Having digestive issues in general seems to go with celiac. I would say it has gotten worse with time.
Funny though, I don't tend to avoid food, in spite of it all, LOL.

DH is away today. I did OMAD yesterday, and low carb to boot. I am thinking of same for today.

I go to the doctor this afternoon, have a nasty bruise on my foot, and its affecting my ability to walk etc. I want an X-ray, and will agree to the bone scan she suggested. I have no idea how I hurt my foot though. I do not want to be laid up, but sometimes there is no choice.

Have a good day friends: happy Easter if we don't connect again this weekend.
Closed Thread